It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Vision of Today's College Students (A-must-watch-video)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

The video speaks for it's self. My hope in today's educational system is at a all time low. Save money for my childrens college fund? I'm starting to think otherwise... They need to learn a craft or a trade... And specialize in that craft or trade without focusing on all the other 75% of the crap courses we are told to attend in order to achieve a piece paper that says Associate, Bachelor, or Master on it. That piece of paper normally comes with $50,000 of debt attached to it.

Besides, most kids or young adults don't even know what they want to do with thier lives at the age of 18.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

That was well edited.

But as a college student I do have some gripes.

100% of my professors know my name.... because I take the time to introduce myself and talk to them.

I read 100% of my book assignments, and open the books I paid for, because I want to do well in the classes.

I attend every class, baring illness in myself or my kids.

I will probably read upwards of 30 books this year, because i value that more than facebook.

I personally think just about everything I learn there is relevant, in some way, but that is a matter of perspective.

Some of their points aren't issues with the learning system but with the kids themselves.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Hey... I live in Dallas too.

I went to the Art Institute of Dallas... And focused on my craft... Graphic Design.

I also went to The University of North Texas (UNT)... and after a year and a half I realized that the school was not for me.

Also when I was 18, I didn't exactly know what I wanted to do with my life... I just followed the normal routine... Graduate High School and then go to college.

I just recomend going to a trade school rather than a University...

The Art Institute of Dallas even helped me get the job that I still currently have today.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Small world, I'm attending UNT now and I have a few friends at AIoD.

But I maintain what I said, for most students, they will do as well in the classes as they put their effort into it. There may be some shopping aroudn for the right university but ultimately it depends on the student's work ethic.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I agree with what you are saying... it's more of the students responsibility to embrace the education they are paying for...

And beware of the ghost of Wanda in Bruce Hall... lol

mysticghost.blogspot.com...

I had fun at UNT... I didn't learn a damn thing. Because I was young, dumb, and just happy that I wasn't living with my parents anymore.

My gripe is this... Music Majors & Creative Writers don't need to spend so much time on Algebra.

Architects & Engineers don't need to spend so much time on Literature & Creative Writing.

I believe in a well rounded education... but it today's world it's becoming more dificult to achieve that. I repeat... in today's world.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
It makes me wonder what exactly these kids were doing/learning/thinking during their grade school and high school years.

Were they too focused on iPod or Playstation or Xbox?

Were they too focused on MySpace or text messaging on cell phones?

Did any of them get asked the question..as early as 2nd grade..."what would you like to be when you grow up?"???

Was that question asked through their entire years at grade school and at the high school level before venturing out into the world?

How many graduated high school with Visa and MasterCard cheat sheets from online cheat sites?

How many intend to apply that "Instant Degree" with Visa and MasterCard from cheat sites?

Point here is that it seems all those kids in that video have absolutely no clue as to who they are, what they are, where they been, and where they are going.

Like a bunch of atomatons that need a constant dose of program instruction just to know what to do the next day.

That IMO is lack of self asteem, lack of vision and lack of the desire to become somebody other than a profile on some stupid socializing website or be the one with the most mp3's on their laptop or be the top text messenger of cell phones.

Didnt any of those kids have any interests outside of a computer or cell phone at all?

I am not convinced it is a problem with the education system. Perhaps a little, mostly due to the overcrowding in schools at both the grade level and college levels. But I also think it is mostly a problem with the individuals themselves. They are too used to seeing that instant this and instant that on that computer and cell phone text message. Well life is NOT instant. Life is NOT a quick fix. Life is NOT a pre-determined set of program code to follow. Life is what you make of it. And if these poor souls want to just sit there and waste away their opportunity to make something of themselves, aint a single one of them deserve to be sitting in those seats in that classroom because there are alot of people out there who would love to have the chance at an education, but cant afford it, and would certianly use the time more effectively than to be chatting away on the cell phone or putting up worthless profiles at facebook.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

Pftt, I've been around the UNT campus since before you picked up a pen, Wanda doesn't scare me.

