It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigerians can sue US drugs firm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Nigerians can sue US drugs firm

news.bbc.co.uk

Nigerian families can sue the Pfizer drugs giant in the US over its alleged role in the deaths of children, a US appeals court has ruled.

The decision overturns ruling by a lower court that the case must be heard in Nigeria.

Pfizer is accused of killing 11 children and injuring 181 others when an antibiotic was tested on them during a meningitis epidemic in 1996.

Pfizer denies the claims, saying they were victims of the outbreak.

The epidemic killed 12,000 children in Nigerian in six months.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I am pleased to hear this and can only say that it is about time that pharma companies be held responsible for the live tests they carry out, mostly on unknowing subjects, in this case, Nigerians.

There has been a major fuss over these companies over the last couple of years and this news brings a smile to my face as this may be the start of something good to show that these comapnies do not own us and do not have the right to test drugs for profit.

some may argue that you can't have progress if tests are not carried out, but then some may say that these new drugs are only needed because of the tests the companies have carried out to solve older problems...a never ending circle... caused by those who deem it necesary 'to save lives'.

well, the worm is turning..

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
About damn time. Up yours, corporate fascists!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
i am sorry , but while i have every sympathy for the parents of the dead children

this is simply poo flinging ` some one MUST be to blame ` garbage

the 1996 outbreak was a public health nighmare - 12 THOURSAND dead

many recieved little or no treatment - and even when treated with antibiotics recovery is not garunteed

just my humbe opinion - but thats why i believe that this case is without merit

torvan is not an untested , unlicenced ` killer drug ` - yes it has side effects - but it can also be one of the few treatments that affect some virilent infections

menengitis has a high fatality rate - and even if you recover it can have lasting effects

argueing that torvan killed the children is just silly - as menengitis killed > 11800 others that did not get torvan

like i say - just attempting to pin blame on someone - and as is the case with lawsuits they are going for the people with deep pockets

the nigerian health care system has a lot to answer for in this incident - but are they being sued over the 12k death toll - no

why - because it will be almost impossible to get a cent out of them

but hey - deep pockets are fair game , right ?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
i am sorry , but while i have every sympathy for the parents of the dead children

this is simply poo flinging ` some one MUST be to blame ` garbage

Well their children are dead, and now they haven't got anything better to do so they took up poo flinging instead.

It's not your fault your right, your just an ignorant ape.

[edit on 31-1-2009 by nuisance value]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Not the first time big Pharma knowingly harms people.

Here's a little-known truth about Bayer that needs to be revisited. In 2006, it was discovered that Bayer found out a vaccine it was selling in the United States was accidentally contaminated with HIV.

In order to cover its tracks, say the journalists in this video (below), Bayer pulled the vaccines off the market and sold them to consumers in Japan, France, Spain and other countries, where hemophiliacs were then contaminated with HIV due to the vaccine.

www.naturalnews.com...

[edit on 31-1-2009 by Zapataman]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
So, if Nigerians can sue the USA.
Then the USA can sue Nigeria?
For all the money they have stole from the USA?
Through all the scams they have done?
That go straight back to a country, they cant prosecute?
Id like to see how this runs out.
America set to receive more than the Nigerians I would imagine.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Oh boy, this thread's good, Extralien. I am with you here.
And I feel terrible for all those children dead.
It was a noble last-minute attempt to save them, but too little, too late, wrong compounds.

Plus, as monsters, they have flesh-eating lawyers.

Pfizer will just become a larger monster.

What do I know? It's not nuisance value's fault ape's right.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FRIGHTENER
Oh boy, this thread's good, Extralien. I am with you here.
And I feel terrible for all those children dead.
It was a noble last-minute attempt to save them, but too little, too late, wrong compounds.

Plus, as monsters, they have flesh-eating lawyers.

Pfizer will just become a larger monster.

What do I know? It's not nuisance value's fault ape's right.

No it's not my fault at all, but it's just the ape mentality.

And anyway let's leave him alone he's gone back up a tree to sleep.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Oh dear. Our Yankee friends are in trouble. Nigerians are very clever people. You thought the US were the best suers, Wait until Nigerian ninja suers land on your shore.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The sad thing is that even if they do sue, it may never be enough to bring the company onto its knees and force it to quit working...this is one thing that most big companies recover from and is not a really valid way of getting a form of justice...

I kinda hope that Nigeria nails them to the wall for this...big time.

top topics

join