It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Journey Ahead, bugging out 2009.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Around 10 days ago I got sick I had fever, chills, shakes, headache, my ears are clogged and I have chest congestion, and frankly I have felt like the walking dead. The doctor told me I have the flu and strep throat and ear infections, so I have been taking 3 prescriptions and one of the pills I swear is the size of a grape. I work at a luxury hotel, or I used to work at a luxury hotel plus I have 3 kids going to 3 different schools so every bug that comes around I usually get, but not this bad. I have been really sick this time.

Stress and anxiety:

For months I have been under a ton of stress with my job, they changed my shifts I work, there was the constant threat of layoff and massive hours being cut yet having the workload tripled, basically I am losing my job right now, but it’s irrelevant because that job no longer was able to support me. The anxiety has been terrible; I can barely sit for over a half an hour at a time I feel like I do when they issue tornado warnings for where I live. On top of the illness and stupid job, the public transportation system here is going to undergo massive cuts in March, and it just made my commute to and from work much more expensive. My conventional life here is/has fallin apart, but I feel it was by design, many different things affecting a change in my life, btw one of my co workers just quit to become a full time artist, and I’m have done the same thing to be a writer/traveler.

The crossroads:

I’m in a position where I could do 2 things. Option 1 is to pay up as many bills as I can, and hope I will be making more money in a few months. This isn’t going to happen, the hotel is undergoing a remodel and won’t be completed for at least 5 months, plus the 18 month forecast is terrible. I would get a second job but No one has answered the resumes I have already sent plus the hotel won’t work around both schedules. FAIL!

I’m buying camping equipment, a laptop and getting mobile internet, I’m planning to hike my way to Alaska via the southwest. I’m not sure I will end up in Alaska, not sure about anything anymore, but the people I meet and the adventures I have and the things I see will be shared with all via the net both here on ATS and a myspace blog.

I’m going to attempt to sell everything I own in the next month, and purchase what I will need, and I need to make a route I would like to take.

Everyday I will write about what I experienced, who I met, and whats up in that part of the USA and will post it to the net 7 days later.

The Calling:

I do wonder if others are hearing or feeling the calling? To flee? Or to do what u really want to do and to hell with money. All of my life I have had the urge to move towards the northwest, to prepare for something, or to run from something? And each day that passes this feeling or urge grows till I can’t sit still anymore. I compare it to a calling from God to preach, or a constant whisper in my ear.

I’m terrified and excited at the same time. I plan on leaving March 1 so I have a lot to do.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Nice, hope you have a great time -i'm sure you'll learn much along the way and discover many great things.

One thing i noticed from your op is you are a clever person, your text is well written and has structure plus you seem to have a good understanding of the world around you - This says to me that your brain is well developed and you're well connected to your subliminal thought processes, why am i mentioning this?

They say animals always know when a storm is coming, modern science suggests that this is almost true -while we humans can also sense the change in pressure which comes before a storm we ignore it or don't act on it, the suggestion being that most humans distrust or ignore their subconscious though processes.

You aren't the first smart person i've seen that's planning to go on a little journey recently or take a few years off, in fact at the moment everyone i speak too who's opinion on the world i respect seems to be getting hot feet. Could this be more than just a coincidence?

Maybe everyone can see what's coming? I know it's kinda obvious now, economic doom is all over the news and 'this is the worst X since Y' is the new headline fad - What if though people are seeing the REAL DOOOOOOOM!!! which is coming?

It seems like everyone that knows how the world works is doing their best to slip into the woodwork and vanish before it gets too hectic, maybe it's become clear that this really is a big problem coming our way. It's not just those that believe in phsical things, check out the religion forums everyone is SURE the world is ending, hehe not just on ATS either. What do you think, are you worried something major is coming?

anyway, good luck, have fun and stay safe

oh and as for me, i've been getting my BOB ready for a little camping trip -was planning to leave during the start of feb and walk up the coast for a bit hehe then i noticed i was leaving just before 'the rome of asia' as reinhardt predicts
coincidence?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time right now, but I envy you the great adventure that lies ahead. Please keep your wits about you on the trail and be safe. Don't forget to take a digital camera along. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! Best Wishes and a safe journey.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
If your heading for the northwest, north Idaho is a nice place to be. The winters are not as harsh as Alaska's, but it's still easy to hide in the mountains we have.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
What is it with people trying to get to Alaska lately? Seems everywhere I turn or everyone I talk with they are all thinking of Alaska.

I can imagine there are alot of people going through similar situations as you described in the OP. Lots of jobs falling apart, prices rising as businesses attempt to survive, everyone looking out for number one and trying to survive this mess we all created. How many will actually go through with it is another matter.

By and large, people in general, and the majority of Americans like to talk the talk and then continue to suffer in their lives, taking the scraps that the more fortunate have.

Should you go through with this, good for you and have a great time. I cheated and hopped on a plane to escape the world you describe. To have walked it would have been something.

Nothing in life worthwhile is ever easy, this certainly will be difficult. The nerve to break the chains of society, the trek itself and then to recreate a life that you want to live are all daunting challenges.

Should you make it to AK, U2U me. Ill buy you a beer. God knows, you would have earned it.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Good luck DragonLibra.

I only worry that you're kids may suffer. Hiking on an epic mission like that may be too much for them if you intent to take them with you...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Awesome! I have been feeling the exact same way lately and I have been trying to sell off everything that I don't need to make a living in the mean time. I am in MO also...my backpack is already packed, I have almost all the gear I could ever ask for, everything is ready except me I guess. I tried to get my bro to quit his job and drop out with me but he is not ready yet. I'm not sure if I'm ready. But a test run wouldn't hurt any I don't think. Maybe bug out for a month or so, see how the gear we packed works for us/work out bugs. I wouldn't mind heading north in the summer time, is sure is nice up there but I don't think I could survive a winter. I'm thinking south, waaaay south. I would love to go out for a number of months by choice before shtf, maybe even meet some indiginous people and learn something about the world we live in....and the one we can't see. If you are ok with it u2u me with your approx location....maybe we can hook up sometime and bounce ideas off each other/talk gear/ maybe even go on a short test trip if you're close to me and down for it.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies, I'm well on my way to making this happen. Today I have purchased a backpack a sl eeping bag a tent and waterbottles I have also purchases tent repair kits extra spikes candles and candle lanterns.

I'm now looking for a laptop and a powersupply what do u all think of this one :
solar power supply

BTW my kids live with there mother.

I have 23 days to sell all I own, and to acquire whatever i may need.

new topics

top topics

join