It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a tribute to Firefighters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I wanted to make this thread so people will understand the mindset of a Firefighter. I am not doing this for any thank you's I appreciate them but get enough of that on the street when I wear my colors people do every once and a while thank me and I am humbled by it and always have to choke back a tear. Just so you understand I am not looking for any kudos, that I get plenty.

Now that I got that out of the way...

Most Firefighters live up to the promise we make to the public (I know there are rare cases that some do not) and we take our badge, the Maltese cross very seriously. We are a humble group and try to do this in our deed and when I look at this symbol it chokes me up if I think about it very deeply. My comrades I work with are the best of the best. Only God knows how much I love them. First this is the history and meaning of our badge.

The badge of a fireman is the Maltese Cross. This Maltese Cross is a symbol of protection and a badge of honor. Its story is hundreds of years old.

When a courageous band of crusaders known as the Knights of St. John, fought the Saracens for possession of the holy land, they encountered a new weapon unknown to European warriors. It was a simple, but a horrible device of war, it wrought excruciating pain and agonizing death upon the brave fighters for the cross. The Saracen's weapon was fire.

As the crusaders advanced on the walls of the city, they were struck by glass bombs containing naphtha. When they became saturated with the highly flammable liquid, the Saracens hurled a flaming torch into their midst. Hundreds of the knights were burned alive; others risked their lives to save their brothers-in-arms from dying painful, fiery deaths.

Thus, these men became our first firemen and the first of a long list of courageous firefighters. Their heroic efforts were recognized by fellow crusaders who awarded each here a badge of honor - a cross similar to the one firemen wear today. Since the Knights of St. John lived for close to four centuries on a little island in the Mediterranean Sea named Malta, the cross came to be known as the Maltese Cross.

The Maltese Cross is your symbol of protection. It means that the fireman who wears this cross is willing to lay down his life for you just as the crusaders sacrificed their lives for their fellow man so many years ago. The Maltese Cross is a fireman's badge of honor, signifying that he works in courage - a ladder rung away from death.

Dont thank me but next time you encounter a Firefighter dont hesitate to thank them. They may act like its no big deal but I remember every person that has thanked me. The job is rough at times and sometimes we see what people should never see and a simple thank you from the public keeps the motivation going.

If you want to thank the Fire service itself here that's cool I just want you to know I am not looking for it personally. I see people wanting to say something sometimes and realize they sometimes feel like they dont want to intrude. Tell them what you feel.

A salute to the best damn organization this world has ever seen!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Oh well. Sorry, but I'm gonna give you Kudos anyway. Thank you for what you do.

Firefighters are a rare breed, and LGM is right. Thank them when you have the opportunity. How many strangers do you know who will literally risk death to help save you? Firefighters do it every day.

Nice thread.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Oh well. Sorry, but I'm gonna give you Kudos anyway. Thank you for what you do.

Firefighters are a rare breed, and LGM is right. Thank them when you have the opportunity. How many strangers do you know who will literally risk death to help save you? Firefighters do it every day.

Nice thread.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Well my friend a little payback is in order. MY dad was 82nd Airborne All American 11th. He was my inspiration and my personal hero. Thank you for being of the 101st Screaming eagles.

Airborne all the way!

Oh and a very humble your welcome.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
always give credit where credit is due, and you are one of two firemen i know personally here on ats.
this is my buddy Six..
www.belowtopsecret.com...
who is a fire fighter in the peach state.
and lurks more than posts..lol..
i see you Six!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

Much love and respect to you and firefighters all over the globe! You guys are some honorable souls!! You put your life on the line everyday and honestly have all my due respect!!!
Also thanks for teaching me all about the Maltese Cross and what it means!

Words can not express the level of honor you hold.. But these words will have to do.. Firefighters are the backbone to this society. IF it wasnt for you.. The fires would consume our homes, our lives..

As a firefighter.. Do you feel that fire is a living being?
What are your deep thoughts on what fire is at the base roots..

Fire breaths and consumes oxygen. While this may be off topic, you are welcome to U2 me about this.. I have always wondered.. Is fire a misunderstood essence?
Granted it needs to be kept under control.. And is very deadly..

You guys stand on the front lines.. And I honor you and other firefighters!

You have my respect! And I thank you for such a tribute!

Your friend,
Zy5

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5

As a firefighter.. Do you feel that fire is a living being?
What are your deep thoughts on what fire is at the base roots..

Fire breaths and consumes oxygen. While this may be off topic, you are welcome to U2 me about this.. I have always wondered.. Is fire a misunderstood essence?
Granted it needs to be kept under control.. And is very deadly..

Thank you. Love and respect back to you!

Fire...my Nemesis. As you know I am a Cancer and that is a water sign. Just as water lives in us so does fire. Fire is such a consuming beast and its power when it is all around you and the heat is so intense you can barley look at it even with your blast shield down is an awe inspiring thing. It seems to taunt you and scare you and call to you. It seems to want to live and once it gets out of control its like nothing you can imagine. It finds places to hide and really seems to hide from you.

One fire we were on it was very mild at first, we were all confident with this one we got there with plenty of time to spare. Then it got into the walls and we couldn't get to it and it then got to the top of these stairs and cuts us off from it then it started roaring through the second floor, we tried bouncing the water off the ceiling though a window, my captain got on the flat portion of the roof next to where we ventilated it (cut a hole through the roof with a chainsaw) and it got under him and seemed to try and take him. It was below zero and we all started to get our turnouts frozen and it seemed so determined to beat us and consume the entire home. We dumped over 8,000 gallons on it and it just kept getting stronger. Remember this was a fire that seemed like a quickie. We fought it for hours with three battalions and we finally lost the house. All of it.

Fire does live it seems to almost think sometimes.

It is a misunderstood essence. Have you ever seen backdraft? We normally call it flashover it reacts just like the movie, it makes the windows bow in and out as it breathes, smoke blows and gets sucked back in and if you ventilate it too fast it explodes. We had a flashover in a basement, I hate basement fires. It had an outside egress with stairs because the people had turned it into an apartment. One of the guys went down there with a charged hoseline crouched down and opened the door. That mother flashed over and exploded like a bomb, and the brother got blown back up the staircase and landed about 15-20 feet in the backyard. He was completely unharmed except he looked like he just went in his pants.

Originally posted by AccessDenied
always give credit where credit is due

Thanks A.D. have you heard from Kris lately? If so tell her I miss her.

[edit on 31-1-2009 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

The 343 on 9/11

To the brothers in the FDNY...you are the worlds finest.

Amazing Grace

another one

The Firefighters Prayer

When I'm called to duty God
wherever flames may rage
give me strength to save a life
whatever be its age

Help me to embrace a little child
before it is too late
or save an older person from
the horror of that fate

Enable me to be alert
to hear the weakest shout
and quickly and efficiently
to put the fire out

I want to fill my calling and
to give the best in me
to guard my neighbor and
protect his property

And if according to your will
I have to lose my life
bless with your protecting hand
my children and my wife

[edit on 1-2-2009 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   

sorry hon, i have not heard from kris in months, but think of her often, and hope she is well.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I talked to her on the phone back in October. We had been talking again online and were going to get back together then a family member became terminal and I was on a death watch for about a month and by the time I called her she must have changed her mind about reuniting and told me she had found herself and to never contact her again.

Just so you know she is ok and may not come to ATS again. My path seems to be about sacrificing anything good that comes to me.

I made my first podcast if you want you can listen to it on my profile.

Cya

top topics

join