It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steele Picked To Lead RNC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Steele Picked To Lead RNC

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Members of the Republican National Committee elected their first-ever African-American party chief on Friday, choosing former Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael Steele to chair the organization after six rounds of tumultuous balloting.

After five rounds of voting, the race for the chairmanship came down to a choice between Steele and Katon Dawson, the South Carolina GOP chairman who secured strong support from party insiders after former chairman Mike Duncan dropped out of the race earlier in the day.

Steele emerged as the winner on the sixth ballot, winning with 91 votes. A candidate needed a simple majority of 85 votes from the 168-member committee to secure victory.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/30/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Honestly, I'm having flashbacks of McCain picking Sarah Palin for obvious reasons, now the RNC is electing Michael Steele, the first African American to lead the GOP. Would this have happened if Obama wasn't elected President? Coincidence? You decide. Just my .02

putting this here so it is more than 50 words.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I have a feeling that the GOP is doing this so they can show that they can, just as the Democratic party can, enter a new age of tolerance along with everyone else.

I hear he's a fiscal conservative. He'll probably be a huge help to Obama and curb his spending.

I hope that the vote for him was based on ideological ties and not racial ties. But, it's better than having a social conservative as RNC chairman I guess.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I agree, RNC is doing anything they can to stay afloat. I just watched his Steeles speech on CNN.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by ecain]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
If African Americans made an honest assessment of themselves I bet they would find that they are more in line with the idealogies of Steele than they are with those of Obama, especially when it comes to God, religion and views on homosexuality and abortion.

This may be the beginning of a mass migration of Blacks from the left to the right.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by Alxandro]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

You know, when i first heard this i thought..."we can finally put the racial issue to rest!"

But who am I kidding....This will make it even worse!

I can see it now. "He was only elected to counter Obama being black!!", scream the democrats!

And what will the REAL racists do now?

None of it should matter, but it will to many.

Anyway...

This is historical. Never before have both political parties been led by African Americans.

Quite a feat in my eyes. One of the very few things to be proud of these days.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by David9176]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
But, it's better than having a social conservative as RNC chairman I guess.

True that, I've been looking over his record and it appears that the GOP made a good choice compared to the alternatives.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
i'm not too happy,,, i didn't like steele in the first rnc debate and wrote him an email as to why

and i'm not rascist,,,,but it's awful coincidental the fact he's black

of course the other guy was member of an all white country club--so not a good image either

in fact msnbc just showed his campaign sticker,,,it said STEELE
DEMOCRAT

he's quite moderate ,,, not even an registered repub,, apparently

also----did u see the speech he gave

the whole room was filled with old white people,,,,with gawdy clothes and combovers

not a young person in sight

i believe in conservative principles

but the repub part itself is like a club for rich old white folk
it isn't very inviting

so i guess maybe with steele out front this will change

i guess time will tell

however i know from prior comments,,, he';s not a big fan of ron paul,,or his supporters

[edit on 30-1-2009 by shortywarn]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I've followed Michael Steele for a few years now and I have no problems with his selection. He's a conservative and very "articulate". At this time I can't think of a better choice. Being black has nothing to do with it. I'm looking for a person that will stand for the people, with a vision and the moral conviction to stick with it, hell or high water. Personal gain does not figure into this equation!!!

The Republican party needs new younger faces to lead. I think we are all sick and tired of the same Republican hacks, from Gingrich to McConnell. Without new blood, the Republicans are doomed.

I know this will set off a few of you off, but McCain's pick of Sarah Palin as his running mate, was a breathe of fresh air. McCain did all Republicans a favor with that pick, regardless of what many think. Give her a couple years being coached in public speaking and the elimination of that eye wink, plus a couple years in the US Senate, and she may be ready for 2012.

By then I believe the American people will of had their fill of the Obama/Brezinski Administration attempts to stimulate the economy, by bailing out everyone but the American people. (Paul Volker, the inflation slayer, will be laying in the bushes) We must hope that the country will become more receptive to Republican tax cuts to stimulate through the creation of jobs and taxpayers versus Democratic give aways to everyone except those that earned it.

So back to the point. I believe Michael Steele is an outstanding selection, and him being black, green, yellow or purple, makes no difference to me. What's left of our America will be lost if we allow TPTB to perpetuate the divide and conquer policies that so permeates our society.

Republicans, give us more new faces and fresh ideas, with the guts to stick by them.

Mr. Steele, imho, is a step in the right direction.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Picking Steele is probably the most stupid, transparent attempt to appeal to minorities that the GOP could have come up with.

Just because the GOP has a black guy as a frontman; do you think minorities will forget the party that always votes against raising the minimum wage?

They should have just picked Rush and got it over with. He's the real leader of the GOP.

I remember when the GOP called themselves the "big tent" party in a failed attempt to attract minorities. The only sizable minority voting block the GOP has been able to attract is the Cubans but even they went for Obama this time.

[edit on 31-1-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I actually like the part of his speech that was on CNN last night, and I am a liberal. I must confess I was not familiar with any of the candidates for the chairmanship (paid too much attention to my own back yard) so I have no way of fairly judging between them. Steele looked like he was confident, capable and informed; if first impressions can be accurate, then the Republican party is reviving itself after the November disaster and Steele may provide the leadership it badly needs.

