It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record-breaking heat scorches southern Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Record-breaking heat scorches southern Australia

news.yahoo.com

MELBOURNE, Australia – Southern Australia suffered Friday from a record-breaking heat wave that has threatened rural towns with wildfires and sent ambulance crews after heat-stressed patients.
Melbourne, Australia's second-largest city recorded its third consecutive day of temperatures above 43 degrees Celsius (109 F) for the first time since 1855, when record-keeping began, the Bureau of Meteorology said.
The temperature in Melbourne topped 45.1 C (113 F) on Friday ahead of a cooler change that might even bring some thunder showers, the bureau said.
Adelaide, the other major city on the south coast, is expected to match its longest heat wave in a century by Monday, with six consecutive days exceeding 40 C (104 F). The heat there buckled train and tram lines.
The high temperatures have afflicted tennis players and spectators alike this week at the Australian Open in Melbourne, where men's No. 3 seed Novak Djokovic retired ill from a game Tuesday after heat-related complaints.
The retractable roofs on Rod Laver Arena have been closed at least parts of the last three days.
There was controversy Wednesday when they closed the roof during the match between Serena Williams and Svetlana Kutzetsova. The Russian had won the first set, but the break gave Williams time to recover and she rallied to win.
Players complained that it felt like their feet were burning right through their shoes. A bunch of moths that have annoyed the players were basically sizzling and dying within seconds of landing on the broiling court surface.
Melbourne is the capital of Victoria state, where three rural towns were under threat from wildfires spreading quickly in the furnace-like conditions, Country Fire Authority deputy chief fire officer Geoff Conway said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I don't believe that just because we've had a cold winter here in the states that we can fully rule out global warming.

As has seen here the phenomenon still exists and there still seems to be a warming pattern throughout the world.

I ask, though, why have we acted foolish in thinking that the phenomenon has been proven wrong just by two cold winters?

I expect that since that it's been that cold in Australia that during the summer here we should expect equally harsh temperatures.

Maybe Al Gore was right.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
How does 104 heat buckle train lines? I live in Arizona where it can be 120 and the train tracks are fine?

Just curious .

Ama

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
You cant assume anything from regional temperature data and use that as support for the global warming fraud.

Because it is record heat where it is summer, and record cold where it is winter does not in any way indicate that global warming or climate change are responsible. The long term global averages are what you need to be looking at, not regional anomalies.

109 degrees eh?

Try spending a summer in Phoenix, I've seen a whole month hotter than that!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It isn't really South Australia... that's a different state. The record heat was in Melbourne, Victoria. Victoria is really a South Eastern State.

Anyhow, I live here and it's been very hard going for the last few days. The train tracks have buckled but what people need to realize is that the heat in Australia is different to America in regards to relative humidity. To add to that, our train lines were outsourced to an American company Connex. Worst move ever. They take the profits and do very little maintenance and hence the train lines have buckled. That's just the tip of the iceberg in the list of travesties that is Connex. The sooner we can get rid of them, the better!

Apart from the last week, it's been a relatively cool summer. One of the worst I can remember. It would be foolish to use this last few days as proof of global warming. If you want a more accurate picture, check out the temperatures in Victoria from the first of December, the start of our summer and you will see something entirely different.

Now I'm off to get myself some ice water. It's still bloody hot here at 4am in the morning and I cannot sleep!

IRM

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Yeah my damm power was off for ages.........

Over it, but i am very very hot. Tipping its about 50 degrees in my place no aircon and top floor.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Ooooh boy, I saw this coming from a Nautical Mile away. The minute that I read this story, I knew that the "Global Warming Is Still Alive" crowd would emanate from their Frozen Tundra Igloos.

Before any Meteorological or Climatological Analysis is made in regards to this story, let us look at the Over-dramatization of this Article.

First off, Temperatures of 104 Degrees Fahrenheit are NOT Extreme. I live in the Mid-Atlantic of the United States, and we have had Heat Waves lasting for nearly Two Weeks in the July-August Time Frame, wherein the Temperatures Soar to between 105 and 110 Degrees Fahrenheit, with 80%+ Humidity. In Southern Australia however, you typically have Dry Heat, with Humidity below 50%.

In regards to Dry Heat, I have experienced such Weather when not too far North of Africa (Sahara-Mediterranean Climate), and we had a "Heat Wave" with Temperatures between 115 and 120 Degrees Fahrenheit, all while we stayed in Houses with No Air-Conditioning (They were built for it though, with Extremely Thick Walls, Doors, etc.).

Second, the article discusses Moths and Insects simply falling out of the Air and Sizzling upon Contact with the Ground, Individuals feeling the Heat through their Shoes, and Train Tracks Warping.

Now, combine the Second Notation with the First, and I can tell you what my Experience dictates in regards to the Interpretation of this "News Article". I myself am a Person who absolutely abhors the Heat, but even in this weather, while Moving Furniture through a Village for a Relative of mine, I never felt Heat through my shoes, Nor saw Metal bending, Nor have I EVER witnessed "Sizzling Insects".

As or the "Warping Train Tracks", that is either a Flat-out lie, or you have some SERIOUSLY cheap Tracks there mate. We have Train Tracks running through areas such as Las Vegas, NV, and Phoenix, AZ, where Summer Temperatures are normally at, and even above, what your "Heat Wave" has brought forth, and yet they never experience such drama.

Also, as far as Adelaide is concerned, Heat Waves this time of year are not Abnormal. Even your own Government goes into detail in this aspect:

The summer frequently extends into periods of heat wave and drought, while the winters, while usually cold, wet and windy, are quite mild in comparison to winters in many European countries.

Australian Weather and the Seasons

As far as Neighboring Temperatures go, Sydney is currently Averaging in the Mid-80's Fahrenheit, Papua New Guinea to the North is Averaging in the Mid-80's Fahrenheit, South Africa, Far to the West but of the same Climate type, is Averaging in the Upper-70's Fahrenheit; in Auckland, New Zealand, your Neighbors to the South East, they are Averaging in the Mid-80's Fahrenheit.

Take note of the Oceanic Current as of now, and note the Southerly Flow directly impacting South Australia:

So as far as "Global Warming", this is hardly such. This is a localized issue, and hardly representative of a "Global" Event.

BTW, stay Cool down there mates, don't over stress yourselves, and make certain to take care of the Sick and Elderly who really cannot cope with such Heat. Best of luck through your Heat Wave.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have lived in Phoenix Arizona and Australia and the heat in Australia is much much worse. The humidity and hole in the ozone just make it really painful and a lot worse than in the USA.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

I live in the Midadlantic states too. I know that 104 degrees isn't really that hot. I just wanted to point out how another part of the world is having record breaking heat waves, and, I just wanted to say how ironic it is that just because we're having a cold winter means that suddenly global warming is a hoax. I just think it's silly how people are reacting to the cold weather. I thought they were joking but I was wrong. They seriously think that because the weather is cold (I would argue) that fossil fuels don't make the earth hotter.

[edit on 31-1-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It is weird weather as i am in Queensland & it is normally hot here this time of here but it has not stop raining. Even in North Queensland they are having floods.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Man... thats all screwed. Here in sydney we have had a pretty hot week.... not heaps heaps hot but its been hot during the night. Last week we had a few days around 40, what made it worse though was that it was really humid :s.
But IMO I dont think this is all from global warming. I mean..... summer came really late this year, we have only really had temps like this since the start of the year when its normaly much warmer in december.

top topics

join