It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This whole God/Gods thing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
If whatever god you believe in is as smart or all-knowing/powerful as you trust they are, does it really matter whether you call them by name or not?

Don't you think they'd know what your intentions are, good or bad?

I'm not even that vain, and I'm definitely not your god.

The first definition of "vain" on dictionary.com is

excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance, qualities, achievements, etc.

Which I've always understood to be a bad thing, but it's the exact thing most religions say about their creators.

The dictionary entry goes on to say

3. ineffectual or unsuccessful; futile: a vain effort.
4. without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless: vain pageantry; vain display.
5. Archaic. senseless or foolish.
—Idiom
6. in vain,
a. without effect or avail; to no purpose: to apologize in vain.
b. in an improper or irreverent manner: to take God's name in vain.

So basically you're all a bunch of jerks.

*Edit- I wasn't talking about any specific religion, but the general bickering that goes on between all of them about who or what did what and when, as if it were really important.

I wasn't mad when I made the post, it was just on my mind at the time.

[edit on 31-1-2009 by alaskan]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

-------------

My latest God video continueing on from WIG'N #14 answering the question do we have any power within ourselves?

Re: WIG'N #NO 14

/cbyald

-----------------------

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Is there a reason for posting that?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
So basically you're all a bunch of jerks.

Not sure I understand the connection of the (intellectual) definition of vain...and your last (emotion-based) statement above...

The only logical answer I can come up with is...you are upset at someone, who claims Christ...OT gonna need some more info to answer, ok?>

OT

Edit: Much clearer OP, there!

[edit on 31-1-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It's called a sense of humor.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Oh....sorry I thought you wanted a serious discussion on matters of eternity young man...

Sorry for being concerned...no time for jokes bud...happy posting!

OT
Romans 1:20

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I Believe our gods are no different than the ancient-greek ones. I dont believe in the Bible or any kind of books like that cuz they are filled with nonsense bullsht and Blood.

Tho when for instance, I burn myself I said 'Oh jeeeez'
goddammit
and many others... Those expressions have no more meaning than saying just 'sht'

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I reckon God has bigger things to worry about,other than what those stupid creatures running around creating havok on planet "Earth" do/say/think.

I've never "worshipped" ever in my life. Infact,I was an agnostic/athiest until earlier last year. (until I kind of "met God" ) I reckon it's pointless,spending too much time thinking about what God thinks of you. That being has an entire universe to create,"it" don't care if you just jerked off to the lady on the news or not. You are the one who has to deal with what you've done/what you do. And you'll relive it.So just think,next time you're doing something bad,you're watching yourslef do it,with company. (talking about the life review) That,IMO,is the only thing to keep in mind.

I've no idea what this thread was really about,but I've been drinking and thought I'd stick my oar in.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
OK, so do tell me why you are calling me and my ATS family jerks?

I'm probably the most jerky of the jerks because my God has many names. I find it easier to pray when I use one of the names I have for my God.

I will grant you that there have been extreme times that I've just screamed HELP. And you're right, He knows when I need Him.

I find it better to have a name to call my God and not just say, "Hey You. I'm talking to you".

From your post it seems someone has angered you. I'm sorry you feel anger.

If you are just joking then you are forgiven.

If you wish to have an adult discussion please go into more detail.

My God, the Father, the Holy Ghost and and Saviour does go by many names but is still most effective for me and I will ask him to bless you.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I wasn't talking about any specific religion, but the general bickering that goes on between all of them about who or what did what and when, as if it were really important.

I'll pray for you

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
I wasn't talking about any specific religion, but the general bickering that goes on between all of them about who or what did what and when, as if it were really important.

I'll pray for you

Bud, this post here is fair....your OP is confusing....still time to edit...

Yeah, bickering is wasteful!!!!

OT

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Steelers huh?

Kurt W's on God side!!!!!

Just joking!!!

OT
not sure who'll win!!??

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

This particular jerk has a question for you, which is: During this lifetime of 70 odd years or so, do you seek to uncover the mysteries of the Universe and our existence in it; whether there are invisible dimensions in which life forms of various kinds may exist; and whether there is a supreme intelligence which created us and manages the totality of creation; and what part you play in the overall scheme of things?

