It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.B. school stops playing 'O Canada' over complaints

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

N.B. school stops playing 'O Canada' over complaints

www.ctv.ca

A New Brunswick mother is fighting back against her daughter's elementary school after learning the school has silenced the daily singing of O Canada.

Susan Boyd has a daughter at Belleisle Elementary in Springfield, N.B. and only learned recently that the school stopped singing the national anthem in Sept. 2007.

Her nephew, Pte. David Greenslade, was killed two years ago while serving in Afghanistan, and Boyd says she hurt her daughter can't sing the anthem out of respect.

The principal of the school, Erik Millett, told New Brunswick newspaper the Telegraph-Journal, that two families had an issue with the singing of the anthem.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The article states that it it within the purview of any school to decide to play the anthem or not. They also don't state what the complaints were. This is unacceptable imo. The national anthem is a part of every persons life, no matter what country you are from or in.

AND there are exceptions. As a kid I remember that Jehovah's Witnesses were excused from standing for the anthem as it was contrary to their religious beliefs. So what's so wrong now?

www.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

how many countries actuily sing the national anthem at the start of the school day or week?

does it really matter in the end

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
how many countries actuily sing the national anthem at the start of the school day or week?

does it really matter in the end

All of them did in my day. What is wrong with that?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The less Nationalism & Patriotism in the world, the better off we all are. Kudo's to the school.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

I totally agree.

And really...daily? Wow. Here in europe I can't name one country that sings the anthem even on a yearly basis
. But you north Americans seem to love yourselves a lot.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by broli
But you north Americans seem to love yourselves a lot.

I can only speak for one of the 3 countries in North America but Canada has plenty to be proud of and promoting that to our kids shouldn't be a problem. I don't see why some think it is? I don't know where you're all posting from but don't you have pride in your nation? Don't you want your kids to as well?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Um... my school doesn't sing the anthem everyday, but we do say the pledge everyday.
And for about two years after 9/11, we DID sing the anthem everyday, or God Bless America or any of those, I think they rotated.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I'm posting from British Columbia. Born and raised here, and I plan to raise my children here as well.

However, no. I have absolutely no pride in my nation, i am disgusted and appalled by it on a daily basis. I have my reasons,very good reasons, and will leave my children to decide for themselves if they feel the same.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Because two parents complained? Thats all it takes now? So if two people go to that school happen to be Jewish and demand only Kosher foods because thats how they believe the school will bow to their whims as well?

Notice that whenever something like this happens, it is always to appease a very small minority and generally the attacks are something patriotic about a country?

Then again, maybe the parents dont want their kids learning it because of the potential of the NAU. That would actually make sense, why have them learn two songs?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Canadian here! (Ottawa too)

Good riddance. Anthems are frankly a waste of time. I would be fine with anthems if we could have sat down to listen to them (like the announcements, which are more important, imho). I read some of the comments on the Yahoo article about it, and a lot of those Canadians sounded like over-patriotic Americans. Those same people will laugh at how (some) Americans act.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I always found standing for the national anthem at the start of every school day a huge annoyance, and probably unnecessary as an every day thing.

But the fact that its played every day in most schools in this country is probably why you'd be hard pressed to find a Canadian who dosn't know every single word to O Canada, along with at least one alternate version.

"O Can Of Beans, Baloney and Sardines. Who blew a fart, and blew the world apart?"

Ahh, elementary school

I'm interested in knowing what the complaints were - immigrant children offended by the anthem?

Meh, as far as amthems go, O Canada isn't so great. I'm much more partial to Ode To Newfoundland. Seriously, it's beautiful.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

But you north Americans seem to love yourselves a lot.

I can only speak for one of the 3 countries in North America

We had a similar issue here in the States children no longer recite the pledge of allegiance at the beginning of the school day

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.

I'm posting from British Columbia. Born and raised here, and I plan to raise my children here as well.

However, no. I have absolutely no pride in my nation, i am disgusted and appalled by it on a daily basis. I have my reasons,very good reasons, and will leave my children to decide for themselves if they feel the same.

Just to sound overly American...If you don't like here, then GET OUT! If you have no pride and are overly appalled, then leave, find some place better to live. There are many nations around the world to choose from, pick one. I don't care what your reasons are, and they cant be that great, if you stay.

I think the anthem while maybe not sung, should at least be played every morning. Show some respect to your country for christ sakes. 2 minutes of your time will not kill you. The people who don't want the anthem are probably the same idiots that cant take 5 minutes of their day to shut their yaps and take their hats of on November 11.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I remember singing it every Monday morning at assemblies for about half of my elementary school years. At some point it just stopped. I'm not sure if they're still doing it anymore. Do Americans sing the national anthem regularly at school? I'm fairly certain they still do the pledge of allegiance. Do they do it in high school, or is it mostly just a grade school thing?

