It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better late than never.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I am writing this thread with the feeling that i will be the only one in this situation, however i know i most probably am not.

For years now i have been interested in "survival", well i say survival, i'm probably talking more about bushcraft skills here and there, a bit of camping now and again.

Being ex forces, i do have some survival skills, but before now, everything i have learnt or prepared for has been with a view to look after myself, in the middle of nowhere, for a few days tops.

Despite the fact that i've followed this forum since it started, i've not been one to "stock up".

The last couple of days though, have for some reason been a wake up call for me. Something made me realise that if a Sit X happened now, i hadn't got some of the more important things that i would need to look after not just me, but my two daughters too.

I have my daughters (they are 10 and 11) half of the week, and luckily they love learning about bushcraft skills and the likes.

So today was a turning point for me. I won't post it on here, but i have joined a survivalist site which has great info on preparation, and between here and there...and the rest of the net, i intend to start stocking everything i will need to look after me and the girls for much longer periods.

It's something as simple as water. So many take it for granted when it comes out of tap, but if that goes, you still need to cook, wash and drink.

Today i went for my weekly shop, but on top of my usual grocery list, i added lots of items for the future. Four main groups i have in mind when i go shopping from now on, Food and water, hygeine, medicines and equipment (equipment being anything, tools etc.)

It's the little things too that only you as a parent know about, the kind of things that will make a difference to your kids. I know my girls suffer from dry lips and mouth ulcers a fair bit, so ulcer cream and Vaseline went into the trolley today. Things like that.

Funnily enough it was quite a nice feeling unpacking everything today, it's that security of knowing that we'll be living clean, fed and healthily, whilst others are suddenly panicing as they can't even see in the dark!

It was nice finding out that stocking up on food does not have to cost an arm and a leg. I got all the value range items today, i thought ITSHTF, i'm not going to be moaning about whether i'm drinking the best tea or not, i'll just be gratefull that i even have something that tastes vaguely of tea!

Thats not to say i'll survive on crap though. Initially i want to have enough in the house to be able to support us for say two weeks, then i'll work on building it up more with a view to months of supplies. (Only have so much room though lol) The nicer treats can still go in the trolley once i'm on top of the basics.

I have a long way to go and lots to learn, but at least it's a start.

Initialy i am stocking up in preparation for a long spell confined to the house. I live in a part of the UK which is very tranquil and, to be honest, dead! We are not about to have martial law declared in our forest village quite yet!

I think the worst that would happen here is a natural disaster or a water/power cut.

The more " extreme" survival aspects, i am quietly keeping them to the back of my mind at the moment. We don't/can't have guns here, so i'll sort out some other "tools" soon. I have enough experience to look after myself and my family if it comes to that, so i'm not going to dwell on it too much.

Apart from you guys/ladies, i don't think i'll tell anyone about this, not always a good thing eh? Conspiracy theorists get a bad enough time as it is, with out being a survivalist too! Can you imagine hitting someone with that all at once!!!

Just want to add a thank you to all on this section of the site, you've been a big inspiration.

CX.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Of course I am curious as to what changed your mind today that has made you take things more seriously.

I am one who has been expecting big problems, yet I am not prepared for the sort of things that are to be expected.

For some reason I think that "they" know that many have supplies and all so "it" will have to come from something else, something that can't be prepared for.

I certainly hope that I am wrong about that.

I also have a certain type of hope that the good guys still have a chance.

Edit to add: I love the dance monkeys dance video in your signature. I showed it to a friend once and he said "if they say Monkeys one more time I am going to freak" hahaha.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by interestedalways]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I've been following this forum for about a year now, I too recently realized that if poo hits the fan I'm not ready.

Unfortunatly I'm not in a situation where I can't make alot of preparations for myself or my family, other then freaking out my man with maps and lists of "what to do when the world goes down", there isn't much I can do.

I just want to get out of this big nasty city and back to little Norway, at least there I'm completely confident that I can survive most things and feel a little more at ease with the way the world runs.

I too would like to thank this site for opening up my eyes and making me worry about what could go wrong and more importantly how to prepare for rough times.

Let's just hope it's not going to be too late for me eh

CX

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Of course I am curious as to what changed your mind today that has made you take things more seriously.

