It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

going to try to join truck driving school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
i am very excited about the prospect but it is 5 grand. they have loans and programs you can get but i don't know if i would qualify. i am going to the school on tuesday to talk to them about it.
i think it would be a perfect career for me. i don't like being around other people much so the lonliness factor wouldn't bother me. i am divorced and my son lives with his mother so it's not like i have anything to get back to.
this would afford me enough money to get an apartment that my son could stay with me at on weekends and the like when i am home.

have any of you ever driven truck?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Good for you, man. Best of luck.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

Check around a bit. Some companies will pay for the school if you are willing to drive for them a certain period of time afterwards.

Independant schools like what you describe seem more geared towards people who might want to own their own rigs.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

i will do that. thanks.
i think this would be a good move for me. there are no jobs around here and i really don't want to be stuck working for a fast food joint.
i wouldn't mind going over the road and seeing different places.
those trucks are decked out now with satelite tv, internet, radio...the works. all the comforts of home. i figure if i am home 2 weekends per month i could get my son on those weekends and then hit the road again. seems like a perfect program for me

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I would suggest doing a bit of reassure on any of these schools that appeal to you. There are, well there was when I drove truck, a lot of fly by nighters.

I went to community collage to get my truck license it cost me 350$ Cnd through the unemployment center.
It was the best move I ever made, I was in the elevator construction trade in 79 and the economy was tanking. So I had to do something quick.
No matter how bad the world gets, something somewhere has to be somewhere else. I drove from 81 to 01 and then retired and I'm only 50.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I was a truck driver for werner. You have to pass a dot physical. Do not believe everything you hear from those schools. If you have had anything like failing a drug test or anything like d.u.i's tell the company you go to work for. A lot of company's will not hire you if you can not pass the physical or will not hire you if you lie about anything. The school will tell you to only go back 5 years, but the companies want your whole history. If you want more info u2u me or zaphod58. We can answer any questions you might have.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
In your situation it probably is a good option. I personally couldn't imagine driving around one of those huge things. I hate driving to begin with and thinking about that big of a vehicle just boggles my mind.

People say it's pretty easy when you get the hang of it but to me backing one of those things up would suck.

new topics

top topics

join