It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do you believe the bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
why do you believe in the bible whats the difference between that and someone being born and saying that he is the son of god.
would you believe that?
i dont believe in god or the whole religion for that matter and ive always would about this

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ryan atwood
why do you believe in the bible whats the difference between that and someone being born and saying that he is the son of god.
would you believe that?
i dont believe in god or the whole religion for that matter and ive always would about this

There sure does seem to be a lot of this type of questioning going around.

I am a daughter of my Father.. I am *of* G.d most definitely and it honestly matters little to me if someone believes me or not. I always encourage to never take me at my word for anything!

I do believe there is GREAT truth and wisdom that was put together by G.d in the Tanakh; but I was called out before I knew it was His Word.. so, I do not believe that one has to believe it in order to have G.d find them and call on them.. nor do I believe He is bound within the words of the Tanakh.
But what good does that do you. My knowledge I had to work hard for... I had to search it and let go of everything I thought I knew before He came to me to prove Himself. So, what I say should not be blindly believed. When you want the Truth, the Truth will be there to greet you.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I bet the OP is going to receive lots of replies similar to

"because it's Gods word"

and a few

"you will rot in hell"

Perhaps the question should be a bit wider and ask why do you believe in any religious book?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
I bet the OP is going to receive lots of replies similar to

"because it's Gods word"

Seems to be the rehearsed answer these days, no? Sad.. I could not accept the NT OR the Tanakh until I knew why. When I did, I rejected most of the NT and accepted all of the Tanakh. But I had to walk away.. when I was brought back to the Tanakh, I saw it in a new light.

Never ever accept something based on its own word. That is a very dangerous position to put yourself in.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I grew up with a very open mind on things.

The bible to me is just a well told story

But! it has 2 things that i dont trust..

One : It was written by man
Two : What is god?

There for i feel it very very wacked out that people still think aliens are not real..

I dont mean that in a bad way i just dont understand how people can question life when we was created by "something" !!

I find that odd on its own merits.. i mean NOTHING is strange to me becouse the very fact we are HERE is mind boggling lol

Only thing i would say that was good is the ten commandments "tho i dont follow them alot" / im a sinner

but it says Work as a team.. to me and thats not a bad thing, some people take it to far and thats why idiots kill each other over "other" books.

kinda sad realy but s+f for a good thread

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by theresult

Gday theresult, I posted a similar thread yesterday, I ve seen about 3 more since, I think something is in the air?? Either we're about to get squished and zapped, or people are a awakening? hhhmmm

People believe in God because something did create existence, but thats just an aside...

Lots believe in FEAR, and that defines their worship. Some believe so hard in what they were taught is the right GOD, they will die or kill because the alternative of being wrong is just too much to live with.

Others dont really think about it, they just believe in what they learned growing up, and are really neither here or there about it.

And tthen there is the mob that just go along with it, you know the mosque visits, church visits, temple visits etc because its following ritual and provides a cultural/clan identity.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I don't. I recently seen a quote from Buddha that I think pretty much sums it up.

Buddha said -- Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

I don't accept or believe the bible. But I do see much wisdom and truth in it. But I do not focus on the idol, but the message/knowledge contained within. I didn't learn it from the bible either, but the bible is nice to have because it repeats what I learned(parts of it anyway).

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
hey zazz

Yeah i get what you mean.. people take this god thing waaay to far.
For me I dont got no problems with GOD or whatever.. why? well if you read all the books.. well most of em. you was made this way.. so why bother debating it? hehe

Im just happy im here "or who put me here" and being alive can suck at times i do agree, but thats not becouse gods a muppet but becouse humans are do dumb
"myself included"

The bible and stuff is ok as long as one does not take it to far and most of the time they do..

Hence why we are in the #fest we see today

remember the time when we thought the world was flat? LOL wooo!! omg i just fell off the earth hah

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

hey bad

Can I just say that budda.. is the same as the bible for me. I never have needed anyone or any guidence from budda or anyone..

Do you know what guides me? being alive.. looking up at the stars and being thankfull for it.

since i was about seven

Nothing came befor me and nothing shall come after me

feel free to use my quote

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
hey dont laugh too hard.... maybe the world is flat if I remember your comments on the universe is a holgram thread!

Yep I agree, we are in the loop, enjoy it, learn from the cr*p and stop living in fear.
By the way I do disagree with you about the bible being interesting old stories, I think they are scary and blood thirsty, mysoginistic and well boring mostly.... Sometimes I think I hear better things come out of kids mouths than what' s in parts...

