It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You an Only Child?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Hey guys, I've actually been thinking recently, how many of you here are only children. I've been guessing that a vast majority of the users here could be only children. I could be wrong about ths, but as an only child, you usually have a curiousity for certain subjects, usually from what I have gathered, and only child is generally introverted naturally, and is usually interested in esteric subjects.

Of course, you could say this applies to the whole popoulation, but as an only child, introversion feels as if it has actually happened a lot more naturally, because having been brought up as a child with only yourself to entertain in your spare time, you become a lot less dependant on havng to be around others to entertain yourself. Half of the time you'd probably be seeking the attention of adults for interesting conversation to advance your own knowledge, and to of course, stimulate or entertain you.

This is just a personal interest of mine that's just brought itself up recently. How many of you here are only children?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angry Potato
Hey guys, I've actually been thinking recently, how many of you here are only children. I've been guessing that a vast majority of the users here could be only children. I could be wrong about ths, but as an only child, you usually have a curiousity for certain subjects, usually from what I have gathered, and only child is generally introverted naturally, and is usually interested in esteric subjects.

Of course, you could say this applies to the whole popoulation, but as an only child, introversion feels as if it has actually happened a lot more naturally, because having been brought up as a child with only yourself to entertain in your spare time, you become a lot less dependant on havng to be around others to entertain yourself. Half of the time you'd probably be seeking the attention of adults for interesting conversation to advance your own knowledge, and to of course, stimulate or entertain you.

This is just a personal interest of mine that's just brought itself up recently. How many of you here are only children?

You've posed a very interesting question about only children and introversion which I think you will certainly find some correlation in. I for one am an only child. I've always had an inclination for the esoteric since I can remember. I'm alone in very many other aspects in my life as well. I'm an only child who is an INTP (1% of the population) and my blood type is AB- (~1% of the world population). Seems introversion was always going to be my lot lol.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I am an only child. I'm an introvert, and somewhat of a hermit. Self-sufficiency is an attribute I greatly admire. This tends to steer me in the direction of finding my own answers and forming my own opinions. The consensus of the group is not as important to me as it may be to some others from situations where group power dynamics come in to play regularly. I'm very non-conformist in outlook and practice. I do not run with the crowd, but occasionally I'll let the crowd run with me...

I would say that my experience supports your generalization.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Interesting turn out so far. Well, even if it is only two people. I have a feeling that we will be seeing a greater turnout of only children in this thread soon. I remember at one stage or something I asked this question in another forum, which dealt with the paranormal and aliens and stuff. I wasn't really surprised to see that the majority of the users were only children.

I'm guessing that the trend would be the same here, with a low percentage of the introverts or only children here for the politics, and are here more to read about the paranormal and unexplained phenomena, as it reading about these subjects would stimulate the imagination a lot more than political debates would. That, and I'm guessing that some of the only children or introverts don't really care to much about politics that much or like authority figures, but still like to have a sense of morals. Again, though, this could apply to anyone, not just an only child.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I am indeed an only child, and so was my father. I'm fairly introverted - I'm quite happy on my own, though I live in a big city and am married. My wife thinks I'm odd because she comes from a family of 5 children, and when they were young, they shared a house with their 5 cousins (worse than the brady bunch) -- that's 4 parents, 2 grandparents, and 10 kids. Big big difference, but we get along nonetheless.

It is a challenge at times to really fit in over here, to say what I'm thinking, to be social, etc. I still require my alone time, and my wife thinks I'm just being selfish. After she goes to bed, I'll stay up and read, write something, edit something, listen to music, watch a movie, or just think. It's just the way I am. I don't think I can ever change that.

Anyway, even though I am an only child, I moved from KY to Australia at the age of 23...so maybe that does make me selfish. But then again I left everything and everyone I grew up with to be with my wife, so maybe I'm not so selfish.

[edit on 31/1/09 by Evasius]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I am an only child - am an extraverted introvert.

