It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dragonflys are up to something? Please read.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Last summer I had a garden so I was out doors several hours a day. Most of my gardening was done from a wheel chair so when I got too hot or tired I just rolled over to a shady spot and rested.

The birds, squirrels, lizzards, butterflies and dragonflies and I developed quite an interest in each other.

Being a free spirit and open to new ideas and discoveries I went that extra mile and talked to all the creatures that came near. I was amazed that I felt a communication going on.

There was one lizard that I saw in the same area for several days. I would talk to him and he would crook his head sideways as if he were carefully listening.

I have noticed animals behaving differently than ever before. They are getting closer to my space and seem to have much less fear.

I don't understand it but welcome and encourage it in my little space on this planet.

For understandable reasons I do not discuss these happenings with my family or friends. They would not understand.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Boogley

Your dragonfly pics are absolutely stunning. Thank you for sharing them.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Re-the dreaded tokay gecko (up to 40cm. long here).
That's hilarious that you sold them in a pet store. Culturally here in Thailand they are sort of demonised. They infest our houses because they make homes behind wardrobes. We do have to kill them sometimes as they breed like rabbits and are very noisy and messy. I used to catch them all and bag them, taking them into the jungle, but they always return to the house. The follow the mating call.
I went as far as marking them with texta, taking some up to 3oo mt away. They still came back. Once in a different house we had 30 of the things. Every home is suppossed to have a pair, but for some reason around me they seem to breed outta control.
There are street restaurants that sell them in Hong Kong,apparently a poor mans aphrodesiac.
They amuse me, and I have had one stuck to my face. My poor dog likes to bark at them and she too has had them latch on to her ears. They are vicious.
I often awake to see one sleeping on the wall (totally gravity defying) inches from my face.
To the person who was worried that we would find it amusing as the tokay ate the legendary dragonfly. Well, it is nature and that's pretty much what they do, so although I was wondering if my pet dragonfly was special, it was not an unuaual occurance.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Maybe they know that feeding time is near?

All my animals are very opportunistic.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
i absolutely love tokay geckos. so much.
sorry thats completely irrelevant.
maybe you had traces of a sweet substance on you? like honey?
something the insect would enjoy eating

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Dragonflies are pretty cool and dinosaurs by many respects. I've had one land on my chest while out in Miami, and while I traveled around to many other bars and clubs for the next couple of hours,it would not leave me. When hopping in a cab I carefully lifted it from me and set it to the wind. It was a fun ride for both of us.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
When I was a kid about 10 years old I was in my garden one summer day when I looked at the pond we had that my father had dug out it was about 12ft by 4feet in the middle of the pond my father had placed a large tree stump on top of that stump that was about 12" wide was the largest dragon fly I had ever seen or seen since the thing was Huge. It covered the tree stump and I would guess had a 12" wing span,its body was very thick and long blue in colour about 8" long and 1.5" thick. I was amazed ,I knew it was unusual and decided to catch it for the sake of science.However i did not have a net so I just grabbed a stick but as I went back to the pond the dragonfly took off and flew near enough to me to take a swing at it(I did not want to kill it just stun it so I could capture it)to be honest I was a bit scared of it as once in the air looked even bigger.I hit the dragonfly with the stick and I will never forget the hard thump as I hit it.I felt the vibration through the stick it was that hard.The dragon fly did not even flinch and just flew off out of the garden.I swear to god that is the truth and I am convinced it must have been a throw back to a prehistoric ancestor to have been that big.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

You should talk to that guy in the other tread. THAT Dragonfly was obviously from the goverment! hehe

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

In East Asia and among Native Americans, dragonflies have a far better reputation, one that can also be said to have positively influenced modern day views about dragonflies in most countries, in the same vein as the insect's namesake, the dragon, which has a positive image in the east, but initially had an association with evil in the west.

For some Native American tribes they represent swiftness and activity, and for the Navajo they symbolize pure water. Dragonflies are a common motif in Zuni pottery; stylized as a double-barred cross, they appear in Hopi rock art and on Pueblo necklaces. It is said in some Native American beliefs that dragonflies are a symbol of renewal after a time of great hardship.

Gecko's scare me....

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
dragonflies, like all insects, like salt. case solved.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
That's happened to me with dragonflies. They are very territorial and usually not afraid of much.

I don't think it mean anything, though. Many wild animals often do the same thing, such as feral cats, dolphins, some types of turtles, etc.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It could be that certain species are evolving to form symbiotic relationships with humans. I have had several insects and animals show similar behavior. Perhaps they are looking for protection. People tend to develoup fondness for certain species more than others, why shouldn't it be a two-way deal? Or maybe you just smell like food.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by serpentine

The insect does appear huge, but I'd ditch those huge contacts. You look like a bug with those huge red eyes.

edited to add:
actually, seriously, in areas where there are a lot of people, some birds just get used to the presence of humans, and will come within very close distance of people. consider the possiblity that it's just one step farther>?

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Levita]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Well here in kentucky we call them snake doctor's.

many of time's while fishing on the river's and creek's
They will come up and pester ya...But when they do..look round just little you will find out snake is dang close to you.

Thus why all the country folk call them snake doctor's.

They will land on your hand's hatbill's ect...
Then fly close to the spot where the snake is...and back to you then back again...till you realize it's a snake that's over there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join