It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Banned in Homes-California Adopts 'Hitler's Policy'

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Sheesh, RF, you start handing out free diapers and you'll be buying them by the truckload for these folks. They'll learn to mess them faster, just because it will become their 'right' to do so.

I agree that we should have NEVER given up restaurants. There should have been protests in the streets every time someone even mentioned making a restaurant smoke-free. There would be a lot less people today whining about a molecule of nicotine destroying their life, because they would have had to do what every other human has had to do since the dawn of time... just accept some things and move on.

But, bygones are bygones. I just hope we have finally learned our lesson and stand up in force the next time an anti-smoking activist opens their trap.

I know I have, and I will.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Sheesh, RF, you start handing out free diapers and you'll be buying them by the truckload for these folks. They'll learn to mess them faster, just because it will become their 'right' to do so.

TheRedneck

Well they got two choices...they can use them for the obvious intended purpose...or if they continue to complain about smokers, they can use them as breathing masks.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
But, bygones are bygones. I just hope we have finally learned our lesson and stand up in force the next time an anti-smoking activist opens their trap.

I learned that lesson a long time ago. We allowed this problem to start...that's our own fault. We condoned irrational behavior by attempting to be nice. Apparently being nice NEVER works.

However, if they try and take away my cigarettes while I smoke them in my own home, they will not be getting such a nice response. I say every smoker get in their car and drive to DC. We'll clog the roadways, putting around at under 5 miles an hour.

So much more effective than a march.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

I actually suggested the truckers do this back when the fuel prices were killing everybody. Nobody go out of their way, just all trucks that go around DC keep going around DC. Soon the Circle Jerk (trucker for the I495 loop) will be filled with nothing but trucks and they can all just slow to a crawl and stop, so close together that they can't be towed, and everyone get out and walk away until someone in the government takes notice. I promise you, it wouldn't have taken long.

No National Security problems, because the non-interstate routes would still be open. No driving out of route. But plenty of notice...

RFBurns: just make sure to inform them they have to protect the environment by using them for gas masks after they have used them for.... er... you know what I mean.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I felt the same way, my father is a truck driver and he told me how truckers did this once before over, I think, the same issue.

It's definitely more effective than marching somewhere. It would definitely get more notice than just a bunch of people marching.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son Of Liberty

If I go to someone's house and they're a smoker, it is their right to smoke and my right to not go to their house if I don't like the smell.

It is NOBODY'S right to take away THEIR right.

If that makes sense.

wellllll aaaaaaactually....

what if your body isn't really "yours"?
and you have no real "rights" to it whatsoever?

what if it's merely one "product" in a massive planet-wide genetic experiment, and you are property of your inventor, and "smoking" and "cigarette smoke" is causing a major issue with the experiment, causing negative impact, and needs to be eliminated from the equation.... especially during this sensitive time of metamorphosis.

so people are being told not to smoke.
even in their own homes.

but then again.. you wouldn't believe that even if it were true... now would you....

-

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Interesting. And in the finest tradition of ATS.

In that case, here's to "negatively impacting" the experiment.

*Lights up another smoke and goes to fix herself a mudslide.*

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revealation

How come state/feds aren't complaining/outlawing factories that pump out their toxic plumes of smoke into the air daily, or about the poisons put into our food or chemicals in our water, none of which we willingly asked for,want or accept. Yet it's still done and nobody is held accountable.

Man you are right. The lawmakers need to look at industrial pollution, and have a good sample or two of what is being pumped into our rivers. Co2 emissions is something I'd really be concerned with.

Why oh why do these people focus on "smoking in the home" when they should be focussing on the pollution that is s l o w l y killing the planet?

I am a little more concerned with the future of our planet (we are killing her afterall) than whether someone can light up in their own home.