But the ghost of Fry Street... now that is a vengeful beast!

My favorite is the rumor that a destitue student was once living in the ceiling of Willis Library, for a whole semester or so, and onyl got caught when he fell through the tiles. \

I don't think the plan as it is laid out now is overly course-heavy, except I think they could make the electives less of a requirement actually. And of course stop raising tuition so much.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Agreed, even if you don't know what career you want to go in by the age of 18, you know what you are good at and like to do, that you can put into a path of study.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

So have you lived in the dorms?

I stayed at West and Kerr.

maybe I should U2U instead... for the sake of this thread... I see that RFBurns has made a reply.

(I want to hear about this Fry Street ghost because I haven't heard of that one.)

I found another tid bit on Wanda...

www.texasghosthunters.com...

scroll down to Denton.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I dropped out of college in 1992 with the youthful ideology of seeing the world and getting to know myself before wasting my money on classes for a major I wasn't sure of.

I went back after 10 years of travel and life experience, and was shocked at how insipid the classes I had to take in order to get my degree were.

They were literally at a junior high mentality, at best.

I have always taken my education seriously - but I refuse - FLAT OUT REFUSE - to put my hard earned money, time and brainpower into these classes where discussion and questions are verbotten, where the material covered can be gleaned from just picking up a book and reading at one's leisure, and then being expected to take classes and tests that cover material that has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with my chosen field of study.

Some days, I just want to slam my head against the wall for taking time out to travel - because back then, we didn't have the internet, text messaging, or any of these newer distractions.

But I'm glad I did take the time out. I learned more in those ten years in the real world than I ever could from a class.

The system is not only inexcusable in it's current state - it's downright frightening and absolutely reprehensible.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by RFBurns

Agreed, even if you don't know what career you want to go in by the age of 18, you know what you are good at and like to do, that you can put into a path of study.

Exactly, or apply towards vocational training or a job. It seems like most of those kids in that video were expressionless, almost looking like they were lost with no sense of direction for thought.

Its quite sad to see, because it shows us not just the problems that exsist in the college level, but what problems are obviously causing them stemming from the grade school levels.

Hope those kids find their way. Time flies by so fast and before they know it, the time to make a decision will have long past and it will be too late to play "catch up".

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
200 students from how many colleges? What size colleges?

All of my professors know my name, I read my textbooks because I really want to excel in my field and plan on doing so. Though there are a couple of classes that are unnecessary for the major most of them are related. Still not sure why I need to take two more "health" classes since I've been sitting in health classes since the 6th grade and already know as much as I can learn about drugs and STDs.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Doomsday I am going to U2U you because I do not want to type this out publically.

But "Fry Street Ghost" referes to this:

istoric Fry Street
A picture taken in the early 1920s of the area known as "Fry St."

Considered by many to be a cultural epicenter of Denton, the area surrounding Fry Street is home to a group of shops, bars, restaurants, and other cultural venues. Many of the buildings were originally constructed in the 1920s.
[edit] Redevelopment

In May 2006, the 100-block of Fry Street was purchased by United Equities, a Houston-based real estate company, which announced that several of the historic buildings would be demolished to accommodate a new mixed-use center. Known as Fry Street Village, the center would include lower level retail with apartments above. A grass roots effort by the non-profit organization Save Fry Street began soon thereafter seeking to preserve Fry Street as a historic and cultural icon for the city. The group was unsuccessful in preventing the demolition of two of the buildings, the Tomato Pizza restaurant and the Texas Jive bar. Most of the remaining businesses on the property were served with eviction notices with a vacating date of January 31, 2007, but it was not until May 2007 that businesses along Fry Street began to close. In June 2007, several local activists took over the gutted building that housed The Tomato Pizza, until the building burned in a raging arson fire on June 27, 2007. James Taylor Moseley, a local activist who had chained himself to The Tomato for three days, was arrested and accused of setting the fire.

