It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new school prayer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I had this e-mailed to me by a friend today. It is written by a 15 year old boy from Arizona. There is really nothing to argue about here so I am sorry to disappoint those who came here for that purpose. It is just something I thought was interesting and wanted to share with all of you. Amazing that a 15 year old can see so vividly what is happening in this country and we as adults cannot (in general most present company is of course excluded).

BY A 15 yr. Old SCHOOL KID IN ARIZONA :

New Pledge of Allegiance (TOTALLY AWESOME) !

Since the Pledge of Allegiance
And
The Lord's Prayer
Are not allowed in most
Public schools anymore
Because the word 'God' is mentioned....
A kid in Arizona wrote the attached

NEW School prayer :

Now I sit me down in school Where praying is against the rule
For this great nation under God Finds mention of Him very odd.
If Scripture now the class recites, It violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow Becomes a Federal matter now.
Our hair can be purple, orange or green, That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.
The law is specific, the law is precise. Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.
For praying in a public hall Might offend someone with no faith at all.
In silence alone we must meditate, God's name is prohibited by the state.
We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks, And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks..
They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible. To quote the Good Book makes me liable.
We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen, And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.
It's 'inappropriate' to teach right from wrong, We're taught that such 'judgments' do not belong.
We can get our condoms and birth controls, Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed, No word of God must reach this crowd.
It's scary here I must confess, When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
So, Lord, this silent plea I make: Should I be shot; My soul please take! Amen

I find that rather touching. I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum. Although it is religious in nature it is also political so I did not know quite where to post it. I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I did.

[edit on 1/30/2009 by DarrylGalasso]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Church and State are to be separated for a reason.

If you allow one religion to be represented in school, you must allow ALL religions to be represented.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by PieKeeper]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
this is exactly was I was talking about. your post tells it all.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I hope it was actually the kid writing thatunder his own ideas, not his parents using him as a poster child.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If it were written, "One nation, under Allah" then your point of view would be different, and Christians would be in an uproar

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper
Church and State are to be separated for a reason.

If you allow one religion to be represented in school, you must allow ALL religions to be represented.

Star for you! I agree 100 percent and then some.

A public school is not a place for any prayers during class hours. Students are free to gather in the school yard during their lunch hour and pray if they wish, or before or after school and pray if they wish, but during class hours, when you have diverse religious beliefs sitting in one room, NO, there should NOT be ANY prayer type chant or salute whatsoever.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well, I'm not a Christian but I see no problems with stuff like prayers in school, "In God we Trust" on the dollar, and so on. These things are parts of tradition and culture more than they are religion strictly speaking to my mind.

I'm much more peeved at people's endless willingness to get "offended" and nitpick over minor verbal twitches and symbolism like the people who freak out over these issues. Over-sensitive political correctness is more of a threat than some kid praying to me...and I don't even share his faith. My advice to everyone is to LIGHTEN UP and remember there is no innate right "not to be offended." Stop taking words and symbols so seriously, look more at underlying intentions and use common sense. If all else fails, remember that sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you. Ancient playground wisdom the current crop of kids (and their parents) seem to have forgotten.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

"A rose by any other name should smell as sweet" As languages vary and names sometimes do not translate.Be it God,Allah,Jehova or the Creator.The names and faces of the ONE are many.Stupidity is mans problem not God's

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

It does not need tobe elaborated any more than your post, I am OK with things like See You At The Pole, bible studies before class, comparative religion courses, but the school shoudl NOT endorse one specific religion.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alora
If it were written, "One nation, under Allah" then your point of view would be different, and Christians would be in an uproar

The word "Allah" is Aribic for the word "God", just in case you didnt know that.

And Christian Muslums consider their "Allah" the same God as that thought of in typical American Christian belief.

What do you think of that!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

How do you know my point of view would be different?

That is an incorrect assumption; however, you are certainly entitled to believe what you wish.

I did not start this thread to start arguments or any thing remotely close. I just got this e-mailed and wanted to share it with the rest of you folks as I found it quite interesting.