Love people...but really need the private retreat time you get used to as an only child

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I'm an only child, but I grew up in a large household with extended family, cousins who are like brothers and sisters to me. Still I had lots of time to be by myself and i consider myself an introvert.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Hi, interesting topic!

I`m an only child, and I`m introvert.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I like a lot of alone time, and dread leaving the house. I was an only child until I was 9. I wonder if those early years of being an only child correlates to your finds so far. Wonder if there is a cut off in the early childhood development where it works out to seem like an only child introvert type?

My son and my husband are only children and I see that with my son being an only child (compared to his friends that have siblings) he's quite independent, always has been and does keep himself pretty occupied with things to do.

A_L

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Another only child here, and I feel the same way as you said OP.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Only child here too

Like Annefran Im an extroverted introvert. I happen to work in PR, so am forced to be with people and meet people all the time - but I dearly cherish my own time alone. I like to do things by myself. to spend whole days without speaking to anyone, to go to the movies alone for example...bliss!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I am only child too. Of course introverted, interested in philosophy, metaphysics and esoteric
By the way, I always wanted to have a brother or sister. At least for me it was too hard to bear all problems of my parents. Now hug

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Interesting! It does seem to make sense, too, especially regarding introversion.

Me, I was the oldest of four, but there was enough difference between my age and theirs that I was raised as an only child for a few years, in fact.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Angry Potato

Hey there AP,

I'm an only child ... love people but love my alone time even more ... don't go out to pubs/clubs (don't drink) ... haven't been in a relationship for over 6yrs (by choice) ... very philosophical / esoterically inclined etc

yep ! I think I fit the requirements.

Woody

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Only child here, too. Both of my parents were, as well. I am very introverted and back in school, many thought I was 'stuck up', when in actuality I was just very shy and introverted. My work life forces me to interact with people which is probably good for me, but give me a day at the movies or the beach alone and I am in heaven!

Interestingly, I had two children ... and even as they were growing up I struggled with finding my alone time.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Yeah, I discovered that it's a common misconception that introverts give of a somewhat arrogant or stuck up attitude. Everytime I've been in social environments, I'd remember my interactions and think "Oh man, did I come off as condescending or snobbish? That truely wasn't my intention" but now I've found out that it's just shyness, really. It's not that we think we're better than people, but just interact with people a little differently. Sometimes it usualy comes cross as a little less laid back than typical interaction is.

A lot of the time, we're really coy on our own personal identity, and that makes us come across as a bit enigmatic. Although it comes across to a lot of people as "Oh, this guy is an extreme antisocial guy that I hardly even know about", it's just we'd rather kind of have two personalities in public places, and we always seem to keep our true selves shielded away from everyone else. That's just my take on it, everyone elses take would surely differ, but don't ever feel like you're being arrogant. You do care about some of the people you interact with, but try to convey sincerity in different ways, and by using different words.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Yeah, me too.

For me it just means that I was able, at an early age, to distinguish between loneliness and solitude.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
i am number 4 of 8.

2 still born (bro and sis, one between me and lil bro and one between lil bro and youngest sis) 3 are older. i am the oldest son.

My curiosity has always been up there. i was picking apart computers when i was 6 years old. got into technology young. was always an info junkie.

i could be a special case, but lets see where this goes.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I'm an 'only' who learned through trial and error that I am an intensely private extrovert -- which was a bit of a conundrum for a while as I was successfully engaged in a career that did not allow for much privacy.

Changed that and I now, while greatly enjoying the company of other people, can happily spend days alone in one room w/o talking to another person. How sweet it is...

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Only child here, too. Also an introvert. I prefer my company to that of most others and I am nowhere near lonely. I've just come to realize that I am not particularly fond of human beings in large groups. Hearing them breathe gets on my nerves and really, really bothers me (I know, I am weird).

And, when the OP mentioned "arrogant" and "stuck up"....I've been accused of that, too. But, it isn't that at all. I am shy. Very shy.....especially around people I don't know. And, they take it as being stuck up. It is an unfair assumption to make.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join