I do remember though that the singing was rather pathetic. It was often quiet and people were embarrassed to sing it... That could just be because I'm from the West coast, and we don't really have any sort of national culture back here. You could probably say we're just not integrated yet. Our case probably best resembles that of the disposition of the American wild west, where we are more unified by our common experiences, our differences, and most of all our rugged individualism, as opposed to the romanticized notion of the existence of some distant, far off and age old national traditions.

Originally posted by Rook1545
Just to sound overly American...If you don't like here, then GET OUT! If you have no pride and are overly appalled, then leave, find some place better to live. There are many nations around the world to choose from, pick one. I don't care what your reasons are, and they cant be that great, if you stay.

The country is still great. I think the problem is that there isn't a nation in the first place. The people that claim to be part of some greater nation are viewed as nut cases. We rarely talk about "Canada" as if it were some supergeographical entity. Canada to us is primarily a physical location, and not in any sense a metaphysical one, as opposed to what is best exemplified in America as "manifest destiny". That said, we do bond to a great extent over things such as our national sports teams, our multiculturalism, the Olympics (whenever it comes around) and we take pride in the beauty of our natural landscape, our clean cities, and our extremely liberal laws and freedoms. It's an amazing place to grow up, even though you are kind of left without a sense of belonging or defined identity. Then again, you get to create your own world and I feel for certain people growing up with that sense of raw individualism is great, something you just can't experience in the ultra-national countries of the world.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by cognoscente]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

reply to post by D.E.M.

I totally agree.

And really...daily? Wow. Here in europe I can't name one country that sings the anthem even on a yearly basis

How does singing you're national anthem equate to "loving yourself a lot"?

Its called having pride in your country and its traditions. I wouldnt give a crap if anyone was offended by the Australian National Anthem, its ours and represents of country. And if they didnt like it, there are plenty more school (and countrys in fact) they could go to if it was really such an issue.

I remember we had a story on TV not long ago where a muslim school banned the singing of the Australian National Anthem. I was glad to here that we had foreigners in the country that embraced the national anthem, but it was a shame that there were complaints that it offended a minority of people.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

nothing, i just dont see the need
never did in my primary or secondry school years,

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

reply to post by D.E.M.

I totally agree.

How does singing you're national anthem equate to "loving yourself a lot"?

Its called having pride in your country and its traditions. I wouldnt give a crap if anyone was offended by the Australian National Anthem, its ours and represents of country. And if they didnt like it, there are plenty more school (and countrys in fact) they could go to if it was really such an issue.

I remember we had a story on TV not long ago where a muslim school banned the singing of the Australian National Anthem. I was glad to here that we had foreigners in the country that embraced the national anthem, but it was a shame that there were complaints that it offended a minority of people.

Oz,

I may not agree with you about chemtrails but agree with you here.

You should be patriotic and have pride for the country you live in. We all live in places where people are given the opportunity to live pretty good lives and most do. Spending a couple of minutes in the morning to pay respects to the people that came before you is not too much to ask.
Many of those people made great sacrifices for their country that some people apparently take for granted.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
I may not agree with you about chemtrails but agree with you here.

Lol, are you as shocked as I am,

But yeah, you said excatly what I was thinking. I am proud of our flag and national anthem (and waltzing matilda, our unofficial national anthem), and I have nothing but pride for this country whenever I hear it.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
Show some respect to your country for christ sakes.

Respect is earned. Being born within land borders that do not exist beyond maps doesn't make you obligated to show unconditional respect and allegiance to the government of the land borders you were born within.

What respect has my government shown me? What is your idea of "respect"?

My government interferes with my ability to receive a quality education that my forced income tax pays for. My government can seize my land, my home, my car, and all of my belongings when it pleases. My government can hold me without trial and without access to a lawyer. My government can monitor my communications and search my personal information whenever it deems doing so necessary.

My government has long since allowed the purchase and censorship of free media. My government can take away my right to weapons and to free speech. My government has made my vote - my most powerful form of non-violent revolution - meaningless for it's own selfish interests.

I should respect this? I should stand up, hold my hand on my heart, and pledge allegiance to this? I should proudly sing a national anthem that is nothing more than a salute to those that achieve their own ends through violent force?

Your allegiance to the flag of a country that has done nothing to deserve the respect of it's people is no more upstanding and honorable than a Hitler salute.

Save your "get out of my country" nonsense. The arrogant, ignorant American tone is over-used and out-of-date and only is an example of just how indoctrinated Americans truly are.

As for the news article, although I do not live in Canada, I have no issue with this at all. It should be done in the United States as well. Saying the pledge of allegiance or singing the national anthem in schools is nothing more than a form of indoctrination.

Schools are where children, who don't know any better, are brainwashed and conditioned to be mindless slaves for a corporation. The pledge of allegiance and national anthem are just further forms of control and enslavement.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join