It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan sewage yields more gold than top mines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Japan sewage yields more gold than top mines

www.iii.co.uk

A sewage treatment facility in central Japan has recorded a higher gold yield from sludge than can be found at some of the world's best mines. An official in Nagano prefecture, northwest of Tokyo, said the high percentage of gold found at the Suwa facility was probably due to the large number of precision equipment manufacturers in the vicinity that use the yellow metal.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I thought this was an interesting article.

Why are facilities allowing gold into the sewage system. Luckily it's heavy and sinks with the sludge.

Actually, there quite a bit of gold in sewage around the world.

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,170,000 for gold in sewage. (0.26 seconds)
Search Results

Chinese pan for gold in the sewage - Telegraph
A town in southern China is proving that where there's muck, there's gold and silver.
telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/17/wgold117.xml - Similar pages -
Weekend tidbits: Gold in sewage, Indian billionaires and the Dalai ...
Richard Spencer of The Telegraph reports that a new breed of waste collectors has struck deals with jewellery makers to pan for gold in the sewage. ...
shanghaiist.com/2007/11/17/weekend_tidbits.php - 41k - Cached - Similar pages -
Funny News for a Change: Japan Finds more Gold in Sewage than Gold ...
Discusion about Funny News for a Change: Japan Finds more Gold in Sewage than Gold Mines in the AboveTopSecret.com website alternative topics discussion ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread432573/pg1 - 2 hours ago - Similar pages -
Gold and platinoids in sewage sludges
Sewage sludges from German municipal wastewater treatment plants possess high gold concentrations (280 to 56000 μg/kg in dry matter) similar to some ore ...

www.google.com...

www.iii.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-1-2009 by doctordoom]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by doctordoom

Gold rush in the sewers
the owners of the sewage plant must be glad, since they have a small gold mine on their hand aswell

smelly gold

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
So many jokes, none clean enough to post!

sty

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

i wonder how they manage to extract the gold out of the waste waters..

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

Not my kind of panning!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It all boils down to improper waste disposal in general. Gold would be the least of our worries but makes an amusing headline.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I imagine it would stop smelling once you melted it down. But yeah, who would want to pan for it???

"I found another one! Oh, nevermind, just more corn."

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Sara1

Actually, it's pretty serious. With gold comes mercury, and other chemicals.

I would be willing to bet that they are not collecting the chemicals. Those pass through, a bit filtrated, but still there enough to affect us, and are put back into our drinking water, our rain, our bodies.

And the waters will be poisoned.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by doctordoom]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

That was really corny.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I never though that panning for gold could be such a crappy job!

second line.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by doctordoom

What do you mean?

Do you mean gold alloys? with mercury? I think that's rare. Since these are wastes from manufacturing I don't see why they'd use alloys. Gold isn't a chemical either.

Also if I remember my chemistry well gold is one of the least reactive metals.

While I do agree with you, you won't make much of a case against pollution by using gold. Actual chemicals are pumped into the sewers but those don't make the news for some reason, hmmm.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

EDMONTON — The proposed transfer of the Gold Bar sewage plant to Epcor leaves the city open to a complaint under various free-trade agreements, an international trade lawyer says.

www.edmontonjournal.com...

Sounds like a golden opportunity.

I wonder if this is the reason that Veolia (a French company) has the largest amount of government contracts of wastewater treatment in the US.

Over the past two decades, Veolia Water companies have worked with various agencies of the federal government in delivering services under task order, indefinite quantity/indefinite delivery, and other types of long-term management and operations type of contracts

www.veoliawaterna.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sara1

Originally posted by doctordoom

What do you mean?

Do you mean gold alloys? with mercury? I think that's rare. Since these are wastes from manufacturing I don't see why they'd use alloys. Gold isn't a chemical either.

Also if I remember my chemistry well gold is one of the least reactive metals.

While I do agree with you, you won't make much of a case against pollution by using gold. Actual chemicals are pumped into the sewers but those don't make the news for some reason, hmmm.

I was doing a little research, and I found this eye opening website.

Pollution Prevention (P2) for Printed Circuit Board Manufacturing 3672
California Environmental Protection Agency
CalGOLD Program, www.calgold.ca.gov...
CalGOLD staff, [email protected]
©1998, 2006 All rights reserved.

www.calgold.ca.gov...

Guess it's in the US too.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Yah it's a step in the right direction but doesn't go far enough, then again does anything go far enough? It's interesting and they should be putting more effort into stuff like that
I wish there was a clean fix to all the problems but I doubt there is one. We all like our computers too much lol.

Circuit boards, that's why there's so much gold in Japanese sewers eh.
This is a case where that P2 would work wonders, imagine the savings by keeping that gold put. They shouldn't be that sloppy in the first place. At least gold is useful, not really a waste by definition, it being in the sewers is the waste of a good metal! But the best that P2 seems to offer is a reduction in useless waste. It's good but not enough.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Next time I need my septic tank pumped out I'm gonna call around and ask for the highest bidder!

Oh yeah!

And I want a full report on what they find for future bidding's on pumping out my septic tank!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Wow....

So this is Bed Panning for gold eh?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
How amazing and just plain nasty at the same time. Good find. I would have to get a LOT of money to pan for gold in our waste! And it's just plain yucky! ewe!

join