It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your thoughts on stem cell research?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I'm more looking for the opinion of Christians and people of a Religious nature. To be more specific, I'm looking to see if those who are of the opinion that Abortion is wrong, think that stem cell research is not. All opinions are welcome though =). Please just try and refrain from turning this thread into a pro choice, anti-abortion thread. It's been done, beatin to death, and I would like that anyone posting on this thread "agree to disagree" in regards to that issue. Thank you in advance.

Now personally I am a strong opponent of abortion and feel it has reached a mass murder epidemic. I have adopted 2 children and have one of my own, all who I love equally.

However I am a little torn on this subject of stem cell research. My strongest argument to pro choice individuals is that once the sperm and egg combine it is life, that will continue on for many many years till it's natural death. Stem cells are obtained from a donor males sperm, and a donor females egg. The two are combined and begin the process of making a baby. The process is then terminated at 3 days (might be wrong but I think 16 days is the max) and the stem cells are retrieved for medical use. Now, since this is done in a lab, obviously the cells will reach a point where the mom is needed to continue to develop. So the potential for life is not at all there. I think if there is a god, he is wonderful in his knowledge and must understand that saving a life with cells is great. I feel to this is great. My only worries are it being abused. I see a big gate opening and feel that the individuals opening it will not have the same regard for abuse in this mater as I do.

Your thoughts and comments?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
My understanding is that stem cells could be collected from unused embryos from fertility clinics.
When people are trying to have a baby at a clinic, they may fertilize more eggs than can be used. Then, not all the fertilized eggs are implanted.

The question that I think needs to be addressed is what happens to those left over fertilized eggs.

Are they just disposed of as medical waste?
If that's the case I'd rather see them get used for stem cells.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ciphor

I'm more looking for the opinion of Christians and people of a Religious nature.

I don't fit into your demographic...but that is a good thing. The more POV's you have the better off you are - right..?

No arguments here - only common sense. Though that may 'cause an argument itself...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
IMO, stem cell research will pave the way for the release of much needed cures for diseases such as Alzheimers and Cancer. It allows us to create whatever kind of cells we want, and implant them to do certain things.

Now this is important for two reasons. First, we not only get to use the cells for patients, we also can study them and see how diseases evolve and interact with healthy cells, giving us answers to questions such as how these diseases propagate and what triggers them.

Now they are taken from un-used eggs from Vitro Fertilization, they use to do it in the way you described, but i believe that was discontinued due to the whole, your taking a life issue.

Wiki-Stem Cells

TextThere exists a widespread controversy over human embryonic stem cell research that emanates from the techniques used in the creation and usage of stem cells. Human embryonic stem cell research is controversial because, with the present state of technology, starting a stem cell line requires the destruction of a human embryo and/or therapeutic cloning. However, recently, it has been shown in principle that adult stem cell lines can be manipulated to generate embryonic-like stem cell lines using a single-cell biopsy similar to that used in preimplantation genetic diagnosis that may allow stem cell creation without embryonic destruction.[33] It is not the entire field of stem cell research, but the specific field of human embryonic stem cell research that is at the centre of an ethical debate.

I'm sorry i didn't realize you only wanted a one sided view of the issue. Asking on Christians to respond will result in the same answer.

[edit on 1/28/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The church and most christians are behind stem cell research. Many disease treatments already comprise of stem cell treatments, although these stem cells come from already living humans. What they fight against is embryonic stem cell research, i.e taking these stem cells from embryos.

Embryonic stem cells that are used for research do no tcome abortion clinics. They come from fertility clinics which assist people to have children. The way the process works is that they fertilize many eggs in order to increase the chances of success. As a result they end up with fertilized eggs that are not needed. The embryonic stem cells are taken from these before they are destroyed.

It is my opinion you are better off using that fertilized egg for something productive before you destroy it. If they want to consider the destruction of these embryos as abortion, then they should be arguing against assisted pregnancy and fertility clinics rather than against embryonic stem cell research, because even with no ESC research, these embryos are destined for the trash bin.

top topics

join