It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electronic Medical Records in Obama Stimulus Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Source

(Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know it is World Net Daily, but this is still bothersome)

A little-discussed provision in President Obama's economic stimulus plan would demand that every American submit to a government program for electronic medical records without a choice to opt out, and it has privacy advocates more than a little alarmed.

Patients might be alarmed, too, privacy advocates said, if they realized information such as documentation on abortions, mental health problems, impotence, being labeled as a non-compliant patient, lawsuits against doctors and sexual problems could be shared electronically with, perhaps, millions of people.

"Without those protections, Americans' electronic health records could be shared – without their consent – with over 600,000 covered entities through the forthcoming nationally linked electronic health-records network," Blevins said.

Now, I am all for stream-lining the medical industry and healthcare in the US, but this is a bit scary. Especially if it comes to fruition.

The only people that should have access to my medical records are me, my doctor(s), and my insurance company (to an extent). I shouldn't have to worry about electronic copies of every little medical thing about me floating around out there in electronic form, available to a ton of people that don't know me, that I don't know, and that I will never meet.

I don't like this.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I don't know the details of this for sure, but I would have to wonder how many certain people already have some type of codes put on them. I suppose being on disability and medicare is enough to figure this out anwyay.

But there has to be a way to cut down on unnecessary billing practices and procedures. Regular bloodscreening should be mandatory for proper evaluations and treatments. I see a day coming when our DNA will be part of our records also. Some think of Nazis with this though. A person should be able to opt out as if signing a waiver from any law suits. I would much prefer to see this done from the Star Trek point of view rather than by the process of elimination of 'defective' people. Than there's the genetic corrective therapies?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This has already largely been done here in the UK, being a very regular customer of the NHS, I have definitely seen a huge difference in the speed at which the information is used to speed up my treatment, no more x-rays being moved from Doctor to Doctor, instant access to diagnosis, blood results, and medication lists.

What has made a huge difference, is that I don't have to keep repeating myself to every Doctor I see or speak to, everything is right there.

As for the security of the data, well I figure it's there anyway, and I am not concerned to much to be honest, how or why someone would use my illness against me is a mystery, what would concern me if it happened here is, the insurance company part, I wouldn't like some office worker telling my Doctor what treatments I can and cant have because of the cost, I know it does happen here but there are no insurance companies making those decisions, thats just not right.

Another thing also, we have just changed GP because of moving, and my records were available to my new Doctor instantly, 2 years ago when that happened it took 6 weeks, so none of my treatments were held up this time because of snail mail.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

Well, you all have nationalized healthcare, which the government runs, right? We don't and I personally think that would be bad for the US. To me, this looks like yet another step in that direction.

Like I said, I am all for stream-lining the way things are done in the healthcare system in the US, but this could get out of hand. I don't want every little thing I have ever said to any doctor I have ever seen available to hundreds of thousands of individuals/agencies/government officials. It is none of their business.

I can see this leading to denial of coverage for insurance (if the whole nationalized healthcare falls on its face). I can see this leading to doctors reading the file and forming preconceived notions about a patient due to something that they said to a doctor in their past. I can see these records easily being hacked.

I can see more problems and/or potential problems with this than actual benefits. JMO....

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this article, Skeptic, even if I think it's probably overly hysterical.

I agree that there are real issues that need more attention paid to them, but I very much question the implications in the article that anyone in the networks would be legally able to get all the information available without having to show why they need it.

I think we do need a national health care system, partly because I can see how many benefits would come from being able share records more easily than we currently can (part of this, in my view, would also be making it easier for the patient to access the medical record and challenge anything in it – like being labeled a "non-compliant" patient).

The most realistic and immediate fears I have with this sort of electronic medical records plan have to do with the financial angles of health care, which are already such a total mess here. Imagine if employers could ask for an audit of your health care records to make sure that you won't cost them too much in medical insurance costs before hiring you?

Unrealistic? There are already law cases saying that employers can discriminate against cigarette smokers; why not people with high blood pressure or cholesterol?

