It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worst Ice Storm In 20 Years; Where's FEMA?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Obama hasn't even flown to the area. It is a red state full of white people so he must be a racist right? I think we must apply the same standard the media held Bush to during Katrina.

He could at least do a fly over.

I suspect hundereds of white people could die and the media wouldn't care. What a joke Katria was. If it was such a big deal they would hold the "Chosen One" to the same standard.

Or could it be that the people of Kentucky won't rob and kill their own just to sruvive? Is it because the media can't show mass looting and killing that they ignore it?

Either way I say Obama must be brought up on charges of Huan Rights violations for not helping my people.... The new Racist in Chief....

[edit on 1-2-2009 by northof8]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
We were without power for 5 days. Tuesday morning it went out. Came back a few times for short periods and then went out for good Tuesday at 5:10 pm or so. Didn't come back on until Sunday morning at 10:30.

We spent the first night in the cold. Started to go to a warming center the next night but got invited to out daughter's since they had just bought a generator.

Our county rd was iced over that we couldn't get out without help. Bought a kerosine heater so that we could come back home and have some heat after spending a couple of nights at our daughter's.

Looked like a torando blew threw with all the limbs and branches in our yard. With the exception of a leak at the well, which I'll fix tomorrow, everything is fine now.

Hope to never go thru this again. We will prepare better next time. As for it being on the news, it was all over the news. We were able to watch tv at our daughter's. I certainly don't think that Obama should be brought into this conversation. People had advanced warning and should have better prepared. Including us.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
I certainly don't think that Obama should be brought into this conversation. People had advanced warning and should have better prepared. Including us.

Kind of like Katrina huh? People had advanced warning and should have better prepared for Katrina as well. Why did Bush come up in that conversation if its the same exact thing as the people of Kentucky?

I agree its silly to blame Obama for this but we must apply the same standard to our leaders....

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

I worked Tuesday night when the storm came through. When I drove home on Wednesday morning, it was like I had entered the twilight zone. I was dodging trees on the street, and limbs hanging down.
The irony of this is that the wife and I have been working on emergency preparedness, and had been discussing buying a generator, as well as a few other items that would have made life easier while off the grid. We are just going to work faster.
Obama should have at least taken a look.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

No emergency personnel arrived, FEMA workers, or inspection tour ever took place in southern Marion county Arkansas. We are a Scenic area! My 45 acres was completely destroyed and looks like a war zone. Thirty of those acres had been cleaned over a full-time 6 year period - no limbs, stumps or dead trees to be found anywhere. Now we have 800-1000 large trees down on the ground from the ice that destroyed our campground. No one came to tell us to boil our water, or help us get out the driveway. It will take 3 lifetimes for us to clean up this debris. This was our retirement. Where is the individual assistance?

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Aparently there are people in shelters in Oklahoma
www.koco.com...

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Shelters, especially those in southwest Oklahoma, have been packed as people without power have been looking for a place to stay. The Red Cross said it's working hour-by-hour to try to meet the demand of everyone seeking refuge. "Last night in Duncan, we saw 350 residents in the Stevens County Fairgrounds shelter," said Kyla Campbell of the Red Cross. Sam Porter of the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief has pledge to help provide warmth and meals. "We'll be there until there is no longer a need for that," Porter said. Campbell said the relief groups are running into one problem in particular. "It's been very difficult to get the word out, especially in Duncan, to the community where the shelters are located. If you know anyone in those areas, if you are able to get in contact, spread the word," she said. While crews work to restore power, there's a statewide effort under way to keep towns up and running as much as possible. "We are working to get resources out to support not only those in shelters, but to keep water treatment plants running," said Michelann Ooten of the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management. She said the state was trying to supply generators to those plants.

We need some other system than the main media to get news in a systematic way. I look for news on twitter and ATS but we need something more systematic. The main stream news media cannot be trusted for any important news.

Nobody kept tract of the people who were in fema shelters after Katrina. How do we know they were not victims of the govt that has the Jonestown concentration camp in its history.

[edit on 31-1-2010 by m khan]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It seems from recent events that "Home-grown" disasters such as this are simply NOT receiving either media or government attention as say those outside of the US?
I wonder why it is that "they" continue to refuse to take care of their own but continue to posture and RUSH to aid other in need outside the country?

Let me guess: we have little they "want or need" from us anymore? If it's not something 'they" can profit from or tax us for,well....it appears we're on our own in these instances.No shocker here...

I do NOT think this country is ready in any way,shape,or form to handle internal "disasters" of any kind,our resources are elsewhere.Someone very close to me (please dont ask for details,I can't...) works for "them" in a very high capacity and has assured me that only NOW are even the basic programs to allow for a uniformity of county,city,and state communication and organization/mobilization in direct response to a "disaster" starting to be created.

The H1N1 situation was not totally in vain although I do think it "failed" as it was intended because it got the ball rolling/funding started that allows such interventions.It's like a pyramid "chain of command" that must be folowed to decide "who" supplies aid and FEMA is only one part of it all.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Give me a break. You are sitting nice and cozy and posting on the internet. How bad could things really be? If everyone with generators invited in those who didn't, there would be little need for FEMA to come to the rescue, except to financially aid the state and county clean-ups.

get off the internet, grab a chainsaw or axe and start helping your neighbors clear the trees. Once you are done invite them in to share the heat created by your generator until the power is restored. Thinking lumberjacks armed with chainsaws are going to start falling from the sky is naive at best.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Dear kettlebellysmith, Please see my current thread called WHY AREN"T WE DOING THIS NOW. This is exactly my point. If there was an undergraound emergency shelter in your state big enough as a small ciy like the ones the government has, then you all would be warm , safe, fed, and have a warm place to sleep. You would have medical care etc. An ice storm cannot compare to the big earthquake that is expected in california. Where will those injured people go? The hospitals will be destroyed. Where will people sleep? an arena somewhere??? No more needs to be done now and underground and huge as to accomidate 100,000 people. Food, shelter, medical supplys need to be safe underground, somewhere.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join