It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The true cost of smoking

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
hahahaha. you can try all you want but we are a resourceful people. guess what? people are born, and people die. it is the great unifier, the one thing we all have in common.

I love NC. I was in vegas and I would just get the dirtiest looks, then some one else would walk by with a cigar that smelled like burnt feet, and nothing. no glace. no glare, no, 'hi, can I talk to you about the dangers' bull

guess what? we know! we know its not good for you! this is not something we found out yesterday, but knew long before we ever crushed our first softpack.

If a person is lying in bed dying from second hand, I postulate it is their fault for jock ridding smokers so closely. if someone walks by you on the sidewalk smoking, hey, tell them how you feel. thats your right as an American.

how much second hand does it take to get sick?!? I have inhaled close to three tons worth of first hand and im doing ok so far. I can even run a mile in less than 9 minutes, which is better than most non smokers nowadays.

when Im dying, on my death bed, I will receive total conciseness. so i got that going for me, Which is nice.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

SEE THE POST ABOVE YOURS! This is typical behavior, but you sound like the real "polite" smoker. Congrats.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

Perhaps people who have habits that contribute to additional health related issues should have to pay more for their insurance.

But most people, I think, would just lie on the forms.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

Yeah, they can move out the way if I'm already in an area that i got to first. I mean seriously, i pick places where noone even wants to stand around, if someone goes out of their way to come stand next to me, well, that's not something under my control!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

How about, you can go and eat at McDonalds, but only YOU will have medical problems from that in excess.

If you smoke, more people than just yourself may have medical problems that will have to go through insurance and all that.

My mom has asthma and even though she takes meds, if someone is smoking near her on the street, she will have an asthma attack.

As I also said in another thread, if you smoke in your apartment but a young child is in the apartment next to yours, that's not okay. It's really not okay.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

I live downtown.
I never said I went to fast food restaraunts.
I see it all day long from fatkids at a pizza pizza to office people walking around with bags of it from mickeydees to wendys and harveys.
Whats worse is most are fat already.
Maybe if they smoked they could lose some weight!!!
Its the same evil is it not??
One makes you fat the other gives you other sicknesses...they both make you unhealthy.
The argument about smokers is weak unless you look at the rest of society and judge it in an unbiased fashion.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Honey, I couldn't agree with you more, but you can speak to them all you like. They want to smoke, they like smoking and they will keep doing it because non-smokers are the villains for complaining.

I am all for smoking if they do it in a special little smokers room and they can smoke till their little lungs turn to tar and it wouldn't bug me. A smoking friend of mine refuses to go into those smoking rooms they have at certain airports, she says it stinks to much.

In closing how can you argue with smokers when research shows they are more likely to be under educated and to earn less income, as they say never argue with an .... ( fill in unpleasant epithet) , they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
I don't really care if you smoke or not.

It's your right.

But I shouldn't have to pay for your health care.

Let's be fair. It's your choice to smoke. It should be my choice to not have to pay for your habit.

That right there is the reason why socialized health care becomes a politician's plaything for legislating freedoms away.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

But all people have to do is say something if they don't like it. Most smokers I know are never rude to people that politlyey ask them to move. My friend has asthma and I purposely don't smoke near him.

Yes there are those unpleasant smokers but they are in the minority.

Come on has a kid ever gotten lung cancer because someone was smoking in the apartment next to them?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Wertdagf

Get me some statistics on the health care costs of smog and I might agree.

It's rather interesting... There have been virtually no studies funded to determine the effects of inhaling "second hand exhaust."

Gee. I wonder if the Oil and Car-Maker lobbies have anything to do with that fact....

Seriously, statistics are very hard to come by, but given the fact that we get ill in heavy concentrations, one might presume that low-level long term exposure cannot be good.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

hahaha That was a real educated thing to say.

I'm stupid cuz I smoke. Sorry everyone! The smoke blocking my brain activity doesn't allow my to have full thinking capacity!

Yes us smokers are stupid, vile, and completely ignorant.

WE ALL DIE.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I didn't say they were all stupid etc, you did. As a smoker maybe you can vouch for your statement. However I was quoting research , if you want to disprove research find me the research that goes counter the findings I mentioned.

Here is a simple test for smokers on fair behavior- why is there no smoker on any thread on smoking that admits that second and third hand smoking is a problem? I am guessing because smokers really don't care about us and our rights?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Ok post a link where it says smokers are less educated please.

I just assume second hand smoke is not that harmful because my parents and grandparents are still alive. Alot of people smoked, and it was indoors about 20 years ago.

Were all still here. Second hand smoke can't be that harmful.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Practically everything is harmful to us these days. Unless you can afford to grow all your own food, have your own water supply and your own air, and still have enough time to exercise daily, then perhaps you will live a little longer than other people, but no guarantees right?

[edit on 29-1-2009 by cancerian42]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris

Here is a simple test for smokers on fair behavior- why is there no smoker on any thread on smoking that admits that second and third hand smoking is a problem? I am guessing because smokers really don't care about us and our rights?

Um... Mainly because of the studies that have been done, there are LOTS of questions about sponsors, methodology, factoring and interpretation of results.

No study has been seen as unaffected by such issues. So a failure to "admit" something that is dubious has nothing to do with a disregard for "us" and "our" rights.

But as a smoker, I will say for sure that I make every effort to keep smoke away from those who do not smoke...because I care about their comfort. As for their "rights..." They surely have a right not to enter my space when I am smoking, and to leave to whatever distance makes them feel safe if they feel "threatened."

As I said, I will only light up when I am outdoors or in my own residence. Out of courtesy.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

All the non smokers appreciate a polite smoker. So thank you for choosing to be such a polite person.

The main point of this post was not the manners of smokers but rather the true cost of smoking. Just as you don't want to inflict the smell and other bad effects of second had smoke on non-smokers, in the same vain you shouldn't want to pass along the additional health care costs associated with smoking.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Man i hear something every month about whats DEADLY for you... ive heard that potato-chips may cause cancer. I've heard that eggs may cause cancer. Seems like no matter what you are exposed to, it has a chance of causing bad stuff to you.

But let people do what they want. We all wanna have the freedom to do the things we most please.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

You have the freedom to do what you want.

I shouldn't have to pay for your choice to smoke.

That's my opinion.

If you want to smoke then pay the true cost, don't expect me to subsidize your habit.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

By the time my mom even smells smoke, she gets an attack, and often it's too late to say "hey, could you please stop?"

And if a neighbor with small children asked a smoker neighbor to please stop, chances are that they won't, because it's their own home.

It's really not as easy as just asking. And did you know that secondhand smoke has been proven to travel on clothes, creating thirdhand smoke? I'm not kidding. Those fumes are super bad for you.

If I walked around with like, formaldehyde jars open all the time, and ran a morgue in my apartment, people would ask me to stop. And I would. Because that's the right thing to do.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

reply to post by Amaterasu

All the non smokers appreciate a polite smoker. So thank you for choosing to be such a polite person.

The main point of this post was not the manners of smokers but rather the true cost of smoking. Just as you don't want to inflict the smell and other bad effects of second had smoke on non-smokers, in the same vain you shouldn't want to pass along the additional health care costs associated with smoking.

I grasp your point, but ask... How will we determine that the bad effects are from smoking, from breathing in vehicle exhaust, or any other of the myriad things that could cause issues?

Along with that, there are many smokers who are in their 80's and 90's. If they get ill, can we say it was the smoking? Or just aging?

How will you tell what is the cause of the illness?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join