It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's in a Name?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Boys With Unpopular Names More Likely to Break Law.

According to a new study by Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania boys with unpopular names are more likely to commit crime.

Story here....www.livescience.com...

This is what got my attention...

The findings could help officials "identify individuals at high risk of committing or recommitting crime, leading to more effective and targeted intervention programs," the authors conclude.

So if your name is Ivan or Obama
you better watch out, they're going to be watching you!

[edit on 1/29/2009 by ANOK]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Obama is actually a popular name. I don't see how you could go wrong with it. And, what's wrong with people named ivan?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
So, what does it mean if my name is Tingles McGrits?

What about Craig O'Handflopp? Will he be a Serial Panty Thief?

I'm going to change my name to something normal, like Neil Cocklush.

Seriously though, hearing 'Tingles' every day of your life MUST make you insane...

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Obama is actually a popular name. I don't see how you could go wrong with it. And, what's wrong with people named ivan?

Hehe is Obama a popular name in the US? If it isn't now it will be in about 9 months lol.

Nothing wrong with Ivan, it's just one of the names the article used as an example.

I have a unpopular name myself, or it was when I was in school, it's more common now, but I didn't become a criminal. I've broken some laws, who hasn't, but I've never been locked up for more than a night...

I just had a thought, it's all our parents fault, giving us names that make us commit crime
Could I use that as a defense?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

LOL my names Lou Natic.

Please don't put me away, I'll Neil Downe and beg you, please you'll make me Penny Less, and I won't feel too Wanda Phull, and you'll put me in a cell with crazy people, and you know Teresa Crowd and they're so Mal Adjusted, and they'll make me Ben Dover and do nasty stuff. It's not like I was Robin Banks, and now you've got me in Rusty Irons and it's so Dan Gerrous in here....Arrrrggghhh!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
what's wrong with people named ivan?

Glad you asked!

en.wikipedia.org...

The Backpacker Murders is a name given to a serial killing case that occurred in New South Wales, Australia during the 1990s. The bodies of seven missing young people were discovered partly buried in the Belanglo State Forest, 15 kilometres south west of the town of Berrima, New South Wales. Five of the victims were international backpackers visiting Australia, and two were Australian travellers from Melbourne. Ivan Milat was convicted of the murders and is serving seven life sentences in prison.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Interesting, my mother has a family friend whos son is named Ivan, and boy he is or was quite a nut job, violent, abusive and often threatening to kill his parents or do himself harm. Granted the entire family was a little touched in that regard, but an example of another Ivan with 'issues' .

Ive always believed your birth name has more to do with you than alot of people think which is why I hate these made up names that seem so damn popular these recent years (no meaning so no purpose) simply to have your kid feel special. Although I dont like the idea at all of policing agencies possibly using your name as a way of putting unwarranted negativity on you. Although the article says nothing along those lines happening im sure some ones gonna try and push for it some time.

Hopefully commonsense prevails when or if it does.

new topics

top topics

join