It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The widows of Wall Street slip into a great depression

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

The widows of Wall Street slip into a great depression

www.smh.com.au

THE economic crisis came home to Megan Petrus, 27, when her boyfriend of eight months, a derivatives trader for a big bank, proved to be more concerned about helping a laid-off colleague than comforting her after her father had a heart attack.

For Christine Cameron the recession became real when the financial analyst she had been dating for about a year would get drunk and disappear while they were out together, then accuse her the next day of being the one who had absconded.

Dawn Spinner Davis, 26, a beauty writer, said the downward-trending graphs began to make sense when the man she married on November 1, a 28-year-old private wealth manager, stopped playing golf, once his passion. "One of his best friends told me that my job is now to keep him calm and keep him from dying at the age of 35," Ms Davis said. "It's not what I signed up for."

They shared their sad stories at an informal evening gathering of Dating a Banker Anonymous, a support group founded to help women cope with the inevitable relationship fallout on Wall Street from the global financial crisis.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Are these women serious? Have they seriously started a support group called "Dating a Banker Anonymous"? So they have lost access to their credit cards, expensive shoes and 5 star restaurants every night and they feel the need to console each other on this? It makes me sick. Take this example:

"One of his best friends told me that my job is now to keep him calm and keep him from dying at the age of 35," Ms Davis said. "It's not what I signed up for."

What the hell? Has the world gone insane? That's what a partner is MEANT to be there for, to support the other through good times and bad. Perhaps I am simply an old timer, someone who believes in the phrase "Through good and through bad until death do us part".

Harriet Pappenheim, a psychotherapist at Park Avenue Relationship Consultants who wrote For Richer Or Poorer, a 2006 book on money in marriage, said the repercussions could be acute for Wall Street wunderkinds who defined their identities through their job titles and the size of their bonuses.

GOOD!!! These people need to learn what life is like for the other 99% of us hard working families. They need a little humility injected into their lives. Embarrassment? I hope so.

"It's a big blow to their egos and to their self-esteem," she said of the endless stream of economic bad news, "and they may take it out on their partners and children."

If they take it out on their partners and children then they deserve to go to jail, not be 'felt sorry for' because they squandered their millions and trod on good hard-working families to get there.

I am sickened by this.

www.smh.com.au

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
If things really are that bad for them, and if they were smart they would salvage what money they got left, figure what items they have that they could sell and hide it somewhere instead of wasting their money on therapists who are happily cashing in on this. But, these people are probably the types who were brought up in good homes, parents bought them brand new cars, paid for their education, had the best of everything and then lived a pretty comfortable life as adults. I do feel sorry for the ones that had built themselves up from nothing after working very hard, but I think they will be fine.

But, for the one's who are used to living the 5 star life, they are now facing the reality that their lives aren't as invincible as they had thought. They lived in a pretentious sort of lifestyle that they don't know how to deal with "real" problems such as being their for their spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend during the rough and hard times. They are facing the reality that the old struggle they faced which was chosing which designer to buy from days are now gone, but now actually might have to worry about money and where they will end up for the first time in their lives. The talk of killing their kids hopefully is just talk out of fear, but not something they'll actually go through. I don't think things will be so bad for these people to where they end up on the streets but it is possible.

sty

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
they are depressed cos they do not gain from trading the 50 cents a day work of 1 billion working people across the globe..

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
They are nothing but, sick pathetic plastic soulless shells.
I feel sorrier for them than I do some poor kid in Africa.
Because the kid might be starving, but at least he isn't a complete moron.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

the word your looking for is pity - you don`t feel sorry for them , you pity there baseless existance.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Are these women serious? Have they seriously started a support group called "Dating a Banker Anonymous"? So they have lost access to their credit cards, expensive shoes and 5 star restaurants every night and they feel the need to console each other on this? It makes me sick. Take this example:

"One of his best friends told me that my job is now to keep him calm and keep him from dying at the age of 35," Ms Davis said. "It's not what I signed up for."

What the hell? Has the world gone insane? That's what a partner is MEANT to be there for, to support the other through good times and bad. Perhaps I am simply an old timer, someone who believes in the phrase "Through good and through bad until death do us part".

Harriet Pappenheim, a psychotherapist at Park Avenue Relationship Consultants who wrote For Richer Or Poorer, a 2006 book on money in marriage, said the repercussions could be acute for Wall Street wunderkinds who defined their identities through their job titles and the size of their bonuses.

GOOD!!! These people need to learn what life is like for the other 99% of us hard working families. They need a little humility injected into their lives. Embarrassment? I hope so.

"It's a big blow to their egos and to their self-esteem," she said of the endless stream of economic bad news, "and they may take it out on their partners and children."

If they take it out on their partners and children then they deserve to go to jail, not be 'felt sorry for' because they squandered their millions and trod on good hard-working families to get there.

I am sickened by this.

www.smh.com.au

I agree with this.. these women need to move on and live their lives. These men need to do the same, and get over the fact that their job was completely and utterly based on a corrupt system of governing.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I would gladly help them out by letting them do my washing-up for a few pennies.

They wouldn't have to spend silly money on hand cremes to have nice soft hands anymore.

Of course the chain around the ankle might rub a bit....but you CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING!

"Down with all parasites!"

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
LOL

"Dating a Banker Anonymous" support group for these plastic babes

It seems the "Gold Diggers" have run out of gold

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
These specific ladies obviously didn't make the commitment yet or those words "for richer or poorer, in sickness and health" means nothing to them. The name of the group says it all.

However I do think there is a real valid issue behind the nonsense of how the article was presented and that there can be real issues happening specifically to couples married or not in which one party works in finances. For people who work on commission, it's especially difficult and for those who are responsible for actually investing in something for a return, it's twice as stressful. Stress is going to cause many of these men and women to do things they otherwise might not do.. resort to drinking, becoming withdrawn, even suicidal if the trend is true as the media wants us to believe.

If these girlfriends in the article can benefit from their meetings and learn how to support and maybe even detect the signs of severe depression from their boyfriends, and find help, it's not a such a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

OK guys, from all the girls I've dated I've picked up on their language, and this translates to:

"So his friend told me he is broke now, and depressed. There has to be some other guys out there with money still, I may as well go find them while Im still young, hot, and deceptive. Im out of here, I didn't sign up to be with a broke man."

I feel so bad for their loss, now they have to come down off cloud 9 and live with the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

sorry, but this made me laugh....these women are princesses....they appear to have been "taken care of" most of their lives by their own nannies, and probably came from money as well.

Not saying they are unschooled in upper crust society "values"...but heaven forbid...they may have to face the real world and put some of the college mommy and daddy paid for to work for themselves. Use what you learned to take care of yourself/kids...that is of course if they learned more than how to snag another rich man or marry a millionaire.

A group of these ladies, being they are like minded, is not going to bring them out of their depression...they need to motivate one another to stand on their own....not focus on what they lost....but see what they have as possibilities before them, and what they can do ON THEIR OWN.

Let their significant ex's sink...they do not need to go down with the ship!!!

~Holly

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I think there actually having meetings on how to get some of the bail out money. They figure they deserve it more than those peasants.

top topics

join