It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biofuel powers Boeing through skies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

www.news.com.au

JAPAN Airlines (JAL) has carried out the world's first successful test flight of a Boeing plane run on biofuel made primarily of a non-food energy crop called camelina.

In a joint project with the United States' Boeing and engine maker Pratt and Whitney, JAL - Asia's largest carrier - held a demonstration flight of about 90 minutes.

One engine on the Boeing 747-300 aircraft, which took off from Tokyo's Haneda airport, was powered by biofuel mixed with conventional kerosene jet fuel.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I guess it's a start, in some ways, to remove the dependence on oil. Still, it's a long way off becoming a reality.

How many crops will need to be grown for this fuel? The article says that these crops won't interfere with food crops or water resources, but I don't know about that. There's a lot of planes flying around and I imagine that farmers will plant whatever earns them money.

It would be better if Boeing tested some gravity shielding products!!!

www.news.com.au

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

In a joint project with the United States' Boeing and engine maker Pratt and Whitney, JAL - Asia's largest carrier - held a demonstration flight of about 90 minutes.

Immediately following the test flight, Boeing celebrated the success with champagne and distribution of pink slips.

Seriously, I wonder how many employees they could have retained with the funds they essentially wasted on this project? Biofuel is only a 'renewable' resource in the sense that, when used, it shifts the need from the fuel sector to the food sector. When will affordable corn prices be renewed? What about renewing fields that used to grow other food crops that made their way to the dinner table but which are now planted with biofuel crops instead, putting an even deeper crunch on the average family's food budget?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I hope they have worked out the problems

Recently it was discovered that Biodiesel Congeals when it gets cold: see link.

greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com...

Now I know all of you want to "assume" that they thought of that but it appears that it was an afterthought when it was mandated in Minnesota.

Unlike most states, Minnesota law requires diesel fuel to carry a 2 percent biodiesel blend — a policy backed by soy farmers, whose crop accounts for most of the state’s biodiesel stock.

They are now trying to blame petroleum for this to cover their asses but I think we know the deal

new topics

top topics

join