It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is going on with Google Canada?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Yep, happened to me too earlier, a couple of hours ago... location = uk

Everything i searched on warned me this site may harm my computer, but when i clicked on the site anyway, it redirected me to a page saying i could go ahead with a risk, but it never gave me an option to go ahead, therefore i couldnt get on the site at all....

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Explanation. news.bbc.co.uk...

Seems that it was human error

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Portugal here, had the same problem a couple of hours ago, have not yet checked back into google. Seems like a global glitch, somebody may have replaced a 0 with a 1 somewhere

Other search engines were working, there is life beyond google folks. What is needed is some sort of distributed architecture search engine without central servers that mimics the structure of the internet itself.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
google South Africa was affected too but seems ok now.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
How about this, a video showing another strange glitch on google has been posted on YouTube where the oo's in google home page disappeared when a search was done.

And here is a vid showing the original glitch warning.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I have not gotten any of that stuff.When I went to google and put in abovetopsecret it is normal...I am seeing no glitches and I am here in the US. Strange . However I don't use google for much. I tend to use altavista most of the time.

[edit on 1/31/2009 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I use google a lot.

I do use other search engines as well.....dogpile being my fav.

It is simply stunning the extent that the internet has brought the community of the world together.

The next step will be an elevation in awareness of each other as we see how many things we have in common......Google being one of them.

I always smile when I think of the Google idea of first do no evil. I hope they hold to this motto.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hmmm... One poster thought it was strange that two identical searches would return different results. This is because Google seeks to be an intuitive search engine which means the search will occasionally refine to serve better results.

Unfortunately, i've forgotten the other thing I was going to say. I'm glad Google is back up and running because I would be out of a job if the internet had died today. Sigh of relief over here!

OH I remember. Someone else mentioned that they use a different search engine called Dogpile. Just so you know, that's a meta search engine and does include results from Google. Dogpile doesn't actually serve its own results since it takes the top ten from numerous search engines. So you might be using Dogpile but you're still using Google. Sorry!

Edit: Someone else mentioned that it's amazing how well the internet works considering all the computers involved, etc.

The internet is actually about as close to a living organism as you can get without actually being one. It feeds on electricity, ultimately, it reproduces, and it doesn't break down if some computers are missing. All of the data you send out into the internet breaks up en route to its destination, and reunites at the final destination so that the information cannot be destroyed or lost. If you send an email, a portion of it may go from your home in Florida, to Uruguay, and to the final destination in cleveland. If Uruguay is out of power, however, your email does not die. That packet of info just goes through a different node.

You can't stop the internet, it's the ghost in the machine!

[edit on 1/31/2009 by The Cyfre]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Normal here in Dallas tx USA

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   

OH I remember. Someone else mentioned that they use a different search engine called Dogpile. Just so you know, that's a meta search engine and does include results from Google. Dogpile doesn't actually serve its own results since it takes the top ten from numerous search engines. So you might be using Dogpile but you're still using Google. Sorry!

reply to post by The Cyfre

That was me. I mention dogpile in leu of the idea that it uses google as I wanted to see if it would still work, which it did, without the google engine working.

It seems you probably understand the internet more then I do so it was good to read your comments on how it works on a superficial level yet it would be interesting to discover exactly what to do if say the goverment shuts down the net with a simple trick such as we have seen demonstrated within the paramaters of google. What would we do to communicate on the web?

Do you not find it interesting that President Bush wanted to open up the freq. used via standard tv in order to build local networks used via the public and now that is being delayed by President Obama. Was this going to be a stoploss just in case the net went down?

Google Glitch Labels Internet as Malware

An alarming glitch that plagued Google's search engine Saturday morning was blamed on human error, Google said in a blog post.

From about 6:30 AM PST until 7:25 AM PST, most searches for any site in Google's database returned the message "This site may harm your computer." If a user attempted to click through to the result, a subsequent page referred users to StopBadware.org, causing that site to crash from the millions of visitors trying to access the site.

The errors began appearing between 6:27 AM and 6:40 AM and began disappearing by 7:10 AM and 7:25 AM, so the duration of the problem for any particular user was approximately 40 minutes, Marissa Mayer, Google's vice president of search, wrote in a blog post.

"What happened? Very simply, human error," Mayer wrote. Google works with StopBadware.org, compiling a list of sites that could harm a user's computer. Unfortunately, a Google employee apparently added a "/" URL, which resolved to every URL in Google's database.