I apologize that it wasn't what you had hoped to see.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
If this kid that supposedly wrote this does exist, he obviously has no knowledge of U.S. schools. The pledge of allegiance and the Lord's prayer are allowed in every U.S. public school among students. The Pledge of Allegiance is still said, but it is not mandatory in most schools (and I bet it is mandatory in some still). Show me where students are not allowed to pray to their God in school, I have never heard of not allowing such. The only thing is school faculty are not supposed to enforce their religion on the students. And religion should not interfere with anyone else's rights.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by RFBurns

It does not need tobe elaborated any more than your post, I am OK with things like See You At The Pole, bible studies before class, comparative religion courses, but the school shoudl NOT endorse one specific religion.

Agreed. No public school should endores any religion at all. To allow for those "meet me at the pole" and prayer groups before and after school is not endorsing any religion because that allowance would apply to any and all religious beliefs. It is a neutral prospective of the school to honor the right to the freedom of religion. But they do stipulate that those gatherings only can occur before classes, during lunch hour, or after school.

Here is a hypothetical scenario..to get ideas of where people stand.

ABC school allows for prayer groups, of any religion, to gather before classes, during lunch hour, and after school hours. In one section of the school grounds, you have Christians standing around the flag pole holding hands saying a prayer.

In the opposite end of the school grounds, you got a group of American Muslims kneeled down on their prayer cloths and praising Allah.

In another corner you have Buddah bunch, the other corner you got the athiests, and another corner with Catholics.

Would anyone have a problem with what is going on in that scenario?

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 29-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

Like I said this really sounds like something that the parents "helped" the kid write, to use him to further their own agenda.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

It has been a long time since I have been in public school, but I beleive SYATP is supposed to be inclusive of all religions. It's just that there really aren't a lot of other faiths represented, at least at the schools I attended.

Some people might have a problem with your scenario. I will give you a personal example that I am now embarassed about of course.

When I was in grade school I had a Muslim classmate. She was at the age where she was beginning to wear her headscarf, and she was getting teased a lot so the teacher invited her and her father to talk to the class a little bit and explain why she wore it.

Later on my mom found out about this. With the teacher's support, and some of the other parents, she prepared a presentation about Christianity and brought it to the classroom. She read a lot of scripture to the kids, had them make those bracelets with the colored beads that are supposed to represent the Crucifix, and at the end gave them a chance to convert.

Highly insulting IMO that she would use one student's explanation of her culture as a chance to prosetalyze, but even worse that she had the teacher and classroom moms behind her. They should have said no, this is inappropriate.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Yep, right there is a violation of the seperation of church and state and the school employee participating in basically force feeding another religious belief onto others.

Its really sad that in a country where everyone wants the freedom to choose to worship as they wish, that so many of those same folks wont allow others to practice their right to do the same, and try to 'convert' those to another belief.

If that isnt spitting upon the Bill of Rights and the Constitution..I dont know what is.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Yeah agreed, at the time it didnt' bother me because she was my mom and I was only in 3rd grade, too young to know any better.

What bothers me now, though is that she had the staff's support in doing it.

And this was long before 9/11, I should add.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Well when I was in grade school that was just before Kennedy's term in office! (Ouch I didnt just admit my age did I??!!
)

I dont remember any occurance where there was such movement to convert anyone from one religion to another back then. I do remember the diverse religious beliefs of the students. Sure most of them were Christian, but there were plenty of Muslim and Catholic and Buddah religions as well. And of course the Athiests too.

But I dont remember anyone having any problem with it at all. It wasnt anything that was on the radar screen so to speak. Everyone got along quite well, did our school work, and couldnt wait to get home at the end of the day to go rock skipping on the lake or go play army men in the park or ride around on our bikes looking for frogs or turtles or something.

Man..where did those days go. (ponders at a simpler time)

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I know many Christians her age who are just so insecure.

I think many of them never really beleived the religion, then just were attrackted to it because it made everything look black and white, and made life seem simpler. So everyone that is "converted" and every time they are "persecuted" it is another sign that they are right.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

The word "Allah" is Aribic for the word "God", just in case you didnt know that.

And Christian Muslums consider their "Allah" the same God as that thought of in typical American Christian belief.

What do you think of that!

Cheers!!!!

Allah to a Muslim is different than God to a Christian if I am not mistaken.

Jesus Christ is god to the Christian faith (is this totally correct?)

Muslims believe Jesus is only a prophet I believe.

EDIT: btw - what is a Christian Muslim? - or am i missing something?

[edit on 29-1-2009 by XTC_savedmyLife]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join