It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

When will the topics be released?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

When the debates start, I imagine

You get 24 hours from the time the topic is posted until the first person's opening is due.

And I'm pretty sure we'll have 32 – and a really impressive lineup of newcomers

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Can I still get a spot ?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Never mind if ATS won't send me on a free trip to the Moon if I win, or a holiday on the beaches of Hawaii,(
) but without knowing the topics it's like I'm gonna be up sh!t creek without a paddle!! Jeeez! I mean I'm nix where political debates etc are concerned.

So do I need to take the plunge without first knowing the topics for the debate? Would spending a couple of hours at the bar with some chilled beer be better than knocking my sparse brains around on a subject I haven't a clue about?

Well that's debatable!!

Cheers!

[edit on 7-2-2009 by mikesingh]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

The whole point of the Debate Forum, is Debate.. Not Topics..

Just like in school, on any debate team, you never got your topics until the day of the debate and you never knew which side you had to defend.. Same principle, same goal.. Increase in topical knowledge, increase in ability to debate in a formal, controlled atmosphere.

With me it has been about 50/50 as far as topics go. About 50% of the time I get a side I agree with, the other 50%, not so much. About 50% of the time I get a topic I know anything about, etc..

So the point is not just debating in a comfortable arena, it is entering the new and exciting world of debates as a whole entity,,

Semper

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

OK! Thanks!
Count me in!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Welcome to the tournament Mike Singh...

And spending a few hours wrestling with a topic, agreed with or not, makes the beer taste better when you're done...

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I wanna join, it will be interesting debating an issue you have no knowledge of. Debating is not about topic, it's about twists and turns.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ownification
I wanna join, it will be interesting debating an issue you have no knowledge of. Debating is not about topic, it's about twists and turns.

The debate sign ups are closed though I recommend that you seek a Challenge Match at the Public Fight Club Pub...

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The Final Roster For The First Tournament Of 2009*
-----------------------------------------------------
Skyfloating 18 (possible 16/20- Vagabond)
The Vagabond 18 (possible 16/20- Skyfloating)
TruthWithin 14
chissler 13
Ian McLean 12
Maxmars 8
americandingbat 6 (possible 5/7- peacejet)
Heike 6 (possible 4/8- Orange-light)
Esdad71 6
maria_stardust 4
whatukno 4
44soulslayer 4
nyk537 4
orange_light 3 (possible 1/5- Heike)
schrodingers dog 2
enjoies05 2
TheWayISeeIt 2
OzWeatherman 2
wormwood13 2
TheMythLives (possible 1- peacejet)
questioningall (possible 2-neformore)
neformore (possible 2- questioningall)
antar (possible 2- frankidealist35)
Frankidealist35 (possible 2- antar)
Benarius (possible 2- skeptic1)
Doomsday2029
branh03
Anti - Government
one_man24
visible_villain
spliff4020
Mike Singh

Standbys
---------------------------------------------
lugarock
Grambler
kryties
supercertari

--------------------------------------------------------------------

* Please make special note that the above order will change due to debates that have yet to be resolved completely (as noted by the parenthesis)...which means the pairings aren't finalized yet...

We have decided upon a 32 Fighter tournament. It was just getting too complicated with ranked Fighters being over the 24 limit (as stated in the opening post of this thread) and rather than go through the painful process of deciding who goes where we decided to keep it all in one.

And due to the fact that we need a number of debates in each round to be an even number...there will be no byes. We tried the math and it just doesn't work if we include byes.

16 fights in the first round. Concerns were raised regarding the judging process being effected; Special attention will be given to the first round to insure that we maintain a reasonable amount of time for judgments to be completed and as fair/thorough as we have come to expect.

8 fights in the second round and so forth for a total of five rounds.

We have a very strong field this time around and I have to say that I am excited to see you guys battle it out; with returning powerhouses of the recent and not so recent past as well as a few renowned newcomers. This tourney pretty much guarentees a shuffling in the rankings and more importantly promises a treasure trove of objective analysis of the topics that the mainstream media and average citizen won't touch with a ten foot pole.

Ladies and Gentlemen...this is where we prove that our forum is the premier on ATS.

Please Continue Discussion At The Fight Club Pub

For Fighters who have yet to gain their Fighter title, please be patient as it is being attended to...

[edit on 11-2-2009 by MemoryShock]

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join