It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another Obama Cabinet pick, Tom Daschle, in hot water for not paying his Taxes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Tom Daschle (D), Obama's pick for Secretary of Health and Human Services, is in hot water for not paying taxes.

What happened to all those promises of change? He made it sound like he was going to clean house and get this country off to a "fresh start". I think America got duped.

The same politicians, different day!

Committee to review Daschle taxes over loaned car

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The Senate Finance committee will meet Monday to review the tax records of former Sen. Tom Daschle, President Obama’s nominee for secretary of Health and Human Services who, according to sources, didn’t pay taxes on a car and driver he had been loaned. A Democratic source familiar with the situation told CNN Daschle was loaned a car and driver by a wealthy friend and failed to disclose it on his income taxes, as he should have. Daschle has since paid what he owed, the source said. White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said that Daschle had brought the issues to the committee’s attention himself and that President Barack Obama is “confident” he will be confirmed.

We're not talking about a 2 day rent-a-car. Closer to $100,000.00 in back taxes!

Daschle Pays $100k in Back Taxes Over Car Travel

Former senator Thomas A. Daschle, nominated to be secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, paid more than $100,000 in back taxes and interest this month for the use of a car and driver over the past three years, the White House said tonight. Daschle spokeswoman Jenny Backus said that Daschle "naively" believed the car service was a "generous offer from a friend," and he discovered only last summer that it is considered reportable income.

What's the deal with the people that are supposed to be running our country?

There's no way you could get me to believe that failing to pay nearly $100,000.00 in taxes is a "naive" oversight. As a business owner, and a taxpayer, it's my responsibility to make sure my taxes get paid. It's really not that hard.

How is it these people that are supposed to be so morally superior, that they're allowed to be in control of our government, can't do something so simple?

[edit on 30-1-2009 by lernmore]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Daschle, must not have been honest on his application, lol

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
"How is it these people that are supposed to be so morally superior, that they're allowed to be in control of our government, can't do something so simple?"

Those who make the laws are above the laws they make? At least they must think they are. I thought all gifts to our congressional people were to be reported.

For us common folk, I believe anything over $10 grand is reportable...$100K?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
What was all of that Obama saying that no one was above the law?

Why be above the law when you can ignore the law? Once you get caught just shout simple mistake, apply for a government job, and boom.. you are now above the law.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The next question for me....How long is this sheit going to continue?

This is obvious "Im in your face, sucka, and there ain't a damn thing you...or anybody can do about it!"

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Some of us have been pointing this kind of thing out for months now.

What? No defenders of obama and daschle on here yet.

Could it be that they are starting to realize the error of their vote?

Or can it be that they've just folded their tents and are giving up the debate?

The voters of South Dakota kicked daschle out for a reason some years ago. But then obama chose to 'resurrect' him (something only a 'messiah' can do) as part of obama's 'change' promise
. But picking corrupt and crooked politicians to run the government is not change.

As we've been saying ...

[edit on 1/31/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
is anyone surprised!?!?!? im not. Obama is just another crook polititian pandering to his powerbase. we would be arrested if we acted like these people. as the economy collapses Obama appoints more people that caused it. come on people, look at how corrupt this country has become

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I find it funny Obama is filling his cabinet with tax dodgers. If cheating on your income taxes is A-OK with the President for his cabinet members, then it should be A-OK for all Americans, right? And who is expected to pay their taxes in order to empower Obama to do what he wants to do if not his own cabinet members? I think all people in jail now for tax evasion should be granted clemency under the actions of members of the Executive branch.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Funny how he's known about it for months, yet fails to even mention it to the new transition team until weeks after he was named for the post. He's a liar and a crook.

For someone who's job it was to help write tax laws, regardless of whether or not they made into law, he sure plays dumb. Maybe he should have been naively jailed, you know, as an oversight.

Daschle Knew of Tax Issues Over Car Use Last June

WASHINGTON — President Obama’s choice for health secretary, Tom Daschle, was aware as early as last June that he might have to pay back taxes for the use of a car and driver provided by a private equity firm, but did not inform the Obama transition team until weeks after Mr. Obama named him to the health secretary’s post, senior administration officials said Saturday

As Senate Democrats rushed to save the nomination of Mr. Daschle, their former leader, the White House spent the day trying to explain how he survived its vetting process despite his failure to pay $128,000 in taxes.

The White House would not say when the president himself learned of the tax issue, but said Mr. Obama is standing by his nominee.

“The president believes that nobody is perfect, but that nobody is trying to hide anything,”

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
What? No defenders of obama and daschle on here yet.
Could it be that they are starting to realize the error of their vote?

I doubt it. That was very strong koolaide that got served at those rallies. They won't be waking up anytime soon. I feel kinda bad for those that voted for him. When realization of what has happened hits, it's going to be extremely painful for them.

Originally posted by lernmore
Funny how he's known about it for months, yet fails to even mention it to the new transition team until weeks after he was named for the post.

He's known for months but did he REALLY not mention it to the transition team or is that something they are claiming in order to protect 'The One? I'm sure Obama's people were all over this guy. And if they weren't, then it's evidence that Obama doesn't know what's going on around him.

