It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much maintainence does a bow/crossbow need?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hi all,

Could anyone fill me in on how much wear and tear you get from on a crossbow and archery bow? Apart from the arrows and bolts obviously, are there many spare parts that you would need for when they wear out?

Was thinking about investing in something for the future, but remember seeing a review recently and i'm sure the crossbow string looked worn, i was wondering if these go pretty quick?

Thanks for any advice.

CX.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Depends on how much you shoot it but usually just a stick of string wax and a little dry axle lube. You will lose some arrows so thats the most expensive part of archery as a whole after the initial expense of buying a bow.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
On modern cross bows you do not leave them stringed, primarily because the knocking point on the ends of the limbs are normally plastic these day, and left strung for any length of time they eventually crack and split. your strings are best kept seperate well coated in string lubricacts and not in the light.

Similar with recurve bows take down or other, dont leave them strung, compund bows on the otherhand I believe need to be left strung because of the huge forces applied by the pully system.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If you are talking about a survival situation, I would definitely go with the bow. Crossbows have too many moving parts and are difficult to repair when you are in a survival situation. Bows, however, can be easily made with just a knife and some hemp rope. Keep in mind that hemp is the worlds strongest natural fiber. I'd have to say it's much better to be able to make a bow in the woods than buy a crossbow. Just my 2 cents though!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The only def. between a cross bow and a recurve or compound bow is the amount of prictice it takes to shoot it well. There all a 40yard or less weapon!!! The one that will last the longest with the lest amount of care is the long bow the next is the recurve. The compound and the crossbow are about the same with the crossbow needing the most mait. because of having more moving parts. If youve never shot a bow get a crossbow. Jest remember compounds and crossbows do not shoot home made arrows well.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I think some of you are confusing a none-pulley crossbow with a pulley driven one.
Compound crossbows are a nightmare in the field if you are roughing it, as if debris and dirt gets stuck in the wheels you risk a damaged mechanism and ballistic accuracy will drop off.

Ordinary crossbows with fibreglass prods are a cheap and user-friendly weapon.
I leave the crossbow strung as it's nowhere near as easy to string/unstring one compared to a longbow say.
Having said that I wear eye protection when I'm using it as if the string snaps on a crossbow you risk losing an eyeball! :O

top topics

join