It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economic troubles bring many to the brink

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Economic troubles bring many to the brink

www.cnn.com

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Elizabeth Gore, with a voice soaked in motherly calm, counsels her suicidal caller.

"You don't want to live if you can't find a job; I think we need to send you to an emergency room," Gore suggests through her headset.

Gore is among the counselors at the County Mental Heath ACCESS call-in center. Counselors there reckon with Los Angeles County's unemployment rate of 9.5 percent, among the worst in the nation.

"Well, it's a big deal when you tell me that you don't want to live if you don't find something," Gore stresses to her caller. "Do you realize what you're telling me? I am not trying to preach, but that's kind of frightening."

"Lot's of people don't have jobs," Gore continues with her caller. "You've applied for 200 jobs and only got one call back?"

"Well don't get too dismayed and too discouraged," Gore says. "We are going to get you some kind of counseling first."

Gore hangs in there with her caller like a bent nail. The suicidal woman agrees to go to a psychological evaluation set up by Gore, at a nearby clinic.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Is it really getting so bad that people will commit suicide because they can't find jobs?

Could this trend continue to worsen along with the economic collapse?

This report comes on the heals of another from California where a man killed his 5 children, himself and his wife and in a note said; "after a horrendous ordeal my wife felt it better to end our lives and why leave our children in someone else's hands ... we have no job and 5 children under 8 years with no place to go. So here we are."

I hope this is not a trend, and that the current economic crisis is not long lived, or gets worse because I really hate to think of people so desperate that they would choose suicide.

This is perhaps the most alarming sign of the times I've seen to date.

If not suicide, then eventually desperate people will likely turn to crime, whatever it takes to survive!

Maybe the FEMA camps will become urgently necessary sooner than expected?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It's most definitely this bad. 2009 will be worse than 2008.

We're in a downward spiral. Companies are trying to resolve their financial loses by cutting jobs, but cutting jobs reducing spending which then leads to even more job cuts, etc.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It's just a sign of what is to come I'm afraid.

People lose jobs and can't find work.

Then the people who do have jobs decide they could be next so stop spending and planning for a possible job loss.

Then people lose more jobs because no one is spending money for fear of a future job loss.

Then after a few cycles of this and unofficial depression is realized by the people even though the govt. denies it.

As it is right now I can only see it getting worse. Maybe no depression but not good times ahead either.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Don't commit suicide. Go live in the woods like a mountain person. I fear some people forget about this Idea.

It is as if people would rather die wishing to be a slave to a corporation rather live free in nature. It seems backwards.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I really feel that people have become so dependent on others that they just can't deal with knowing they have to do it on their own. I have six children and there's no way I would kill them or myself in these trying times. We have camping gear, shotguns, rifles and pistols. We have all the things necessary to survive in the mountains if we need to. When all else fails I want my kids to know that there is a way to survive beyond society and it's troubles.

It's really a cowardly way to go but I have mixed feelings about suicide so don't trample on me for saying that. Our ancestors had it hard but thanks to them getting through tough times I'm here. I intend to do the same for my children. All I can say to others is get prepared to live, not die.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican

It is as if people would rather die wishing to be a slave to a corporation rather live free in nature. It seems backwards.

That's the problem with human nature in America... The corporate system has programed them to the point that money is all they know.

If I didn't have a family to support, I'd love to do nothing more than sell everything I own and go explore the world. Maybe I should do this anyway and take my family with me.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
we are taught go to school, get good grades, get out of school to go back get good grades and work for a good company.

I always thought this logical was flawed, like these people were sheep pushed through life.

Not me, Im not paying someone $40k + for an education I can learn myself, be self employed and not deal with the corporate bs.

I will never work for anyone again in my life. I hate it, have done it, just to get stepped on. People work for pennies so their bosses can live in mansions and drive $100k cars around town.

Not me, if you want to make money off my back you found the wrong man.

My personal time is worth more then $15/hour to me.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I had a buddy that was talking that kind of crazy # when he couldn't find a job for over a year and 1/2.

It does a lot to a persons self worth when they are rejected everywhere they turn. It's even worse when they have payed their own way for their whole adult life and now must beg and borrow from everyone they know to just survive.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
i'm sure this sort of thing, or at least thinking is happening now more than ever. there was that guy in california who lost his job and went home, faxed some major news network that he was going to off his entire family and himself, and then he did. how terribly sad. i just lost my job about 20 minutes ago because of this darn economy and what i'v been taught is to pick myself up by the bootstraps and keep moving forward. not kill myself or others. it just sucks it has been so long since i'v had to look for a job. this totally sucks!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
We as members of our communities need to start programs of deprogramming.

Too many of us think that our value and our worth is determined by what we have and how much money we make.

This is deceitful brainwashing designed to keep us greedy, distracted, selfish and separated.

It is time to wake up and smell the coffee. They have tricked us, raped us and has thrown us from the bridge to drown. Well the water isn't that deep yet so we still have enough time to stand up and walk to shore.

We may have lost a lot but we have learned a lot more and it is time to use what we have learned.

We know that we can't believe a word that those in TPTB tell us. We have learned that you don't have to swim if you can stand on your own two legs and walk. But most important we have learned to recognize a prick when we see one.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
When did it happen?

At what point in the history of our relatively young nation did we instill in our people the idea that if you can't find a job, your life isn't 'worth' living; or you are a 'lazy' or 'bad' person.

Why is surrendering your time and energy to another person actually NECESSARY for society to work?

The problem is much deeper than materialism, or 'group-think'.

Why is it that even when you work for a company you are STILL indoctrinated to believe that you work 'for' your boss? Why do bosses always find a way to evoke - in you - the sense of 'being grateful you have a job.' Like your position represents charity or largess on the the part of the immediate supervisor or superior to whom you report?