The day I can't spark up in my own home, is the day I will leave my country, and admit defeat.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
i agree with smoking being banned in apartments, condos or any kind of housing that has to share the same ventilation with other non smoker units. alternatively the landlord should have to make sure that each unit has separate ventilation (ie do not stack 10 furnaces in the same room where you can cross contaminate all apartments with smoke from one apartment).

i'm a non smoker and i do my best to stay away from smokers but if i would have to share the same ventilation with a smoker i'd probably move out or find laws to force the smoker stop doing it in the apartment or the landlord to buy expensive merv 14-16 furnace filters.

oh and talking about taxes - why not make a pack $40 just like some other thread says. this will add taxes and make the smokers "enjoy responsibly"

smokers have rights as long as they do not cause harm to others and clean air for all is a right too.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSecret

If you made the cigarettes $40 a pack, there would be uproar. There was something not too long ago in Florida where they wanted to charge $9-10 instead of $3-4 and there was a protest number. They were backed up with calls for a week.

As far as condos go: most of the time you own the condo you're living in. Non-smokers are NEVER going to be able to control what I do in a space that I own.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I can totally understand why smoking hasn't been banned outright despite all medical evidence. 17 pages and smokers are still crying hysterically about their rights. It would be WWIII if smoking was banned.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

clean air for all is a right too

Can I get a source on that? I mean, freedom of religion is a right...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
Freedom of speech is a right...

...or abridging the freedom of speech
Freedom of the press is a right...

...or of the press
Freedom of assembly is a right...

...or the right of the people peaceably to assemble
Freedom of redress is a right...

...and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Freedom to keep and bear arms is a right...

...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Freedom from improper search and seizure is a right...

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated...
Source: www.usconstitution.net...

Now exactly where is our right to clean air enumerated? And when you find that, I would like to see where sulfur dioxide, hydrochloride, soot and other industrial wastes and automobile emissions are excluded form this right. Oh, yeah, would be nice to see who is responsible for providing this clean air, and exactly why they are forced to provide for you.

Personally, I think we should fire them. They're not performing very well.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

17 pages and smokers are still crying hysterically

and you, my dear, are still claiming you are all for freedom while demanding it be removed. And starting new threads about how to remove it s well:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hypocrisy? Nah, not from Hier Mynaeris...

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You found a 2004 thread? Thats hardly a "new thread" .If not energetic at least industrious. I am flattered you care that much. Maybe smoking hampers the eyesight - I should start a thread about that.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by Mynaeris]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Smokers are not "crying hysterically", we are demanding that we get the rights that we do have as opposed to non-smokers whining about rights they don't. We should be able to do what we want in our own homes.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

Ah, good show! You caught me in a snafu.

That thread was bumped by by another poster, and seeing I have been besieged this weekend by people screaming everything from denying health care to smokers to increasing prices on tobacco outrageously to somehow 'punish' me to outright making me a criminal by outlawing a fairly harmless habit I happen to enjoy, yeah, I made an assumption. An incorrect assumption.

You see? This is how one admits that they are wrong. Take a lesson.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
As far as condos go: most of the time you own the condo you're living in. Non-smokers are NEVER going to be able to control what I do in a space that I own.

as i said, IMO you can smoke in your own space as long as you're not sharing the ventilation system with others or your furnace and everyone else's has special filtration systems that prevent smoke to enter someone else's dwelling.

so if you own your condo or house and have a separate basement you should be ok. of course if you have minor children in your care you should be banned from smoking or have to pay extra for their astma and other disease care. although i do think a parent smoking around their kids is child abuse and should be handled as such... just like leaving your child in a hot car in summer or feeding him rotten food, beating or other cruelty like that.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Now that's crazy. My parents smoked when my brother and I were kids, neither of us have asthma. In fact, there are a lot of children who were around smoke as kids and don't have asthma.

That's a ridiculous reason to charge someone extra money or to treat them like they abuse their child.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

It's okay really to be crying hysterically. You're just going through the phases of grief , by page 25 smokers will reach acceptance.

Kubler -Ross phases of grief.

Phase 1: Denial:
Example - "I feel fine."; "smoking doesn't do any harm
Phase 2: Anger:
Example - "Why me? It's not fair!" "NO! NO! How can this happen!"
Phase 3: Bargaining:
Example - "I am a polite smoker, I never smoke near non-smokers. Phase 4: Depression:
Example - "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die . . . What's the point?"
Phase 5: Acceptance:
Example - "It's going to be OK."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it." " I probably shouldn't be smoking abyway.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

It's okay - I still love you although you are a whingeing smoker. Mistakes happen to all people.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join