It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisdom vs. Knowledge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I've just recently posted this little video clip (in another thread) to explain what the difference is between wisdom and knowledge.

So after watching this clip I'd like to ask the people of ATS what WISDOM can they share with the rest of us? Because I'll be honest, after watching that video and finally figuring out what Wisdom really is, I realize I have very little of it. I feel like I've got a little knowledge that I can share... but not any wisdom.

The problem with being a teenager is you *think* you know better than those who have been down that road you're traveling.

- Joe Clark
movie: Lean on Me (1989)

[edit on 29-1-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I came across this surprising nugget of wisdom today and I loved it. Different wisdom than maybe you were looking for, but it was new to me and I loved it.

brandautopsy.typepad.com...

I keep an archive of articles and quotes that I think are wise whether they relate to personal growth, professional growth or just life in general.

But yeah, as far as actually knowing anything, not so much...

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
My little bit of wisdom: Wisdom is simply understanding the knowledge that you have gained and applying it correctly to one's life.

Great thought-provoking post OP!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Measure Twice and Cut Once...

Seems to apply to many life situations...love the video BTW,

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
My little bit of wisdom: Wisdom is simply understanding the knowledge that you have gained and applying it correctly to one's life.

This is why I have very little Wisdom. I can't seem to learn from my mistakes.

Or maybe... I'm not using what I knowlege I have to do what I truly feel I should do. Fear?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
As long as we're tossing them out there, here are some miscellaneous favorites of mine...

"Don't make a permanent decision based on a temporary situation"

"If you use all of your energy worrying what might have been, you won't have any left for what might be."

"True nobility is not found in being superior to others, but in being superior to your former self."

And to your specific philosophical question:

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge."

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029
This is why I have very little Wisdom. I can't seem to learn from my mistakes.

It could be because we are not taught how to properly learn from them. Just speculation here, but I remember when I REALLY started learning from my mistakes.

I forget what it was that I did exactly, but I repeated something that I should not have and I just *sighed as only a woman can* and thought FORGET IT! I seriously was heaping guilt onto my own self and thus setting myself up to repeat the same mistake again.

But it was in that moment.. in that sigh.. it hit me that the more productive thing to do was to quit trying to avoid the mistakes and to just take note of how I reacted to situations rather than trying to control the situations or even the reactions.

So, once I started noting my reactions to things w/out trying to control the reactions and/or heaping guilt on myself for the reactions, before I knew it, I started naturally making better choices that were not made out of guilt, but rather understanding the natural consequences of my actions.

The reactions are more important to be taking note of (without guilt) than the actions.

Just a thought.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by justamomma]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

OH!! I just thought of something that would bring home to you what I last posted.

Just yesterday, I came across your thread about the avatars you didn't like seeing.

Unlike the great love (haha
) that you were shown in that thread, I felt great kinship with you because you took a risk by speaking out about what you feel when seeing those avatars. That is very courageous even though most did not (because they could not due to their own lack of wisdom) acknowledge how you put yourself out there.

The knowledge that you can gain from that is to face the replies in all their glory.. put youself in the shoes of those people no matter how lame some of them came across... don't judge them (as I just did.. with intended purpose though).. just note the reactions and then re-read what you posted and really try to be honest with yourself about how you may have come across to them.

See, I am very much like you. I am blunt and honest and so, often, my lack of wisdom came in not acknowledging that just because other people's opinions about "me" don't bother me and I am one of those that respects the truth in its ugly glory and will take the ugly truths and run with them, it doesn't mean that others are like me and that as annoying as it can be to me how sensitive others can be, I should take note of that sensitivity and respect it; because they are that way for a reason.

So... that is what I started doing. I posted the BLUNT truth for a long time on this board and noted the reactions and then put myself in their shoes and re-read the things I wrote. Somewhere in forcing myself to do this, I learned that what I say has a greater impact on people than I had realized and now I am more cautious in how I word things.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by justamomma]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

OH!! I just thought of something that would bring home to you what I last posted.

Just yesterday, I came across your thread about the avatars you didn't like seeing.

Unlike the great love (haha
) that you were shown in that thread, I felt great kinship with you because you took a risk by speaking out about what you feel when seeing those avatars. That is very courageous even though most did not (because they could not due to their own lack of wisdom) acknowledge how you put yourself out there.

The knowledge that you can gain from that is to face the replies in all their glory.. put youself in the shoes of those people no matter how lame some of them came across... don't judge them (as I just did.. with intended purpose though).. just note the reactions and then re-read what you posted and really try to be honest with yourself about how you may have come across to them.

I don't judge anybody... Trust me on this... I have been humbled to the point that I can look at myself in the mirror and say you have no right to judge anybody... This is the Wisdom that I do think I have... understanding what being Humble is all about.

everybody has their up and down moments.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Didn't have time to click on dat utube vid but I can say I agree whole heartedly, Robin Williams is a good example of Wisdom vs. Knowledge.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I do understand what you are saying. I may however add that everyone has a right to judge. You can not escape doing such. It is just a matter of learning how to judge correctly with great wisdom based on real knowledge that is SO important!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I can only respond with one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite authors-
William Cowper.

"Knowledge is proud that it knows so much; Wisdom is humble that it knows no more"

He also said another quote I use often in the UFO forum:

"Absence of proof is not proof of absence"

Now I will try one on my very own using a music metaphor.

"Rock n' Roll Music is to Knowledge what Classical Music is to Wisdom"

(Anything that's been around over a hundred years must be worth listening to.)

Oh well, great thread. Looking forward to great advice from the truly insightful on this site.

regards...KK

[edit on 29-1-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

I like that one a lot.. have never heard it and glad you shared.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Wow, that is freaky. I just stumbled upon that site today as the author is giving a seminar I plan on attending next month. That is also where I found my new Signature.

brandautopsy.typepad.com...

I know it's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

regards...KK

[edit on 29-1-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Knowledge is packing the car.

Wisdom is getting to where you're going.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

I like that one a lot.. have never heard it and glad you shared.

Thanks. I just made it up.

< Blushing >

regards...KK

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

So far in my life, if I were to offer wisdom I would say three things.

1) Look at my signature.

2) Knowing the answer to a problem does not fix it, it only makes it harder to bear unless you take responsibility.

3) What goes around does actually come around the older you get.

Wisom is walking the path not knowing it.

Maybe that was 4 things then.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I always thought of it like wisdom is the ability to manipulate knowledge. interesting thoughts op.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Im a pro fighter and had many cage fights.

I woud describe it as an argument of physcial expression based on a duel but its a game where we dont play for keeps.

Its all evolved around urgency. not placing too much importnace and overwhealming yourself.

I use my argument of verbal expressions to train my mind. I pick arguments which im dont aim to go to win, just to resolve taking all the urgency and possibly hate expressed on to me.
People recognize man. The appreciation of sorting it out is far far more than the satisfaction of breaking someone. I dont feel a loss after my mood feels better , so i make it a win.

So kindly, Please dont ever allow yourself to be mind #ed though expecially words which instigate a physcial response.

Hold kindly, and be concious of not allowing to manifest urgency each time.

Hope anything helps anyone
take care & Bless

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Came across a little song the other day that made me think of the people on ATS...

enjoy. (I thought this was the best thread to post it in)

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join