It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If someone wrote a new holy book would you believe it as you do the bible?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by wavejumper

I'm new to this site and this is the first thing I came across. Strangely I have been going on about this for years. The bible was written by men. That's it!! It's odd to me that people will believe what's in the bible and yet little or nothing in it can be varified or proved. We must also remember that these same men were pretty unelightened scientifically and they lived in a time when superstition was rife. It was not dificult to "start" a religion in those days: no one would accuse you of being "crazy" if God "spoke to you". You don't have to be an atheist to see the gaping holes in the bible.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
What this thread is really pointing out is that the bible has become a replacement for a personal relationship with the father.

A religion that talks about a personal relationship, but yet if it doesn't mean repeating bible scripture word for word it's rejected.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by wavejumper
If someone wrote a new holy book would you believe it as you do the bible?

No. These questions are easy so far!
This would take a blind faith, but I've never had a blind faith. I required a seeing faith. It makes me weaker in the faith department but stronger in the personal proof department. Between the two though, I'd now prefer faith.

What if someone wrote a new book and said god told me to write it. How many people would believe it?

They'd have to verify it...or at least they should.

If someone told you God spoke to them and told them to build a huge monument, would you believe them?

God doesn't ask people to do things pointlessly, that's not His character. I'd ask Him to confirm. It's puzzling that he'd tell someone else first when He can tell me directly, but maybe He wants them to be involved in some way.

Why are people like this nowadays looked at as crazy but if it happened a long time ago and you were hearing about it now you would probably believe it. why is this?

People don't change that much. The more we examine history the more things seem the same about human nature. This is why the Bible is 2,000 years old and yet still applies.

If I go to a hardcore religious person who quotes the bible and all that and tell him God told me to write something he would probably call the police on me.

I wouldn't. I've been asked to write down something and give it to someone else. What did He tell you to write?

Strange, If its old they were told to write it by god. If it happens now they were probably on drugs or insane.

Actually in the Bible the they were accused of the same:

"Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: "Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. These men are not drunk, as you suppose." - Acts 2:14-15

"You are out of your mind, Paul!" he shouted. "Your great learning is driving you insane."

"I am not insane, most excellent Festus," Paul replied. "What I am saying is true and reasonable." - Acts 26:24-26

[edit on 29-1-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I am very skeptical about everything I read, so my answer is no.

Joseph S. says to Martin H. "Here, write this down while I read to you the golden plates out of my hat using magic rocks."

J

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma

.. they are based on real events, but they are not the actual events. They are worded specifically to teach one about the Creator when they are ready to face the truth about themselves and the world around them.

I don't understand what you mean by this statement. Are you saying that the Tanakh is a set of allegories or parables?

What is the truth about ourselves and the world around us? Is it different for each person?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
all kinds of new holy books are written on an near daily basis someone believes them!

recently

the Quaran
the Book of Mormon
Dianetics

all founding documents of newer religions attracting gazillions of followers ,all of whom are as wrong and lead astray as those who have ever believed ,any of the other made up books of by gone days

it's all made up clap trap ,nobody really even needs a book to figure out simple things like don't kill ,don't steal ,don't lie < all these things carry their on punishments and consequences

it isn't Gods wrath it's the wrath of the ones you perpetrated your particular crime against that will come and get you.

Not one of these stories carries a grain of truth about the identity of any God, or the origins of this or any world

unless you're willing to believe that the world is balanced on the back of an Elephant that is standing on four turtles. Which was once accepted as truth and nothing but the truth by millions and millions ,and still is by some

anyway yes some will,not me

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Depends on the revelations he would share!

Most propably not.

Man has already in him all required. One has just got to open his mind to the depths of his soul. This is what i dig. It is just something that is too near us that we actually do neglect it..........

GEORGE THE GREEK

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by prjct

Would you mind explaining why you are asking him/her to 'please not' express thier opinion on a forum that is all about opinions? Fair enough if you do not agree but I think the fact that it angered you is something you should look into. If you are a follower of Jesus, ask yourself would Jesus deny someone an opinion?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join