In the recent election it looked to me like the Republican Party was self-destructing. The true conservatives and the moderate ones were/are leaving the party in great numbers. Only the neo-cons, the evangelicals and the far-far-right fringe are left. The unfortunate result in Congress is that most of the Republican moderates were voted out of the House and the Senate in favor of their Democratic rivals. One would think that would be good for the Democrats, but it isn't. The moderates and the true conservatives could conceivably work effectively with the left; the Republicans who remain are extreme in their views and unlikely to make any compromises at all. That would reduce the possibilty of real bipartisanship and Washington will be back to the same old, same old partisan infighting that many if not most Americans want to get rid of.

If Steele is a true conservative then he would be the best person to run the party.

I'm not going to discuss his race. That has been done to death during the presidential campaign season.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Great Choice! ive been a big fan of Michael Steele ever since i first heard about him a little over a year ago. He even has his own website on how to fix the republican party, and how they have to look at the future and stop looking at the past. this guy is huge and is going to only get bigger when more people discover his ideas that can fix the republicans, i would not doubt that he will confidentally be the next republican running for president

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman
i would not doubt that he will confidentally be the next republican running for president

i doubt it,,,,
i think bobby jindal is next and an actual conservative at that

he seems to be a great govenor

i just hope palin doesn't show up in 2012 to waist our time

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
You know GOP, it doesn't work with just any black guy.

C'Mon, this is just a ploy, I can't believe anyone actually swallowed this tripe. The only reason the RNC picked Steele is because it was the politically correct du jour.

You know I have a dream, in this dream I see the day that race is no longer a political point on anyone's mind, but the merits and acumen of the person is the reason that person is elected. I see the day that the race card is finally played out. I see the day that we the people of these United States finally understand that it's not the color of the skin that's important, but the quality of the person's soul. That day, and only that day will we all truly be free.

Until that day, we are all slaves, we are all slaves to ideology, to political correctiveness, and to fear of being labled as intolerant.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Just because the GOP has a black guy as a frontman; do you think minorities will forget the party that always votes against raising the minimum wage?

What a strange comment, since the majority of Min. Wage increases were legislated by Republican Presidents, the only notable exception is Kennedy.

Back to topic...

When do you think our media outlets will simply report who gets a position rather than mentioning the descent of the person?

Maybe if we stopped using terms that divide us as humans (racial designations), the race card wouldn't be playable.... Maybe...

Steele is a politician, and as such, has had controversy, improper actions, and the ever popular mouth full of foot a few times in his past.

Will he be an asset for the RNC? Only time will tell. Everyone has the potential for growth and change.

Personally, I'd rather see more attention be focused on the OTHER available parties, Libertarian, Constitution, Green, etc..

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

What a strange comment, since the majority of Min. Wage increases were legislated by Republican Presidents, the only notable exception is Kennedy.

Oh really, Google is your friend. The last min wage raise was in 97 under Clinton.
oops, Last two increases were under "W"
www.washingtonpost.com...

dyn/content/article/2007/01/03/AR2007010301619.html

Topic....Steel is just a shill

[edit on 3-2-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

Oh really, Google is your friend. The last min wage raise was in 97 under Clinton.
oops, Last two increases were under "W"
www.washingtonpost.com...

dyn/content/article/2007/01/03/AR2007010301619.html

Topic....Steel is just a shill

[edit on 3-2-2009 by whaaa]

how bout this. the democrats used barack obama because he is black and young, they knew they would get the minority vote and the liberal vote and also get the media to back him because he isnt hillary thus winning the election.

see look the democrats did it first. dont be such a tool in the world and actually think about both sides before you run your mouth off.

and may i also mention, colin powell and condi rice were in george W's cabinet, but we forget about them quickly because they arent liberal democrats so they must not be black.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It looks like he's already off to a good start...

Michael Steele, the new chairman of the Republican National Committee, has asked the entire staff to resign, FOX News has confirmed.

Link

Obviously, it'll all depend upon the replacements, but on the surface, if this is the start of cleaning out some of the RINOs and Neo-conservatives that have dominated the party for the last decade plus, its an excellent move.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Picking Steele is probably the most stupid, transparent attempt to appeal to minorities that the GOP could have come up with.

The only sizable minority voting block the GOP has been able to attract is the Cubans but even they went for Obama this time.

[edit on 31-1-2009 by whaaa]

Yes sir this why you are a friend...

A chicken hawk without out a head is a - chicken or a hawk?

or a hicken or a cawk?

Anyways don't remember the saying.

I do like his last name though

STEAL

OR

STEEL

NOPE its STEELE!

Tough and shady at the same time.

At least he is black!

The 1st should be remembered.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman

how bout this. the democrats used barack obama because he is black and young, they knew they would get the minority vote and the liberal vote and also get the media to back him because he isnt hillary thus winning the election.

How bout people voted for Obama like the constitution suggests.

How bout TWO wars, One war on Terror, The war of terror on our economic system
and the half a million jobs GONE this quarter alone?

Should people have voted for more of this?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join