It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.Ireland experts seek payouts for conflict's dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

N.Ireland experts seek payouts for conflict's dead

news.yahoo.com

BELFAST, Northern Ireland – A new Northern Ireland reconciliation plan that gives the families of slain innocents and killers the same "recognition" payment provoked fury Wednesday from Protestants victimized by decades of IRA attacks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I could not see this discussed anywhere, if I'm mistaken I'm sure the MOD's will remove this one.

the victims families from the numerous bombings that have happened over the years will recieve £12000 in compensation, all very well you say untill you realise that if the bomber died in the planting of the bomb his family will also recieve £12000.

will this set a president, could this see the families of others who have been behind some of the worlds greatest atrocities going to court for compensation.

could someone who is contemplating suicide go out a kill in the name of some belief in the hope that his family will be compensated financially.

on a sarcastic note if the bush government were ever found guilty of causing the 911 attacks then claim some of the compensation money.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This is something which could cause a debate on this site from members located or from the North of Ireland and also neutral members from different countries.

I find it hard to belive that the Protestants are taking special execption to this as they where as much involved as the Catholics in the problem.

Before just labelling Catholics or Protestants straight down the middle as enemies, many Republicans came from the Protestant Religion here such as Wolfe Tone - one of the founders of the Republican movement.

They are also blissfully ignoring the UVF etc and the B-Speicials. The Shankill Butchers killed random Catholics during the 70's and the B-Specials also attacked Catholics. Lets not forget the 13 Civil Rights protesters who where killed by the British Army in Derry in 1972. Live ammo was used and there was only one gun in Catholic hands at the time. There where also countless other attacks on homes and businesses.

But coming from the Republican side, I'm not going to deny that we where any better than the Loyalists as both sides were responsible for the killing of innocent people.

Catholics were treated as second class members of the community for countless years untill the Republican movement began and even during it.

At the end of the day, one country does not have the right to invade another and force their idealoligies (sp?) upon the natives. But - how do they calculate how much money a persons life is worth? How can money settle years of oppression and attacks? Attacks on both sides of the community.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
If you go out with the intention of killin someone, then you get killed yoursel, you should not get money given to your family. You chose to set a bomb, and it blew up in your face. Noone forced you too. Yes I understand the reasons many Irish wanted the british out. Does not mean that you family hould get compensation i you died while trying to blow stuff up. Now, if you were kiled by an agressor,then yes, your family should get money if you were innocent.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
A thread was started on this topic one week ago to the day.

It may be found here.

new topics

top topics

join