Either way -
to Obama.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Tom Daschle was a lobbyist for Health South. Maybe still is. I do not trust that guy one bit. I would say more of the same, but this is just so much more than before. Are we yet asleep again?.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I wasn't an Obama supporter

With that said

Whats the big deal about this?

The tax code is retarded anyway, it's far too complicated, too many things to deal with.... Tax on a rental limo what? The whole point of getting a Limo is to forget your worries for 30 minutes back and forth while transporting yourself...

and you need the damn one with the Bullet proof glass etc, etc Just to do your duty anyway and know you wont die...

No major Political Figure in the US should have to pay for the ability to present him or herself properly to the world or protect themselves or both...

Maybe there is a bit of a chance here that the people Obamas picking aren't.... You Know Ayers or anything

BUT, still are genuinely inside holding a finger up at the establishment

I see him Not paying his Taxes as.... a Good Sign

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Oh, yes. This cabinet is SO corrupt!

There is going to be some corruption in government. You all know that. The difference is, it's a LOT less in the Obama cabinet than previously. No one claimed perfection. But it's a HUGE CHANGE from the Bush years. You don't even want to start comparing the level of sickening, illegal and immoral corruption that happened during the last administration.

If you expect a 100% pristine government with Obama, you're going to be drastically disappointed. I (and other Obama supporters) had no such unrealistic expectations.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Whats the big deal about this?

I think I can sum it up in one word...

Integrity

Main Entry:
in·teg·ri·ty

Pronunciation:
\in-ˈte-grə-tē\

Function:
noun

Etymology:
Middle English integrite, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French integrité, from Latin integritat-, integritas, from integr-, integer entire

Date:
14th century

1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : incorruptibility
2 : an unimpaired condition : soundness
3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : completeness
synonyms see honesty

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The difference is, it's a LOT less in the Obama cabinet than previously.

Not by the looks of it. You can chant that all you want but the facts are starting to say the exact opposite. The only 'change' is that it's democrats instead of republicans with their hands in the cookie jar.

And we are just in the first few weeks. Gotta wonder what will come out in the next 4-8 years. At the end we'll have to do a balance - Bush v Obama administrations and see if there is any significant difference. Considering how this administration is starting out ... I highly doubt there will be.

No change.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

There is going to be some corruption in government. You all know that. The difference is, it's a LOT less in the Obama cabinet than previously.

Really? Says who, just you?

Many think this is just the tip of the iceberg. Just wait a while to see the rest develop.

I just remembered how a little while ago it was you and the rest of the obamaphiles telling us we needed to wait to see how obama turned out, to not be so hasty in our criticism.

Well,
now it's us telling you to wait - to see how badly this is going to turn out based on the first week(s) of "change".

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by lernmore
What happened to all those promises of change? He made it sound like he was going to clean house and get this country off to a "fresh start". I think America got duped.

Because a guy didn't pay his taxes? Grasping at anything you can get your hands on I can see.

Everyone went from complaining our President was the worst in US History, to him being a war criminal, etc, etc (Their is a huge list). To OMG he picked a guy who didn't pay his taxes on a limo, We got lucky compared to the alternative, don't take it for granted.

When you find something substantial worth talking about i'll be here.

[edit on 2/1/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

No kidding.   What split my sides this morning was watching all the democrats falling all over themselves saying what a decent, dedicated public servant old Tom is and that it was simply a "mistake".   I have no doubt that if I was getting jammed up by the IRS, Chuck Schumer would jump to my aid and back me up..... There is only one of two things that can happen here that would be in the interests of the country.  He withdraws or Obama withdraws him.For Obama to be pushing this massive spending spree with this kind of thing is going on -   I don't support this bail-out deal and hope it goes down in flames, but if Obama wants to retain any credibility at all he needs to dump Tom.   He's losing support of the American people daily (13% points of support lost in a week).   He needs to take the high ground and tell the dodger to pull out.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Apparently some didn't get the whole "change" memo...

Health care groups paid Daschle $220K

Tom Daschle, tapped to be President Obama's health czar, was paid more than $200,000 by the health-care industry in the past two years, according to documents obtained by Politico. The former Senate majority leader, who gave speeches to firms and groups with a vested-interest in the administration's upcoming health reform, collected the checks as part of a $5 million windfall after he lost reelection to his South Dakota seat. This weekend, Daschle's nomination to be secretary of Health and Human Services became embroiled in controversy over the last-minute revelation that he had only recently paid long-overdue taxes.

Daschle's Lobbyist Wife Might Complicate New Post

Daschle has some health care related connections of his own: He serves on the boards of Prime BioSolutions and the Mayo Clinic, among others, and his law firm lobbies for a number of industry clients, including CVS Caremark, the National Association for Home Care and Hospice, Abbott Laboratories and HealthSouth. Daschle does not lobby himself, but his law firm has a lobbying arm. Republican critics have already noted Daschle's lobbyist connections. "Since losing his Senate seat, Tom Daschle has worked for a major lobbying firm," said Republican National Committee spokesman Alex Conant. "For voters hoping to see new faces and fewer lobbyist-connections in government, Daschle's nomination will be another disappointment." Ethical questions surrounding Linda Daschle's lobbying efforts are not new.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join