It has its good bits too

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
haha

yeah parts of the bible are total controll methords but I still like the ten commandments..

they seem pretty ok to me.. i cant stand the rest tho

But it gives abit of guidence i guess

Please dont get me started on the loop, man i had a wacked out dream the other day.. i wanted to post something about it but i was banned for off topic stuff

I dunno its all very mad right now for me and how i see things.

its like i have someone pointing at my back constantly. and its anoying being able to understand what it im in.

its not god not budda its LIFE.. to many people harp on about why or this or that "bible" ect..

cant we just say OK guys we are on earth what are we going to do about it??

fannying about talking about who is right and wrong is going to bring about our own armagedon

thats my biggest fear

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
it should be why believe in any religion.
im very skeptical the school i go to is very forcefall on christianity but believe more of the science in the world and the whole jesus story i really dont believe.
i dont really see how people believe in religion but thats probley just me i cant believe in something that has no evidence in exsisting e.g god

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
i agree ryan

key word here "force"

very bad!!!! Let your mind be free like a butterfly in the wind.

some men would wish to keep others in a cage like a pet birdy.

Im sorry but this little birdy is freeeee and i feel good about that

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
i believe in most christian schools at young age kids are "brained wash" into thinking that god exsist and everythign about it is true.
at my school i got suspended for questioning the beliefs of christians we is an example of how forcefully there trying to make you believe wat they believe not wat you want

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ryan atwood
it should be why believe in any religion.
im very skeptical the school i go to is very forcefall on christianity but believe more of the science in the world and the whole jesus story i really dont believe.
i dont really see how people believe in religion but thats probley just me i cant believe in something that has no evidence in exsisting e.g god

I would say if it matters if the story of Jesus is "real" or not, then you missed the point of it. To me it doesn't actually matter if it's real. The people who care if it's real or not are usually idol worshipers.

Meaning, rather than looking at it in terms of it is real or not, try to see it in terms of understanding what he is saying. Try to understand it from his perspective. What Jesus says of himself is also true of you. The difference is that he understood and knew it, where as most people do not. Imagine a world where everyone acts in the basic ways Jesus does, where they all follow what he says. Not a world of 24/7 church where they worship him for doing it, rather than doing it themselves.

Personally, I was far away from the church, bible and Jesus when I started to see the truth. It wasn't until it got to the point where I felt I couldn't trust anyone that I really started to understand. It was at the point where I started to question everything, reality itself even, that I got answers. To question things is to seek. I can tell you I learned and seen what Jesus said, but was shown not to focus on the idol(Jesus), but on the message of what he teaches.

Think of Jesus as being like a variable in a math equation. Where as the variable itself is just an expression of the equation(expression of the truth). Where as the truth is like A+B=C, and Jesus/Bible is a 1+1=2. 1+1=2 is an expression of A+B=C. Where you have put specific values into the variables. When you can do this, then you can see where the very things Jesus dealed with are still present today. The names, dates, and places(variables) are different, but the actual expression itself is still present.

So I think there are many ways to learn the same truth, many expressions of the truth. So good luck finding it. All you have to do is ask questions, question everything and then be open minded to the answers you get. Also, don't ask man. Ask yourself(ask god), and then wait for answers. They will come in the strangest ways sometimes. It may perhaps come from someone who says something, but what matters most is who you asked. It should make sense to you, it should bring you understanding. Can't fake it, there is a difference in running around saying 1+1=2 and understanding why 1+1=2.

I'm pretty sure Jesus would do /headinhands to the church.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Repugnant is the creature who would
squander the ability to
Lift an Eye to heaven conscious
of his fleeting time here

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
the way i see it,

the Old Testament books, were designed to keep the independent minded
12 tribes as one cohesive unit... that strategy failed to wit: the 'lost' tribes
who gave up the "Sacred Diety" & his awesome word/power...

the new testament books, actually use the prophetic visions which are
really the tapping into the 'collective counscious' which all manner of
humans regularly access in trance or epiphany or spiritual journeys/visions
via persons like shamans or Edgar Cayce...
and to a degree, everyone who meditates, chants or even Prays

Organized religion, by keeping the masses from the enlightenment about
this natural connecting to a 'Godhead'...had for nearly 1,500 years
held a monopoly on 'salvation' & spiritual ascendancy... with their own brand of proprietary Faith-Belief system. (& it's still going on today)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
THERESULT, Agreed mate, and if things are at your back, less ATS and more daily walks for a while, clear your head
Not sure how you have -485 points dude lol!

[edit on 29-1-2009 by zazzafrazz]

new topics

top topics

join