It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeremiah Johnson, can survivalists learn something from this movie.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I just watched this again, for the first time in about 30 years. The last half is about his travails with the natives but the first half seemed like there were nuggets of info for those that would live in that terrain.

There are discepancies. Like the "Grizz" in this movie is actually a brown bear but the rest seems interesting. I don't come to this forum often but watching this made me feel like posting this. If it helps, cool. If I'm FOS, sorry.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I loved that movie and I think yes you can learn from it.
I learned to heat up rocks for heat and to not underestimate the climate.
Also,to not think you are all that and its no big deal.
Remember the old man and the rocks scene??

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Great movie! I can't add much here yet, as I haven't seen it for probably 30ish years either. I think I will get it this weekend - good preparation vid for our upcoming events!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

yes there several useful tidbits to be learned,altho some are just pointers as to what to avoid,Intrepid; the fire bed does work and will keep you nice and warm. Pine trees also can help with warmth, for they radiate heat.

oh, by the way, grizzlies are a part of the brown bear family.

adaptability and willingness to learn are good points,too.

seeker

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I personally love this movie, and think that some skills can be gleaned from it. The scene where he shoots the Elk, "An elk dont know how many legs a horse has", making the fire under the pine only to be covered in snow, jumping into a river to try and fish while the wise old native obviously knew how to make a fish trap. Stuff like that, oh, and not leading an expidition team through an indian burial ground, bad stuff there.

Two errors I found in the movie. One, when he takes Kalib out trapping and tells him if he doesnt put the "stink" down, the beaver wont come around. Kalib then pours the lure into the water. That wont accomplish anything. Also, the traps he used were marked on the pan with a "V", signaling they were Victor brand traps. Which actually didnt exist in the timeframe this movie is refering too. Likely would have been Newhouse.

Great movie, I reccommed to anyone with an extra couple of hours to kill.

top topics

join