It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.5 quake rattles Puget Sound area

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

4.5 quake rattles Puget Sound area

www.komonews.com

SEATTLE (AP) - There are no immediate reports of damage from a 4.6 magnitude earthquake that rattled the Seattle and Puget Sound area at 5:25 a.m. Friday Pacific time. But it woke a lot of people up.

The U.S. Geological Survey says it was centered 16 miles northwest of Seattle near Kingston. The preliminary magnitude could be revised.

The shaking woke up Robert Lyden on Anderson Island in Puget Sound. He says it felt like something had hit is roof and says it knocked a water fountain off his deck.

Lacey Menne says it shook her house in Kingston as she was preparing to go to work at the Coastal Cafe. She says it shook longer than most little quakes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
At about 5:24 AM we had an earth quake here in the Seattle area. I live about 60 miles north of seattle at the base of Mt Pilchuck and at about 5:24 AM my house began to shake from side to side and the bounce up and down.

The actual shaking quake lasted only about ten seconds but was enough to rattle the dishes in the cupboard and the bottles in the refrigerator.

The thing that I find interesting is that my dogs and the dogs in the area have been barking all night, this is not completely unusual as will live in a very remote area with a lot of wildlife that the dogs will alert to from time to time,but within minutes after the quake stopped all the barking has stopped as well.

The dogs were very restless tonight wanting to go outside and immediatly wanting back in, this is very unusual.

Just minutes before the quake the dogs came and sat directly in front of me and made eye contact as if they were waiting for a command, as they did this I was thinking how strange and then the shakening began. The dogs did not take there eyes off of me until the shaking stopped.

I am quite sure they knew the quake was comming long before it hit.

Also as I mentioned we are rather remote and very, very quiet at night but tonight I kept hearing what sounded like the rumble of a large truck or jet plane.

The news just said it was a 4.6 shallow quake and callers are telling there stories of strange behavior of pets inculding one caller saying that his dogs had both jumped into his bed five minutes before the quake hit and the dogs refused to get off the bed.

Just thought some ATSers might find this interesting.

www.komonews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I'm in Lake Stevens, and my dogs were fast asleep. They both jumped to their feet in a hurry when the house racked sideways 6". I lived through the Northridge quake, Jan 17th, 1994, so this was no big pizza.

Even though it's been downgraded to a 4.5, it does serve as a reminder of the potential for large, devastating quake here in the NW.

Many of us have been watching the heightened earthquake and volcanic activity around the world, especially since the swarm at Yellowstone.

Here's one volcano I don't want waking up, Glacier Peak. Many people around here don't even know it exists because it's not visible from any populated areas. It's got a history as ugly as St. Helens.
pubs.usgs.gov...

Peace

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Did it seem rather violent for a 4.5? a lot of movement.

My dogs have been very keyed up all night, but are now sleeping.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
news.aol.com...

How far away is Washington state from alaska? Do you think maybe these could somehow be related? (underground faultlines and all) Hope this link came through properly still kinda new here. Could be worth a look? Good luck to all in Washington, hope everyone is safe...

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Here it felt like one energetic wave from west to east. There wasn't any prolonged shaking but yes, it was somewhat violent. The house creaked loudly, you could just feel the power. I was standing in my bathroom. Let's just say I had to correct my "aim".

Violent in comparison to this? not even close!

Northridge Earthquake Jan 17th 1994

Don't forget to fill out the "Did you feel it" report at USGS.

Peace

[edit on 30-1-2009 by lernmore]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rockhndr

Ya I would guess there is some type of conection.

I think we are connected by the "pacific rim of fire"

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Is that from an earthquake ?

Or has Californias lack of money caused severe road deteriation

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The ring of Fire seems to be acting up and as an Alaskan resident this definately has my attention. Not sure but, is Yellowstone at the southern tip of the ring? Seems to be a geographical connection none the less.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Between the deterioration of the Viaduct and the age of the 520 "Floating Point" bridge, those of us in the Sound should be very thankfull this wasn't another Nisqually, let alone a Northridge strength quake. I didn't feel it, but I'm clear out on the western Cascade slopes. I did notice our neighbors dogs went batcrap at about 5:30, though.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by deepred

I slept through it. All the earthquake watching I have been doing the last few months and now that there is one in my back yard, I sleep through it.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
In vancouver bc here... didn't feel it.. didn't wake up and none of the pets seem to have cared.
im not surprised that they were a bit freaked out... when your world shakes like that, it could be freaky.

an underground fault line from alaska to washington state.. LMAO.. omg that was funny..
I would imagine they are connected by, oh I dunno, lets say "the ring of fire".. you know, the pac plate and the N.A plate.

how many miles between alaska and washington state? thousands... not to mention there is a WHOLE OTHER COUNTRY in between... americans don't often know that though.. so its ok.

there are many great EQ threads on ats... I suggest many of you read/brush up on them.

and as a personal note.. no, this is not directly linked to the volcano. this is directly linked to plate movement.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Yeah...I felt it too...thing is I live basically within a straight line from the epicenter only separated by a small piece of Whidby Island between it and me.

It wasn't only the dogs...I have a cat that was sleeping nxt to me. I have wall decorations made out of wire that rattled, as the wave moved thru...my apt. building creaked a bit...but the cat...another story...shot straight up, ran over to a low table and sat there staring westward, mesmerized in the exact direction of the quake epicenter.

all this took place in about 4-5 sec of shaking. Then he came back over to me to rub noses...and laid down and went back to sleep.

I believe it is quite possible that this may have something to do with the Alaskan volcano...anything is possible.

~Holly

top topics

join