It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No alcohol' urged for under-15s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

No alcohol' urged for under-15s

news.bbc.co.uk

"There is serious harm that can come to children if they drink and the main advice is that childhood should be an alcohol-free time. Certainly under the age of 15 there are serious risks."

The advice is the first on children and alcohol produced by the government, but it is understood there is no intention to back it with legislation. The public will be asked its views during a three month consultation period.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
So what do you all think. I'm sure most of you adult posters hear drunk alcohol under the age of 15, are you not living proof this is utter nonsense.

The article claims they do not intend to make it legislation, but all they need to do is bung up some 'serious benefits' from not dirnking under 15, throw that onto osme parents who agree with it, and you could have a law somewhere down the line.

It just sounds like fear mongering to me, they say we shouldn't be introduced to alcohol so early. I say you wait until the age of 18 when suddenly we can buy alcohol legally, and because we have been denied it for so long, THAT will cause the binge drinking. Whereas, having been dirnking for years by the time you reach 18, it is nothing special, you may well just continue as you already do.

Do discuss fellow ATS'ers...it seems most of us dodged the "serious harm" even though we drank under the age of 15.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Alcohol is not a good thing for kids, that is for sure. Just as junk food but for $ome rea$on$ ,it will never be banned.
So pluses from this law - more fines into government pocket.
Minuses - more kids will drink alcohol since it will be forbidden by stupid annoying adults , adding to its "coolness" and "forbidden fruit" values.
There should be a law saying no books under 18. Imagine how literacy will rise!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I've never been fond of drinking alcohol, no matter the occasion or substance. I mean one of its applications is fuel for combustion, hardly a thing that should be ingested. Not to mention cigarettes, given nicotine's addictiveness. Yet Cannabis is illegal, I digress though.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I must say, since I have had alcohol since about 10, with supervision until I was about 15; I find it so strange when other friends seem to get all 'jumpy' and excited because they have been able to get some alcohol from a shop. I just think "So what, theres a tonne of beer downstairs, if I really wanted one nobody is going to stop me."

Alowing early drinking has completely stopped alcohol from being anything special to me. (In the sense, that I wont suddenly down a whole bottle of vodka because I managed to obtain one.)

[edit on 29-1-2009 by StevenDye]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I mean, my parents have let me sip like, an eighth of a glass of wine for religious purposes or just at nice dinners since I was about 10. But, I did not start recreationally drinking until this past summer (18) and I made myself really, really sick.

I don't think my parents should have had to pay for my medical expenses if I had gotten alcohol poisoning, and I almost did.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

At first I was thinking that children shouldn't be drinking. I drank when I was about 10 also because it was big in my house. Alcohol played a part in taking my parents away from the large family for a weekend; giving them a break as we grew up. I drank when I was a teenager whenever I could get it, it didn't stop me...

But, thinking about European families that drink wine with meals and their children starting to get the benefits of wine at an early age. Wine drinkers tend not to turn into problem drinkers from what I see..

Your last post adjusted my thinking.... but I still think that alcohol is really bad the way we drink it in our society and that we should learn to use those plants that nature has provided for our spiritual as well mental health.

Rgds

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
21 in America...apparently they took the news a bit too hard...

Frankly, if your an alcoholic by 15-17, then thats pretty ridiculous. Otherwise, whats the big deal? A few drinks is ok when your young. There are bigger issues goin' on now and time can be spent on something far more important then worrying about 15 year olds drinking. When you were that young, you probably were barely drinking beer and drinking sweet, barely alcoholic drinks. Nobody was chugging jack d or scotch down back then.

At least its not Meth. or Crack. or Heroine. Its alcohol, get over it.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye

Alowing early drinking has completely stopped alcohol from being anything special to me. (In the sense, that I wont suddenly down a whole bottle of vodka because I managed to obtain one.)

Exactly. I started drinking with my friends in 7th grade or so, or about 13 years of age. Back then we would have a few beers and be completely wasted, so there was no need to abuse the stuff. I guess I sort of grew into it, and I've been drinking responsibly ever since. I don't drink every night, I don't drink and drive, and I don't ever go beyond my limit.

I have friends in college with bloody ulcers, because they drink themselves stupid every night on $5 bottles of off-brand rum, all because they never got used to drinking responsibly as a young adult.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I mean, my parents have let me sip like, an eighth of a glass of wine for religious purposes or just at nice dinners since I was about 10. But, I did not start recreationally drinking until this past summer (18) and I made myself really, really sick.

I don't think my parents should have had to pay for my medical expenses if I had gotten alcohol poisoning, and I almost did.

Good thing they didnt try to get you to light up at the same time eh? Then those medical bills would be really expensive.

My dad let me take a sip of his Olympia beer on occaision, and I remember it tasted quite good! It was not a regular routine, once in a great while. But here I am a grandfather times 5 and Im doing just fine and my kids and their kids are healty as healty can be, so the sips of beer when I was very young had no effect on me or my offspring and grandkids whatsoever.

More MSM CDC mind manipulation is what it is. And why shouldnt the government take advantage of easily gullable people to reach their ultimate goal...called control.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
My experience is that it doesn't matter at what age you take your first drink- In the UK the actual legal age is over 5 ( with the necessary legal table license and so long as an adult purchases it ) Not many people know that!!!

I know people who were brought up in both 'liberal' and 'strict' homes when it came to booze, there is no pattern as to who developed issues around it.

It's not about age, it's about the person

Just my opinion

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I must say, since I have had alcohol since about 10, with supervision until I was about 15; I find it so strange when other friends seem to get all 'jumpy' and excited because they have been able to get some alcohol from a shop. I just think "So what, theres a tonne of beer downstairs, if I really wanted one nobody is going to stop me."

same thing goes with sex/nudity.

in the pre-internet era...

in europe .. it's on the tv and you can see it on the street.

in the US, it's nowhere to be seen unless you pay for it.

the more you deprive an asset, the more it's desired.. supply and demand.
make something taboo and it's completely indulged in.. and hence mass profits.

like you say.. when you're used to it.. it's no big deal.. and nobody can depend on you to pay tons of money for it all of the time.

if you're built up to a boiling point in anticipation of being "allowed" to have it.. ie: age 21 in states...
then you go beserk when you finally "can"..

it's brainwashing retardedness.

we've got college kids so interested in beer, they wouldn't know a nuclear stockpile if it was in their back yard.

-

top topics

join