The way health care is provided in this country is a complete travesty, and not only because the only money in the system comes from the pharmaceutics companies. I think we have to be really careful as we incorporate technological change in information management, that we also incorporate ethical change in how that information is managed.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

It probably is a bit over-hysterical (the article, that is), but it makes people think. Yes, electronic medical records seem like a good idea. But, just think of the cans of worms it could open.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

To help Big Brother keep a better eye on us and our children, $20 billion would go towards health information technology, which would create a national system of electronic medical records without adequate privacy protection. These records would instead be subject to the misnamed federal “medical privacy” rule, which allows government and state-favored special interests to see medical records at will. An additional $250 million is allocated for states to nationalize individual student data, expanding Federal control of education and eroding privacy.

www.house.gov...

Ron Paul seems to echo the ops opinion.

Does cause a reason to be concerned.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I guess I've already been sucked in. I went to the doctor's office a week ago on Wednesday and when I signed in, the receptionist asked me to fill out a form stating that all the records would be electronic now. I don't go to the doctor that often unless my back goes out (which is why I went last week) or once a year for my regular checkup. I ususally battle off illnesses the old-fashioned way. The less they know about me the better, I say.

Honestly, I don't know what to make of it. I don't know if I should be paranoid or go with the flow.
There's already so many other things to be paranoid about. I guess you just have to pick and choose.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I am one of the (not so) lucky people who have Kaiser as our HMO. All of our medical records are now electronic. We have a website where we make appointments, view past appointments, etc. When I check in, I don't even need to go up to the reception desk, there is an electronic kiosk to complete the task. I must say, it is quite streamlined, and as a previous poster said, it does help when I'm seeing several different doctors. I was just in last week for xrays and an ultrasound and the fils from the xray were immediately available for the doctor in another office to review. I'm not a fan of Kaiser in general, but this technology is really top notch.

The fact is, if the government wants my medical records, they're going to get them, electronic or not, right? If they want it, they'll get it, didn't we just learn that with Bush in office?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Um it is not as lame as you think.

The idea is good if only shared between health care professionals.

Wonderful, great will allow a more efficient service and a will save lives especially in A&E.

But this is not just that this is a way of making money for big business and the drug companies... please realise that

600,000 private corporations and companies will have access to all or parts of this info!

So if you have a condition you will receive letters in the post etc asking you to go for their drug or treatment, etc etc.

If you would like confirmation on this from a very ardent campaigner who works within the medical industry itself, and is at the forefront of publishing the Tumour and Veri Chip etc links now proven, please listen to last nights C2C show she is covering this after about 25 mins of the first hour, Catherine Albert.

The first hour in WMA format is Here

Copy the above link location and open in a media player that supports WMA playback such as windows media player or any other with the codec. as said hear this part on about 25 mins in for the interview.

For the rest of the show just change the last digit of the link before .wma to 1 from the 0, then 2 then 3 and you will have listened to all four hours.

This is just a way of making money for the government, I wouldn't be surprised as this will be the best marketing database in the world, if they charge for access depending on how sick you are. Eventually this could lead to it being profitable not just for the drug companies but the government the more diseases you have!!!!

Think on that eh.
Enjoy

Kind Regards,

Elf
Edit for correct link & coast to Coast Show courtesy of CJOB radio network.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Without electronic medical record, you will never see health care cost decrease. End of story.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

I heard this on C2C last night, too, hence the thread.

It is scary. I want my medical records to be private. I don't want the government or private companies or anyone other than me and my doctor and maybe (in part) my insurance company knowing what is going on with me health-wise.

Yes, it may stream-line the healthcare system and lower SOME costs, but at what COST to the patient???

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

How about generic drugs made by the government for non profit?

How about health care not being a money making organisation?

reply to post by skeptic1

Exactly and so they should be, as many of these companies are parts of huge corporations, and therefore where will this go? will a HR dept look at your records that corporation holds before asking for an interview, or for Life Insurance policies?

If not immediately it leads to that.

There is nothing more private than Medical Records except for our sexual activities.

It is disgusting.

Elf.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

I can see this leading to being dropped by private insurance.

I can see this leading to being denied coverage by new insurance companies.

I can see this leading to the loss of a job/the denial of a job due to medical conditions.

I can see this leading to a breach in doctor/patient confidentiality.

I can see this leading to HIPAA violations.

I can see this leading to the loss of privacy for individuals.

I can see this being a huge problem that some just don't want to see or recognize.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I am actually very pleased that the electronic medical record is getting so popular. There is a great one I've been using at www.drfirst.com... that has been hugely convenient for me to use. I recommend that anyone interested try the free demo out and see for yourselves and see how they can speed doctor visits and decrease chance of script errors.

new topics

top topics

join