It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop talking about smokers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Stop *snip* about smokers. I smoke for over 40 years and I am still alive.
Some can live healthy active live and smoke.Smoking do not kill.
I saw a many of a "health freaks" running or walking down a street and breathing those cars fumes and break dust. Some spend an hours on a excersise and then drive down a street in convertible or with windows open.
Stop crying about the "second hand smoking" - it does not exists.
Do you have an idea of what you are breathing. Deadly chemical compounds in brakes,tires,engine emission are the cause of many form of a cancers. Before automobile - people smoke tobacco and live a "happy live".
Stop *snip* and "get a life".

====
Mod Edit: No profanity, please.

[edit on 1/30/2009 by Badge01]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
It think it all goes hand and hand with the 'Global warming' scam. Also, look at the Rx companies, medications for just about everything ... all with very dangerous side effects.

I plan on NEVER taking meds for anything.. I intend to let nature take it course.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
It's people like you who give smokers a bad rep. You should be considerate when smoking around others. I agree that there's more people should be worried about and smoking probably does petty harm compared to pollution generally, but if someone blows smoke in my face I'll be pissed off, and I DO smoke.

40 years ... I guess you forgot how horrible smoke smells to someone who doesn't smoke (or even does).

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by liesnomore
Before automobile - people smoke tobacco and live a "happy live".
Stop bitching and "get a life".

Yeah and before doctors and health professionals stopped "selling/promoting" cigarettes, everyone thought they had health benefits...

If you think smoking/smoke has no side effects or has no health problems attached to it... you are sadly mistaken

[edit on 30/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Stop bitching about smokers. I smoke for over 40 years and I am still alive.

Stop crying about the "second hand smoking" - it does not exists.

Oh, really? What is all that stuff you are exhaling after you inhale? What is all that stuff rising off your cigarette when it's lit, and you set it down in an ashtray? I believe it's called smoke!

While you might be alive after 40 years of smoking, are you recommending other people take up the habit just because you are?

Be considerate of other people that don't indulge in your bad habit!

This is coming to you from a smoker by the way. I fully admit to being an addict, if a considerate one at that!

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Sara1

I have to agree with you 100%. I have been a smoker for almost 15 years. But I do have the common curtosy to not light a cigarette in the face of a non-smoker, or even a fellow smoker for that matter. I smok outsideas I have children, I dont smoke in my Car when my kids are in it. And when I'm outside I make it a point to smoke away from people. I will usually walk about 15 feet away from someone and light my cigarette.

It's called common curtosy. Just because i like to smoke does not mean that i have the right to ruin someone elses day by sparking up a cigarette in someone face and blow smoke all over them. The only beef I have ever had with someone who does not smoke was one tme when I went outside for a cigarette, I was in a park area and I made a point to go away from the crouds, I found a nice bench away from people and I sat down and started having my cigarette. This guy comes walking buy and has the nerve to ask my this. "Excuse me but I want to sit on this bench here but I can't case your smoking and I dont want to be effected by your cigarettes secon hand smoke. You think you could leave or put out the cigarette?"

For me I find that to be one of the rudest things I've eve seen. I go out of my way to stay awa form people so I can have a smoke and some moron has the balls to ask me to leave a place where I already was and he came to after and ask me to move.

In the end my only repl to the man was that I had the commons sense to move away from everyone so I could smoke in peace and not disturb anyone. Dont come to where I am nd ask me to move. Go down the path to another bench. The man called me a few rude names and said when he dies of cancer because of my second hand smoke that he hopes I feel bad. But in the end why should I feel bad? I did not go into his space, he came into where I was and expected me to move.

In the end I do find most non-smoker to act rather nicley to me. Of course there are smokes out the who enjoy making nonsmokers mad. They will light up right in front ofthem and laugh about it. I find that to be reckless and rude.

I'll smoke for as long as I see fit, I dont get in peoples way and I expect that curtousy to be given back to me. If you dont smoke and don't want to be exposed to it, dont walk right up to a smoker who is nowhere near you and expect them to move.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It's the darndest thing but apparently second hand smoke does exist...and even if it doesn't, why do I have to sit and breathe it in when I am dining?

I live in Illinois where the ban took place last year. I will never give you that "you're gonna die speech' because frankly it isn't my business. If you are in soem smoking pit, I am not going to come out there and tell you to stop. That is well within your right. However alot of people don't want to see, smell and inhale the stuff.

I chose this link because it isn't fueled by activists

External Link

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Trayen11

I totally agree. I hate this little war between smokers and non-smokers. All it is is a conflict of interest, smokers shouldn't force people to inhale smoke, and non-smokers shouldn't force people to not do it!

Unfortunately there's rude bigots on both sides of this. Smokers who think they own the air and can walk up to people and start smoking. But also non-smokers think they own the air as well, and think they can walk up to someone who was already smoking and demand they stop in their presence.

Most smokers I see are very considerate, and ALWAYS ask if it's alright to light one when they're hanging around others, and the answer is usually "sure go ahead". So most people can co-exist somehow, but unfortunately the loud bigots are what both sides end up being judged as.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Smoking is a bad, nasty habit. It's disgusting and gives the person smoking bad breath. People throw cigarettes all over the roadways and sidewalks. It can kill you and hurt the ones you love. No smoking should be everywhere in public including bars. People who smoke are weak and let the drug empower them. If I had it my way tobacco would be extinct on this planet.

I am a smoker myself so I know. Someday I hope I can kick this horrible habit and be free.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I won't neccessarily say they are weak, but I won't say no because I don't. Not here to pass judgment.