[edit] Fry Street Fair

The Fry Street Fair was a mostly annual event held by the independent fraternity Delta Lodge. It was typically the most attended event of the year on Fry Street, with many bands performing. After two of the largest and most critically acclaimed fairs in 2001 and 2002, Fry Street Fair was moved to Deep Ellum in nearby Dallas due to overcrowding and complications with the city of Denton. However, a scaled-down version of the fair returned to the Fry Street area in 2005. In 2007, the Fry Street Fair moved yet again to the North Texas State Fairgrounds within the city. After losing money in both 2006 and 2007, the festival's creators announced that the fair would no longer be thrown.

I used to play music with the kid that started that fire.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

This is the type of reply I was looking for.

You have gained Wisdom. Not Knowledge.

Here is the difference.... Wisdom takes on Knowledge in this video.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
One of the finest films ever to grace the screen.

Thank you for your kind words, and that lovely reminder of what it is to truely know and understand this wonderful crazy thing called life.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I agree with General Eyes, absolutely brilliant movie.

As far as the initial video goes, after freshman year I only sign up for the classes where I know that the professors want to know my name; I read all of the assigned texts because even the most mundane and seemingly irrelevent information is useful; I study for Multiple Choice exams, even though I don't believe tests prove actual understanding of knowledge, because I would rather suffer a few years of inconvenience (as some might put it) than a lifetime of struggle.

I wish I didn't have to attend college honestly, but the majority of what was said in that video is, and coming from those of us in college who all appear to agree, a direct result of the actions of the students. Anyone who visits a college campus will see within 5 seconds where most, within my experience, of college students' priorities lie. That said, I don't readily much like the educational system and the insane emphasis on testing, etc. but that's a whole other issue.

On a side note, General Eyes, I just wanted to mention that I had been thinking of taking some time off of school to force myself to experience the real world--I have lived too sheltered a life and I hate not knowing for myself what real trouble is (as masochistic as that sounds, I love to experience things for myself, good and bad). So my question to you, if you don't mind answering, is:

Is the good that has come from your decision to drop out worth it to experience the hardships of reality? Or, if the resulting good is not what makes that decision worth it, what does?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander_Supertramp
Is the good that has come from your decision to drop out worth it to experience the hardships of reality? Or, if the resulting good is not what makes that decision worth it, what does?

Wow. Tough call.

All I can say to that is that it depends on where your priorities lie.

I really wish I had stayed in, because if trends continue like they have - things are going to move so fast it may be impossible to ever catch up once you've jumped the track.

If you're already in school - I'd encourage you to fight through the b.s. and get your degree, especially considering todays economic climate.

Traveling to round out your studies and thesis with a bit of real world perspective sounds easy enough, just always be cautious that the temptation to blow off school for "just another month/year" is very, very tempting.

Just be cautious, weigh your prorities carefully, and best of luck to you!

(p.s. - get your accredidations first! PLEASE!!!!)

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The topic of "What is this going to do for me in life" comes up so much in all of my classes. I am in high school, but I can see the relevance with the video and such.

First off, many things in school are to HELP YOU THINK.

You think you could go do calculus without having any type of mathematical background?

You think you can become an engineer without having any type of mathematical background?

You think you deserve to live in a workplace compared to hundreds of thousands of students who not only challenged themselves logically, but timely too?

You expect a teacher to remember (lets say 500 - could be way more or less) names when almost 80% of them sit and make no contact with the teacher?

While I am sure there are bad teachers out there, the education system despite its biases is practically the only way to help yourselves mentally. It is sad how many high school students take school in general as a joke and do not realize that the purpose of most of the things you learn in high school up until your major are to prepare you to think logically in order to perform such complicated tasks.

If a student plans on going to college I would expect of that person to make the best of that money being spent. Make relationships with your teachers, make friends, actually learn the subjects being taught, so none of that debt goes to waste.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Yeah, everything you learn can have practial value if you apply it.

Even if it doesn't, what's wrong with learning for learning's sake? (I know college is overpriced, but that's beside the point.)

Most of the time when I hear someone say "THe education system is biased and trying to turn out zombies!" that is being said by someone who is frustrated to be a part of it.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Like my wise dad told me once, "The West had it too good for too long."

And this video only confirms it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join