Why are we valued depending on the labor we provide, as long as we can ignore our human worth?

The problem is much more severe than 'economic troubles.'

The truth is - there are enough resources to keep us all alive, healthy, and free. How is it that we STILL in the 21st Century have poverty in this country - let alone the world?

We have such a tremendous surplus of goods in the world, yet many go hungry and without comfort for most of their lives.

Someone, or something, is hording it all; or simply keeping it from the rest of us, for reasons that escape human interpretation.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I am so saddened that people would actually consider taking their own lives and that of those they love just because of finances. What's so terribly wrong with tightening your belts, starving a little, and make do with less?

Are we so materialistic and so egoistical that we cannot humble ourselves and just live? How is it that people who live in third world countries, in slums, in ghettos, still able to smile and go on day after day.

I agree with many of the posters above, it's a selfish and a shame that people have been conditioned to think that without money, life isn't worth living.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

We have such a tremendous surplus of goods in the world, yet many go hungry and without comfort for most of their lives.

And if you dig around a little bit you will find that those people live in areas where TPTB have been allowed to go in and strip the land of its natural resources or steal the water by altering its natural flow by dams so they can control and horde the water to themselves.

We have been asleep at the wheel for too long. It is time to wake up and stop the madness. We need to step out of the Holo-deck into the real world.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
Don't commit suicide. Go live in the woods like a mountain person. I fear some people forget about this Idea.

Yeah right, most people couldn't survive 10 damn seconds without their cell phone and ipod. Most people have long ago abandoned any type of survival skill for the comfort and ignorance of city life and modern convenience. That’s what happens when people think steak and potatoes come from the supermarket shelves instead of an animal that has to be killed and butchered and fields that need to be farmed. I thank God that I am a backwoods country boy hick with all the skills I need to survive but I pity those city slickers who only know what a tree looks like because they once saw a picture of one.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
MAXMARS, you nailed it perfectly.
We should be able to restore our dignity when we fall on hard times.
I know that when I was out of work, I was pretty depressed.

Bosses also have a way of making us feel like we should be in debt to them for having a job. I recently worked with a woman who used to tell me whenever I brought up this topic that I should be grateful to still be here.
As if to say that my job was given to me out of charity and not because of my skills and value to the company. I could not shake her out of this delusion. Her work ethic was the company before family and mine is the reverse, so this was always the place of friction.

The jobs are just not out there, and if I were to lose this one, I would be in a bad way. I guess for the time being, I/we need to bite the crap sandwich that they push on us in order to keep our positions.

I wish I could be my own boss.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I am so saddened that people would actually consider taking their own lives and that of those they love just because of finances. What's so terribly wrong with tightening your belts, starving a little, and make do with less?

Are we so materialistic and so egoistical that we cannot humble ourselves and just live? How is it that people who live in third world countries, in slums, in ghettos, still able to smile and go on day after day.

I agree with many of the posters above, it's a selfish and a shame that people have been conditioned to think that without money, life isn't worth living.

While I don't completely find what you're saying untrue, I feel it's wrong to chalk it all up to selfishness and egotism. Problem is like others have been saying. We, as a whole nation, are lost, programmed, and hooked on instant gratification. And getting back to a more "humble" beginning as you put it is a "frightening" thing - not because they want all the luxury, but because they think they need it or don't know how they'll do without it. That's not the same thing.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I know the actions of people are solely their choice and thiers only to make........But...... I have a question, which I'm looking at from the perspective of how our legal system would apply it towards a citizen in a court of law. If I was in a court of law they would spin it to make it seem like I was somehow the puppetmaster which forced a person to commit their acts.....

So here's my question................Is it at all possible to file a class action lawsuit against the gov't and banks or all the parties involved which basically caused this PLANNED Financial Crisis?

Because technically (as they would apply it to me in court) Their actions actually caused these reactions of the desperate people to committ suicide/murders.

Don't get me wrong I blame nobody but the people who committed/chose these acts, but the gov't is partially responsible by making these people and at least 90% of society domesticated and dependent humans who know nothing else.

Makes sense if you look at it from how they see things through their clouded judgment, self serving manipulated man made law, corporate courts of injustice. I just think " What's good for the goose is good for the gander and we as a nation should stand up and say enough is enough. Take back what is ours. Our Lives and freedoms.

[edit on 29/1/2009 by Revealation]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SpencerJ

I just finished watching the Venus Project. I do not want to talk the project itself. I want to know if you think that Utopia is a real possibility. Do you think that any country could pull this off? Do you think that humans have the ability to live in peace and harmony on a large scale? Not small individual communes. I am talking about living together in a huge numbers like on the scale of cities and countries. Do you think is could be done?

Spencer J you hit the nail on the head.

People are afraid of the unknown and the untried.

Ever try to get a person on skis for the first time, to ride a horse, get on motorcycle or bungee jump. They are terrified until realize it was much ado about nothing.

We will be so happy that we are alive. So happy that there are others around to help and so busy trying to stay alive that they will not have time to think about the junk they left behind. In fact I am hoping that they will rejoice that it is gone. One less chain around their neck

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MiRRoR_MuSiC
.... i just lost my job about 20 minutes ago because of this darn economy and what i'v been taught is to pick myself up by the bootstraps and keep moving forward. not kill myself or others. it just sucks it has been so long since i'v had to look for a job. this totally sucks!

Sorry to hear about your recent setback with work.

In Australia 1 sales position can attract over 1,000 applicants....it gets very disheartening facing such competition.

But the thing about losing work is the loss of financial independence placing the victim under considerable financial stress which is experienced as life threatening causing further anxiety and depression.....putting such people at high risk of commiting suicide.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join