I am agreeing of course that you are right solarskye, it is disgusting (to me at least) but I will never walk up to a smoker in his own right and ask them to stop

that's messed up

I am however happy for the indoor ban in Illinois

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by liesnomore

It is not us non-smokers who cause the harm, but the former smokers. They are the worst about people smoking. I have a few family members who quit smoking and they get very upset if someone lights up near them.

I am all for the smoking bans in public buildings and restaurants, but I think it should be allowed in bars and taverns.

Next time someone gives you a hard time when you light up, offer them a cigarette. They will more than likely be a "reformed" smoker.

BTW, smoke is terrible for the lungs, and they have to work to get rid of the toxins that were just put in. Thank the lucky stars you have a good set of lungs, as many people are less fortunate than you.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I quit smoking 30 days ago and feel so much better than I did before I quit.

I smoked for 45 years and it just about killed me. I don't have that horrible smokers cough at all anymore. I can breathe again.

I just wanted to brag about myself and my having the will to quit smoking.

You may now continue with the smokers VS non-smokers arguement.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Keep it up!

Don't go back.

Smoking kills people emotionally and physically.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Well good job Dizzie

I've never done it so I have no clue how hard it is to stop

Well done

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

It was difficult for my parents when they decided to quit smoking. They were on and off, until my Mom decided to quit for good. Dad soon followed, and it was wonderful to visit a smoke free house. They both immediately felt the benefits, and would complain about people who smoked.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

blah blah blah blah I like smoking
[edit on 1/30/2009 by Badge01]

OK I'll stop telling you about second hand smoking.

However the nice fellows over in the cancer ward will keep reminding you.

The nice people over at your local newspaper who write the obituary section will keep reminding you.

I personally have never told a smoker that smoking is bad, I just say "I don't smoke, and no I am not interested"

Smoking is OK as long as you minimize the effect on other people. As with any drug, if you want to take it, its your demise, just don't take anyone with you, and I will give you free tickets to do as you please.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I think smoking has become the new taboo. It's gone way beyond the simple knowledge that it's bad for you. People take a righteous, judgmental and holier-than-thou attitude toward smokers, and their sense of entitlement enables them to think it's ok to walk up to someone who's smoking outdoors away from people and tell them to stop.

I was once sitting in the smoking section of a restaurant when some people a few tables away asked if I would mind putting out my cigarette. Being the considerate person I am when it comes to non-smokers' rights, I almost did. But then it dawned on me. "I'm in the smoking section. I suggest you move to the non-smoking one."

One of the most outrageous laws was recently passed in Greenville, S.C. It not only banned smoking in all public places (which is ok by me) but it made it illegal to smoke outside, on the street or anywhere in the city. I guess the only place a person could smoke in Greenville would be in their car with the windows rolled up. Needless to say the law was challenged in court and lost.

I am presently using Chantix to try to quit my addiction. I hope I don't become a moral crusader when I do. Mark Twain once said, "It's easy to quit smoing. I've done it a hundred times."

[edit on 31-1-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Personally I don't care really if someone is smoking.

But there is a point where it gets annoying. for instance a lot of hardcore smokers have a certain aloofness about them when they are smoking around other people who aren't smokers. what I mean is. they don't notice that nobody else likes the smell of the smoke and that they are trying to stand a certain distance from you so that they too don't go around town for the rest of the day or whenever they wash their clothes again smelling like a garbage dump or ashtray. Yet they don't pick up on this and they keep trying to stand near you when they are talking to you. Read the body language if somebody keeps putting a certain distance between you and every time you try to get closer they back away again than get a clue.

They are also really unaware a lot of time which direction the smoke plume is going. they'll want to sit right next to you and don't notice the smoke is blowing right by you. they are so used to it they don't think about anybody else when they need their fix.

I have one friend that I'm good friends with but avoid his house like the plague. He chain smokes. the second you go over there your sinus start to burn along with your eyes. you smell god awful until you go home and shower and wash your clothes. and I know it seems shallow but his friendship just isn't worth having to smell god awful and have allergic reactions every time I go over there.

Ever have to sit in a smokers car? it's disgusting. smells like the inside of an ashtray. there is ash everywhere. and they have to smoke with the windows up. ash blowing all over the inside of the car. that's just rude. I don't sneeze on the person next to me, it's the same sorta thing. Your detrius is now my problem. Same thing when they smoke out in public and the ash flies everywhere.

The next A hole who throws a cigarette out their window and I have to swerve so the ash and embers don't hit me or fly inside my care i am going to run them into the next parked car on the side of the road.

It's not the best to invite guests over to your house then chain smoke while hovering over the dinner you are preparing. it's a good way to gross everybody out and have them not come back to your dinner parties.

Can't stand the people that sit in my passenger seat and throw a s- fit because I won't let them smoke in my car. One guy literally wanted me to pull over on the freeway during a 15 minute drive so he could have a smoke break. he literally threw a temper tantrum when I didn't. Thats the height of pathetic.

look if I had a disease where I walked around smelling like I just left a pack of hotdogs on the window sill for a month so that they got all slimy, made everybody else smell just as bad. spewed some seriously harsh chemicals into the air that not only smelled horrible, but actually did some really bad things to me, people would make laws banning where I could go too, and what I could do. especially if my obsession and addiction included burning little sticks that smelled like burnt tires everywhere i go. you would think I was wrong to force other s to endure it too, but since it's your addiction it's OK. sure. I guess.

Now if you smoke away from others so that they don't have to inhale the crap than it's fine. as long as you don't throw the detrius on the ground for someone else to wretch over or have to clean up, because the addiction is too gross for you to pick up and carry away with you or throw out properly. just gunna throw it on the ground. Start a brush fire maybe. number one cause in LA for brush fires.

top topics

join