It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven of the greatest scientific hoaxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Now here’s a laugh:

In 1957, the BBC show Panorama broadcast a programme about the spaghetti tree in Switzerland. It showed a family harvesting pasta that hung from the branches of the tree. After watching the programme, hundreds of people phoned in asking how they could grow their own tree. Alas, it was an April Fools' Day joke.

See the vid:

Read the full article

That’s supposed to be one of the seven greatest scientific hoaxes ever.
The real fun starts when reading the comments from top down.

Enjoy

Ps: from the comments came this one:

Or this chap confessing evolution is a hoax:

Well, you got us there - and after all the effort we went to to bury all those fake fossils under tonnes of bed rock, and to fake all those peer-reviewed scientific studies. I think our finest hour was when we caught all those South American finches, stuck fake beaks on them, and let them loose on the Galapagos Islands just before Chuck Darwin arrived. We had a good laugh over that one.

To be honest, I'm glad you caught us out. Running a global conspiricy of this magnitude eats up alot of one's spare time. Maybe I'll take up growing orchids instead. Of course I won't be able to breed new varieties, as I'm sure you're aware that all lifeforms are fixed and unchanging, forever, just the way Ahura-Mazda wants them.

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
One of my favorites is "Alternative 3". A hoax program that was broadcast in 1977 in England. A friend of mine figured out that it was a complete hoax when the interview with the "astronaut" (Bob Grodin) came on. My friend recognized the voice as being one of the actors who supplied a voice (Shane Rimmer) of one of the marionettes from Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds!

A letter from the person who wrote the book based on the TV program is here.

Imdb Database entry for the program.

Blurry copy availablehere

I'm sure that by googling cleaner copies can be found.

new topics

join