It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Have you been a member of ATS for awhile and have gotten used to the ebb and flow of discussion in our forums? Or perhaps you're frustrated with th fact that there are times when you just can't get involved in a valid discussion without someone playing the personal attack card, or you wish to test your rhetorical skills in an organized environment.

Or perhaps you would like to take your shot at unseating our current Champion?

Take your agruments to the next level by signing up here for debate on the alternative issues that you signed up to discuss.

The First Debate Tournament of 2009 will begin in mid February (Tentative for the 16th). We have enough spots to claim 24 Fighters. There should be plenty of spots, but sign up now as preference will be given based on experience. New debaters are on a first come first serve basis for spots not claimed by experienced debaters.

The tournament is seeded based on ranking, which is based largely on experience, so new debaters who wish to participate can benefit from arranging challenge matches now in order to gain ranking.

If you wish to participate, just say so in this thread, and make sure to check both this thread and the debate forum regularly for updates. I strongly recommend that participants add the debate forum to their MyATS display so that they will know when the debate threads are created and when their opponents respond.

Please consider whether or not you have the time to participate before you claim a spot. Debating is stimulating, but also demanding.

Debaters must respond to their opponent's posts within 24 hours. In my experience, a really good debate post takes between 1 and 3 hours to plan, research, and type up, depending on how tough your opponent is. Each round of the debate will require you to make 5 such posts within the space of 7-10 days. There will be 4 or 5 rounds, depending on how many fighters sign up.

That means that if you expect to win the tournament, you will need to devote at least 1 hour every other day for about 2 months. It is a single elimination tournament, so realistically, most participants will only have to make that commitment for a couple of weeks.

There are many on this site who 'get it'. Now is your chance, in an organized setting, to prove that you have what it takes.

We are the foremost forum on this site for reasoned and civilized debate on every subject.

Bring your 'A game' and prove your voice should be heard.

For those without 'Fighter' designation' but wish to compete, post here and your designation will be given.

Please, only serious contenders only.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Hello.

Can I play?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Count me in

[edit on 28-1-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
i am in!

WOW

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yay!

I'd like a spot too Mr. Shock

EDIT because TWISI had the guts to say what I didn't
1-3 hours are you kidding me? That wouldn't even cover the research for me. Dang geniuses

[edit on 1/28/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

1-3 hours?!! ... That's because you're a genius. I am in, but I promise you all that I will not be putting up a 'really good debate post' in 1-3 hours... 4-6 maybe and 'good' is subjective

I swear, If I didn't like you so much I would really resent you
j/k

[edit on 28-1-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
If you recall...I don't post for 24 hours usually...

I like taking my time...perhaps I should ammend that...

Edit to Add: I won't be participating in this tournament...

[edit on 28-1-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

I agree. 3 hours is like two paragraphs for me.
Why won't you be participating, MS? You always do, I thought.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I want to encourage new faces....

And I missed the last one two...

I will, of course, participate in Challenge Matches...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Why won't you be participating, MS?

He'll be exhausted after valentine's day!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Ah I see! Ok, carry on and the best of luck to all participants.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Sorry for my absence. I am SO in.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I'm in, but what subjects will we debate?

economy, 9-11, religion, NWO, what subjects are we going to debate?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029
I'm in, but what subjects will we debate?

economy, 9-11, religion, NWO, what subjects are we going to debate?

All and any subjects, randomly assigned.

Its more about refining ones debating skills than about which sides we have to debate. Some of them do relate to ATS-topics though.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Okay, I would like to try this, since I am a newbie, when will I know if I can participate in the debate?

One other question, is there a thread you can refer me to, where I can read more on how it works etc.

Thanks, hope I will get to play.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hey, there are many things I still obviously don't know, but another question.... how does someone get the "fighter" designation?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
questioningall: Since you have signed up this early in the process it is very likely that you will have a spot. Also, you seem to be a regular member and I expect a couple of new members consider the idea as good and then not check back after they have signed up.

For more information, Rankings, Rules, and Bill of Rights (revised 01/27/09)

And it is recommended to read some past debates to get a feel for the process and some of the people you may be paired against (also, the first post in each debate is a rundown of the specific rules that need to be adhered to in each debate; a good idea to be familiar with them...:up

The Debate Forum

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
Hey, there are many things I still obviously don't know, but another question.... how does someone get the "fighter" designation?

The designation will be assigned either just prior to the tournament or if/when you take on a Challenge Match...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I am interested. You can count me in.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
To all new-comers: A good way to learn about ATS-Debates is by looking at past Tournaments in the Forum.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join