It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's 1st openly-gay head of state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

World's 1st openly-gay head of state

www.independent.co.uk

The first government collapse of the global economic crisis is about to yield the world's first openly-gay leader. Johanna Sigurdardottir, a former air hostess, is expected to be sworn in as Iceland's Prime Minister by the end of the week.

Her moment in the international spotlight comes at the most horrendous moment in her nation's recent history. As the global meltdown began, the collapse of Iceland's grossly over-leveraged economy was followed smartly by the implosion of its banks and currency. Now its government has gone the same way, the first to succumb to the backwash from the crisis.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Interesting to see a parallel here to the recent u.s. election. Looks like a financial collapse can open people's minds to consider all candidates, including those that are most often dismissed due to prejudice... or may it's when people think/feel that all is lost, they give up all their pretentious hangups? Either way, these are only superficial improvements... but maybe that is the true intent all along, if you can give your citizenship such a token of progress, then they are less likely to revolt?

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
This is great.

I concur... it's in times like these in which we discover what really matters, and those things which we thought were issues, fade away while real issues force themselves to the forefront of our consciousness...

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Good for them.

True leadership, intellect, and humanity cannot be defined by the color of one's skin, their reproductive organs, what/who they worship, or who they love.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Proof that we are in the end timse. THe rest of the horsemen can't be far behind.

*ahem.*

I mean, good for Iceland, hopefully she can help them out of their economic woes.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
Proof that we are in the end timse. THe rest of the horsemen can't be far behind.

I am sure that there are a lot of people who will honestly feel that way.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

Originally posted by asmeone2

I am sure that there are a lot of people who will honestly feel that way.

Yeah and I'm sure they will come and grace this thread with their presence, eventually.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

or may it's when people think/feel that all is lost, they give up all their pretentious hangups?

I jive with this more than your other suggestions, as well as my own views in relation to this topic...

And I can only hope their present turmoil does not prevent her from creating some positive changes....

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I've wondered about this myself, and I've come to the conclusion that more younger people are feeling empowered and changing the future because the older generation have consistently let them down.

Many gave up voting through feeling disillusioned and detached from it all, but now, they are the ones to inherit the aftermath of this disaster, and so they are using legal means first.

If these new elected officials don't start living up to their promises and make the future better for these younger people, they'd better be prepared to run and hide, they'll have to.

The younger generation now feel that there is nothing their leaders can get away with, and they'll hold them to account.

Older generations feel more attached to their material gains, they have stability, the kids have passion and little to lose.
Most of the kids you see on protest marches have (for the time being at least) found new emphasis and priority in their lives and don't really want for much material gain. They just want to see governments representing and acting for the people, without corruption, without BS, without secrecy and avoidance.

After Bush, the next generation (globally, not only the US) are going to feel more inclined to hold their leaders to account for everything they can, more often.

This is why I think they are not seeming to hold negative minority views or stereotypes, simply because there is a youth movement emerging and their power is being felt in the votes. This modern youth doesn't hold the same prejudices to the same degree as older generations.

That's a part of why I think this is happening anyway, and more power to them.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Thanks for the news. It's so comforting to know in times like these that President Obama has two young daughters.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Fabulous! I can’t wait to attend the celebration party where all those Nordic hunks will be.

But, I can’t help but wonder whether the economic troubles are the catalyst or the excuse. Problem-Reaction-Solution?

link   
I'm thrilled.

I hope she can help her people get through this hard time.

link   
You can't let a woman run your country!! Look what Maggie did to mine...

I feel I've missed the point but still attained political incorrectness...

If she's the best bloke for the job
then thats great, I wonder what the Icelandic press are like, do they have press vultures over there? or are they a bit more dignified - cos that's important in this one.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Sounds like she has her work cut out for her. Her intimate relations are no business of mine nor anyone elses.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Icelanders say:
Please return our Economy to it's original upright position.

She appears to have quite a bit of political experience. From what I've read about her, a lot of people wish she had been at the helm a long time ago.

Does anyone here know much about her?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I bet Björk is happy she used to be bi.

Hopefully she is a good leader and can fix their financial crisis.

Also hopefully this doesn't curse the island like sodom & gomorrah

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'm not surprised that Iceland is the first, considering Icelandic culture. The world could learn a thing or two from them.

Here's hoping she lives up to the grand expectations of her populace.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
This is great.

I concur... it's in times like these in which we discover what really matters, and those things which we thought were issues, fade away while real issues force themselves to the forefront of our consciousness...

Historically in desperate times, desperate people will do desperate things.

In 1933, the Germans put their first vegetarian leader in power, who refused to drink alcohol and banned public smoking. Sounds like a progressive guy, his name was Adolf Hitler.

I'm not comparing Iceland's leader to Hitler, I'm saying people will about do anything when times are bad.

Iceland, the country that reroutes road construction to not offend Elves and Trolls. I want to know did anyone consult the Elves and Trolls?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
update:

Iceland's women blame men for the economic crisis that drove their nation to the verge of collapse. This weekend, they may elect their first female prime minister.

source: www.businessweek.com...

So she's not only the first openly gay president in the world but will also be the first woman president of iceland.

new topics

top topics

join