It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terraforming Earth to prevent climate change?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Plans to curb climate change by using plankton to draw carbon dioxide into the world's oceans have been boosted.

Ocean commotion

Using algae as a "biological carbon pump" has been touted as one of the more promising "geo-engineering" schemes for mitigating global warming. Plankton act as a natural sponge for carbon dioxide - drawing the greenhouse gas down out of the atmosphere and into the sea. When plankton die, they sink to the bottom of the ocean, locking away some of the carbon they have absorbed.

" This is a significant result - it suggests that ocean iron fertilisation might work for reducing atmospheric CO2 Prof Peter Burkill, SAHFOS "

Terraforming

Terraforming (literally, "Earth-shaping") of a planet, moon, or other body is the hypothetical process of deliberately modifying its atmosphere, temperature, surface topography or ecology to be similar to those of Earth to make it habitable by humans.

Ok here is an odd one. Did any of you know this was going on? I never knew people were out there doing stuff like this on a large scale. This sounds kind of cool I hope it works but...

I wonder if there are any possible negative side affects they have not thought of.

Stay tuned

[edit on 29-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
One star and no replies now that is a conspiracy

thanks lone starman

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
A simple thread bump.

I thought this would have gotten a better response

Man to replies now that is a conspiracy

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
A simple thread bump.

I thought this would have gotten a better response

Man to replies now that is a conspiracy

It's because there's no doom and gloom in it.

If you retooled the thread title to "NWO plankton set to declare martial law on carbon dioxide!!!!!" you'd get 50 flags and 54 stars

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

News flash this just in...

Plankton to stop processing US made Carbon in Protest of American involvement in the gulf film at 11

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Why would we want to stop climate change?

This is what the Earth does...heats up...cools down...repeat. Any attempt we make will just end up screwing something else up.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Well see that's why I was asking about this topic. I never knew people were actually out there trying to change things in this manner it seems to me that they may be causing more harm than good.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
"NWO plankton set to declare martial law on carbon dioxide!!!!!"

ROFLMAO !!!

I beleive there was a plan to dump a whole lot of ferrous-oxide, and fertilizer into the ocean to test this. Think I read that the ship was stopped though.

See, the problem with the plankton/algae angle, is that we have already had algae-blooms- (off the coast of africa) All it leads to is more dead organisms in the water turning the natural balance around, and causing dead spaces in the ocean, where only anaerobic bacteria can live. We had the same problem in our pond. It could only be resolved by pumping in lots of air, the way it is done in purification plants.

Here's some gloom&doom: Terraforming could lead to global pre-kambrian, possible even pre-archaean conditions! Think about it: First the algaea consume all the CO2, and die. Then the waters acidity and o2 content changes based on rot and decay. Causing bursts of noxious gasses to erupt, wreaking havoc on a global scale!
Finally our hidden masters of the Archae Phylum can take their rightful position as the dominating species, that we ousted from them 2500-million years ago!
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!

top topics

join