Please note that I have not mentioned Religion nor any kind of God, but aren’t you just a teeny bit curious as to what the full 10 layers of Human DNA are for, and not just the top 2; what happens to your Mommy after she’s dead, or whether there are any other inhabited planets in our Universe?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Thank you for your prayers. I truly need them as I quit smoking 31 days ago.

I did understand that you were not speaking about any certain religion. I just used my God as an example.

Most of all I agree that it is a waste of time and energy to argue about religion.

I will give you my version as to why it is important to know the history of when, how and to whom my God was speaking and doing things. I would think it would be the same when studying any religion.

When studying scripture it is beneficial to know who Jesus is talking to, when he was talking, what the people he was talking to were doing and to get a good general attitude of the situation that was occurring.

That's the reason the dates are important to me. It is a study aid so that I might understand what I am reading more easily.

Knowing the chronology of events also makes it easier to explain why Jesus said or did something.

When a person shares the story of their God it is much easier to explain when you can tell people why ( insert your God) is real and important to you. You do this with a series of events and outcomes.

I probably haven't explained that very well but hope it helps.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

I agree that if god is all powerful like everyone believes then he wouldn't care less what you call him or whether you "worship" him in any overt/official/customary manner. All that he would care about is what's on the inside, what you truly feel and follow in your heart and as such that's all that matters.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tallsorts

This particular jerk has a question for you, which is: During this lifetime of 70 odd years or so, do you seek to uncover the mysteries of the Universe and our existence in it; whether there are invisible dimensions in which life forms of various kinds may exist; and whether there is a supreme intelligence which created us and manages the totality of creation; and what part you play in the overall scheme of things?

I think it would be nice to uncover those mysteries, and it's something that I would definitely enjoy, but it's not like I expect my wish to be granted just because I used the name other humans tell us to use.
Is that what you expect?

Originally posted by Tallsorts

Please note that I have not mentioned Religion nor any kind of God, but aren’t you just a teeny bit curious as to what the full 10 layers of Human DNA are for, and not just the top 2; what happens to your Mommy after she’s dead, or whether there are any other inhabited planets in our Universe?

I really don't understand why any of that would have anything to do with what name you use to describe the person who's 'rules or moral guidelines you follow.

That goes right back to the definition of vain. Would any god really care so much about getting credit before we actually know who/what they are that they wouldn't let us in on their goodness even if we followed all of their rules/guidelines?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

If only things were as straightforward as that, for there are what we may choose to call Natural Laws, which are in operation whether we choose to believe it or not. These laws are mechanical in action, and if we break them we will at some time have to pay for the transgressions, either in this life or a future one. These are the Kharmic Laws.

I don’t live my life by a set of rules given to me by anyone, but by my own rules which I have developed. Where I can, I try to live within the boundaries set by Natural Law, and the material laws governing the country in which I live. No doubt, like most people, I get it wrong sometimes; but that’s my problem.

I don’t go for the, ‘Simon says stick your hands in the air’ stuff, as that’s one of the easiest ways to find out very little about what goes on in Creation. I’ve developed my own spiritual path, through the use of an enquiring mind.

Is there a God or Creator, or a supreme energy which created and maintains our reality? I’m convinced there is, for it is too complex and well designed just to be down to a big bang, or to have happened by accident, or just evolution.

Does it matter, whether you call this energy God, or some other name; no I don’t think it does? Every language on and off planet will have some kind of word for it, and I have found a piece of this energy within me, which has taken me a very long time to find. I think that everyone’s got a piece inside them too, but whether they will ever look for it I cannot say.

There are many books which claim to contain the word of God, but they contain much that is written by man and some of the supreme energy’s word. I found it best to follow my own path and learn by experience and from making mistakes, for that is why humans have been given free-will.

Having said that, it is far easier to believe the paradigm of any particular religion you care to mention, as it’s a ready made set of rules which may or may not be correct. Whereas, if you find it all out for yourself the hard way, test it against that piece of creative force within you to see if it is true, you end up with your own philosophy, and are truly free from the clutches of human made cant and dogma.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Langue is insufficient a method of communication for it to be possible for any human being to utter the true name of God..

It is not the fault of people to be able to understand what God is, any one can understand but no one can say in one word what God literally is, it is not possible do to the quantum dimensional limitation of human nature..

--------------

WIG'N #17 ( What Is God Network )

Todays show: Questions to ponder....

/aksyav

----------------------

new topics

top topics

join