It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Arabs say "Allah" when making love?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Do Buddhists say "Buddha"?

And who do Hindu's say?

I can say from personal research
and books and movies that it is not uncommon for Jews and Christians to say "God" and that it is not english specific. "Dieu" (French) and "Dios" (Spanish) and probably most frequently cried the Italian "Dio"

But why? And is this cross cultural with other religions?

Is it a primal, deep seeded, past life, regurgitated reflex?

Is it a spontaneous Glorification and injection of innocence and purification into something so seemingly self or mutually gratifying?

Is it a sub conscious reminder of why we're compelled to make love?

Why is this third entity included in such a private, intimate exchange?

And do other religions have this same vocabulary crop up in bed?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
And while we're at it -

It makes sense that we would cry "Oh God!" or "Jesus Christ" when we're scared or shocked. If you believe, you might want the immediate buffer as a protection.

And when we hurt ourselves, we are pissed for the lack of protection... "God Dammit" and we tend to go towards words less exalted that refer to lesser pleasant bathrooming or unromantic sex - censorship of bad words prevents me from examples - but you get my point.

It seems to me that the word "God" is very present in our involuntary bodily reaction language. Even for those who are not religious. That's interesting.

So, is this expletive use simply a cultural phenomenon or do we see this in the Middle East, Asia and in non-catholic parts of Africa, and indigenous tribes through out the world?

And what do we think it means psychologically? spiritually? Historically?

[edit on 1/31/2009 by trusername]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Well there are plenty of Latin blokes called Jesus... Shouting that out inappropriately could cause all sorts of confusion.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm thinking this is a nice Valentine's Day thread

second line

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Yes, I thought of that actually. That doesn't count, I think.

hee hee - sort of puts a new spin on... if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
its true that as muslims we consciously remember God before we make love. Actually we remember God in all our emotional states.

Your right that we all invoke-or call out to God- in heightened emotional states. for example whether you believe in him or not if you've just had an accident or witnessed something amazing you instinctively utter "My God!"

The reason why as muslims we remember God-and say a prayer-before making love; is to protect ourselves and and any resulting children from the Satan.

source: Narrate Ibn Abbās (may Allāh be pleased with him): Prophet Muhammad (may Allāh's blessings and peace be upon him) said, If anyone of you, before having sexual intercourse with his wife says:

Bismillāh Allāhumma jannibnash-shaytān wa jannibi sh-shaytāna mā razaqtanā, and if it is destined that they should have a child, then satan will never be able to harm that child (Bukhārī)

The meaning of this supplication is: "In the Name of Allāh! O Allāh! Protect me from satan and protect what You bestow upon us (i.e. the offspring) from satan."

According to the Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessings be upon him) whenever a human eats- if you dont say "Bismillah" then Satan eats with you. that pretty much goes for most activities.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Your right that we all invoke-or call out to God- in heightened emotional states. for example whether you believe in him or not if you've just had an accident or witnessed something amazing you instinctively utter "My God!"

I in fact don't. I mostly say "excellent" or something to that effect.

According to the Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessings be upon him)

Perhaps a silly question, but why is that "may peace and blessing be upon him" nearly always mentioned in conjunction with "the messenger"? Is he going to need it (and I suppose it's a "he", otherwise women would have a much better status within that religion).

whenever a human eats- if you dont say "Bismillah" then Satan eats with you. that pretty much goes for most activities.

I'm sorry but I can't agree. I tend to be very sensitive to others being nearby. I would have noticed and it still hasn't happened. I would say that the likelihood for that to happen is abysmal.

[edit on 7/2/2009 by moniker]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Honestly I cant verbalize anything in a conversation (Or even sex) without first shouting some obscenities first.

Makes a great first impression.

"Hello there sir!"
"FUK U BUDDY! I mean Hiya."
"..."

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I've never cried out the name of a deity during sex. The last thing I need is the mental image of a bearded man in a dress who can see EVERYTHING going through my head. Likewise a bald, fat man with a smile on his face popping up.

I tend to just mutter obscenities, gasp and groan... not that any of you really wanted to know that I'm sure :shk:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I bet they yell "Allah Akbar" at the moment of climax.

[edit on 2/9/2009 by thehumbleone]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by JackofBlades

Haha that was lolz.I think i might bust out ALLAH next time im getting my freak on just to see what reaction i get.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
thanks for all these insights and the translations!

This thread is being continued on ATS under Psychology Philosophy

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join