Google originally claimed that StopBadware.org compiled the list of sites, essentially blaming the organization for the glitch, which was later corrected.

"The mistake in Google's initial statement, indicating that we supply them with badware data, is a common misperception," StopBadware.org wrote in its own blog post by Maxim Weinstein, the leader of the team. "We appreciate their follow up efforts in clarifying the relationship on their blog and with the media. Despite today's glitch, we continue to support Google's effort to proactively warn users of badware sites, and our experience is that they are committed to doing so as accurately and as fairly as possible."

Google apologized for the error, and promised to put in place processes to prevent it from happening again.

"Thanks to our team for their quick work in finding this. And again, our apologies to any of you who were inconvenienced this morning, and to site owners whose pages were incorrectly labelled," Mayer wrote. "We will carefully investigate this incident and put more robust file checks in place to prevent it from happening again."

www.pcmag.com...

I posted at 8:54am. Sask Time. we do not fall back or spring forward...which would be 6:54 Vancouver time (or California time ) which would fall in line when the glitch appeared according to the article as I was researching, called my internet provider, called a friend before I posted on ATS.

posted on 31-1-2009 @ 08:54 single this post "quote"REPLY TO:

DIGG ATS

for original
content
more infoWhat is going on with Google Canada?

[edit on 1-2-2009 by whiteraven]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

February 2nd, 2009
Google’s flub: Do we have a Web monoculture too?

Google had a rough weekend and a human error caused the search giant to list the entire Web as malware for an hour or so. The screw-up is likely to raise questions about the risks of having a monoculture dependent on any one technology supplier.

On Saturday, Google tagged the Web as malware and was rendered useless. After various reports, Google blamed the incident on human error.

Was the ruckus over Google’s outage overblown? Possibly. But to many folks Google is the Window to the Internet. If folks can’t Google people are simply lost. That fact alone probably qualifies Google as a Web monoculture although it may be a touch premature to make a definitive call. However, Google touches everything and frankly that’s a bit worrisome.

In security circles, monoculture is a key concept. Roughly speaking, whenever a technology–Windows for instance–is dominant it becomes a big target to attack. You attack the target and wreak a lot of havoc. Windows is a monoculture. If Windows is wrecked the damage is far and wide just because of market share.

Ryan Naraine in his Google coverage on Saturday foreshadowed the monoculture question. He said the Google incident “provides a harsh lesson on our total dependence on a single vendor/search provider.” Is Google a monoculture? If Google isn’t a Web monoculture today it soon will be. Google is becoming a search monopoly and it can extend that dominance into other areas. Just look at the reaction to its malware screwup. There was one hour when we couldn’t use Google–and everyone noticed quickly. If Ask.com–or Live Search for that matter–had a similar malware tagging glitch the hubbub wouldn’t have happened.

What’s worrisome is that monocultures exist everywhere. The goal for every IT vendor is to become your monoculture. Windows is a monoculture. In enterprise software there’s SAP and Oracle–that’s a duopoly but depending on the company one of those two runs suppliers runs the business. Cisco is a networking monoculture. Pick an industry or technology and there’s some form of lock-in.

And the pressure for enterprises to become a monoculture is immense. How many times have you heard some CIO yapping about standardizing on one technology because it’s allegedly more cost effective? When it comes to vendors they want one throat to choke. The downside: What you save in costs and complexity you lose in immunity.

blogs.zdnet.com...

It seems this is getting some ink today.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
It's back. This time in a big way. I'm a legitimate member of a forum on a legitimate website and I cannot even sign into the forum using my supposedly secret password. When I enter my user name and then my password the message Reported Attack Page flashes on my screen and if I click on ignore this warning I am back to square one. I am using Firefox 3.6.8 and getting my service through Telus. I have active antivirus, antispyware, antifraud and a firewall and I am not blocking the site I am trying to access. I tried to report this to Firefox and StopBadware interfered. I think Firefox uses Google and they are bothy involved with this StopBadware.org. I read recently that Google is try ing to buy Yahoo so is this the start of the takeover of the Internet? I don't see how I can be blocked from signing into a forum that I should be able to access. I don't need to be "" protected "" by these jerks. I am 60 and am quite able to look after myself. Apparently the site I am trying to access has had problems like this since 1999. Internet Explorer was previously doing the same thing. I am going to try it now and see what happens. Can anyone recommend a better way as I don't trust Internet Explorer, Google, Yahoo or now Firefox.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join