The other night i had a dream, one of those really realistic ones that can get quite scary, as though you are actualy going through it.

I dreampt there was a huge explosion, like a nuke going off. There was the bang, the huge flash, and everything else that goes with it. However i was fine as long as me and the kids stayed in the house. For some reason i didn't have to worry about the fallout risks, i just had to look after the basics.

It was then i started panicking in my dream. The water had been knocked out, as had the electricity. I heard on the radio that people were going to have to stay in thier houses for weeks possibly, and thats where it hit me that i would'nt have the water to last a day, let alone weeks!

Then i thought of other supplies. I tend to buy week to week, sometimes day to day when it comes to food. So anything past a few days and we'd be toast!

So that was it. Thats what prompted me to make a start. I thought to myself, it's all very well having a BOB and the skills in my head to survive in the woods, but what if the best or only option is to survive in the house with my family?

People get so wrapped up in heading for the hills, when they could be running from the best shelter they will ever find. They just need to stock it!

Theres no wildlife to hunt in my kitchen cupboards, no water to purify from taps that are'nt working.

As for the monkey video lol, i love that vid. I always think of it when you see these huge award shows like the oscars, getting thier shiney awards.....like it means something!

CX.

[edit on 29/1/09 by CX]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

CX, a big
to you.

It's not the easiest thing to do to post in a forum such as this when everyone around you has been doing something, to say I havent been doing this, and now I am. Heck, I was embarrased when I first joined this site and didnt know what a Kelly Kettle was.

Also, it takes a real leap of faith in real life to commit to something like stockpiling. You are basicly saying, everything isnt going to be all right, I need to do something. Not easy to do when everything in the world is telling you no matter what happens, you will be fine no matter what.

Can be a big change for some. I know of people who started preparing long after I have who have far surpassed anything I have done or prepped. Others, after 6 months or so get bored with the concept and stop replenishing their stocks.

I'm glad you are taking this road, you are a great poster here and its good to know that should something happen, you will be back with our little community when you can.

CX

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thank you for that, it is much appreciated.

I think the hardest thing for me has been, i am too much on the fence with things. I can always see both sides of something, which i know is irritating to some people but thats just the way i am.

So i've never been one of these die hard survivalists that runs around in camo gear 24/7, but i have respect for those that do because they are going to be comfy when the time comes.

I was an MP in the army for many years, so i know how it feels to be on the "authorities" side, then again i can see what a nightmare some of our police forces are becoming.

So i have gone from being on the side where if martial law ever came about, i'd probably be the one enforcing it, to here now where i am having to prepare against it. Where i might have been looked after before, i won't now.

At the end of the day, it is plainly clear that our goverments won't give a hoot about us, so i will have to look after myself.

Right now, it's strange but i have a very reassuring feeling about me.

CX.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It's good to know that in the event of a worldwide hitting of poo in the fan, there are groups of people who will band together with skills and help eachother survive. Makes me feel warm inside.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing your dream.

I believe that our subconscious is where alot of our reality is dealt to us.

Sometimes we feel that a dream isn't just a dream and it can prompt us to take action as in your case.

I hope when things happen I can find some folks to join up with because being a single female there isn't much I feel I can do to be protected.

I guess I just have to have the faith thing going on. Just can't identify the source of the faith!

Good luck to you and yours.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Hi CX, I started a thread called Bugging in, Are You Ready ????.

The idea of the thread was about not being able to leave.
Here is the thread

This thread was started with regards to grappling with an event where you just could not leave or maybe there was no need to leave.

Hope this helps.

colec

CX

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Great thread

Thanks for the link.

CX.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
We regularly purchase things by the case. We only buy what we use but we always have quite a bit.

In the end, it usually saves us money. We buy when things are on sale.

We rotate our canned goods and I've started putting dates on everything so it's easy to use the oldest first.

Being well stocked isn't hard. We built up a little here and there.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

The ATS survival boards has tons of information and I am proud of the fact That I got to be in on the beginning of it. It has helped to focus my preparation. It has also made me want to help as many people as possible. I am active in many other survival web sites and strongly recommend that. It gives you different views on lots of subjects.

Also there are several sites that offer free ebooks. I strongly recommend getting as many as you can and read read read. Don't forget to print out and laminate any thing you feel is very important.

new topics

top topics

join