It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have we reached the "peak waste" ? - Hopefully

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
radar.oreilly.com...

In a recent conversation with my daughter Arwen and son-in-law Saul Griffith, Matt Webb remarked that he'd like 2008 to be remembered as the year of "peak consumption." Saul pointed out, though, that the term "peak waste" is perhaps more accurate. In an analogy to peak oil, he suggested that maybe we've reached the pinnacle of waste in our consumer culture. I do wonder if we will look back at the past few decades as a kind of sick aberration rather than a golden age, with good times we want to get back to. Like Saul, I'm hopeful that we can get rid of the waste, and get back to creating things of lasting value.

A new paradigm is emerging in our culture.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by orkson]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
One has to ask this question : "is the Crisis leading to household consumption slowing down, or household consumption slowing down leading to the crisis" ?
In my opinion, there is in all developped countries, those who overconsumed in the late years, a "prise de conscience" of this wastefull behaviour.
This leads to seriously diminish some "useless" or "excessive" consumptions, therefore leading to unemployment in the factories which produced them.
This came in the same moment where a LOT of money was invested in junk shares.
"useless" or "excessive" consumptions comes as a companion with greed and speculation.
The whole thing is imploding.

new topics

join