It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Arabs: US Isn't Your Enemy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Obama to Arabs: US Isn't Your Enemy

www.military.com

January 27, 2009
Associated Press

CAIRO, Egypt - President Barack Obama chose an Arabic satellite TV network for his first formal television interview as president, part of a concerted effort to repair relations with the Muslim world that were damaged under the previous administration.

Obama cited his Muslim background and relatives, practically a taboo issue during the U.S. presidential campaign, and said in the interview, which aired Tuesday, that one of his main tasks was to communicate to Muslims "that the Americans are not your enemy."

The interview on the Dubai-based Al-Arabiya news channel aired as Obama's new envoy to the region, former Sen. George J. Mitchell, arrived in Egypt on Tuesday for a visit that will also take him to Israel, the West Bank, Jordan, Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well this is interesting. President Obama according to this Associated Press article is communicating his common ties to the Muslim world and a direct understanding that U.S. relations with the Arab World were much stronger and healthier decades ago and could be again.

So far President Obama has not done anything concrete to alter the depth of our ties with Israel and U.S. support for their policies which is causing the Arabs to be lukewarm in reveiving his Presidency as opposed to much of Europe, Africa and Latin America whose enthusiasm and optimism is significant and notable.

It will be interesting to see if President Obama can walk that thin and challenging line of meeting the American Jewish Lobby's expectations while offering something tangible enough to overcome Arab skepticism.

I for one will be impressed if he can.

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Well this is very encouraging, and I don't doubt that Obama is very committed to diplomacy, peace and better ties with the Middle east. However i'm worried that Israel shall do something hasty and America will be pressured into helping them and thereby further alienate the progressive countries in the middle east, or Iran and Saudi Arabia will try to 'push their luck' and see what they can get from a more permissive president.

Now i truly hope his stance will work, and i'm sure it will, but just the fact that Iran has now demanded an apology from the United States over the past relations and actions of America lends weight to my fears that the U.S is going to be 'tested'.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Actually the sucking sound that I am hearing coming from him, as he kisses up to the aribic/muslum community is sickening to me.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by KnowMore

No doubt. Let's just nuke 'em, right? Screw talking. Maybe we can just water board the entire race.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Why shouldn't he reach out? If you're going to victimise a whole religion just because of a few people that twist doctrine then we could go against Christianity or Judaism. Every culture, every religion, every ideology has it's bad eggs. Unless we reach out then the violence will continue, more young people WILL get radicalised and hatred will continue - on both sides.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Venit

Well this is very encouraging, and I don't doubt that Obama is very committed to diplomacy, peace and better ties with the Middle east. However i'm worried that Israel shall do something hasty and America will be pressured into helping them and thereby further alienate the progressive countries in the middle east, or Iran and Saudi Arabia will try to 'push their luck' and see what they can get from a more permissive president.

It is kind of encouraging and I have to admitt it makes me want to hold my breath for fear like you point out anything might disturb or disrupt those efforts. I can only hope the effort on Obama's part is genuine and one he is resolved towards.

Now i truly hope his stance will work, and i'm sure it will, but just the fact that Iran has now demanded an apology from the United States over the past relations and actions of America lends weight to my fears that the U.S is going to be 'tested'.

As difficult as it is to admitt Iran isn't far off base in some of it's accusations or demands. It's hard not to reject them simply because of the source and if you are an American like I am it's human nature to want to defend mistakes and thinking to justify them rather than accept criticism that might make you want to rectify them.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

No doubt. Let's just nuke 'em, right? Screw talking. Maybe we can just water board the entire race.

I couldn't quite tell if you were being serious or sarcastic! I am guessing the latter and starred you for the humor. I think we need to put more emphassis on diplomacy.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
maybe a bit off topic but mitchell was fairly involved in the Northern Ireland peace process, i think, a good guy for the position if you want to try to broker peace.
nice appointment.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

No doubt. An ingenious appointment. Back to the roots of skillful diplomacy.

[edit on 1/28/2009 by Irish M1ck]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnowMore
Actually the sucking sound that I am hearing coming from him, as he kisses up to the aribic/muslum community is sickening to me.

Dont worry, Im sure you will find someone else to join in the hate against something. There are always more people wanting more wars out there, you'll find someone. Maybe you can have a war against people who wear blue shirts.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Let's just see if Obama is action, and not just talk.

Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

maybe a bit off topic but mitchell was fairly involved in the Northern Ireland peace process, i think, a good guy for the position if you want to try to broker peace. nice appointment.

Actually the article mentions that Arabs are somewhat encouraged by the appointment of Mitchell to the region as a peace negotiator.

It all in part is going to boil down to how anxious and desirous the opposing factions are for peace. True peace and not just a battle victory in the propoganda wars while behind the scenes everyone and their brother tries to undermine it or disparage it.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Daystar

Let's just see if Obama is action, and not just talk.

I truly have my own reservations about this too. I am unsure whether things like this are genuine overtures or simply ploys to disarm people and grant more time and patience while the status quo stays the same or worsens along the way.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Daystar

We can only wait and see. I wouldn't recommend holding your breath either. This mess is going to take a long time to clean it up, if he even can.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

It all in part is going to boil down to how anxious and desirous the opposing factions are for peace.

a lesson learned from northern ireland is that the people, the ordinary person on the street, is always, always very anxious and desirous for a just peace.

the challange, i believe, is not to convince the normal joe soap that they should accept peace but to convince them that you can deliver a just peace.

this is a really, really great first step in climbing that mountain.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

At last a President who seems to understand.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

Another very wise observation, thanks!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

this is a really, really great first step in climbing that mountain.

I have to admitt I am pleasantly surprised. It would have been political suicide for him to openly stress his Muslim roots during the campaign for the White House. It took some real courage to come out and stress them during his satellite address.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnowMore

It is ARABIC and Muslim(American Spelling)/ Moslem(English Spelling).
KnowMore your ignorance shows. And no one will accept lectures from one whose ignorance is pervasive. People with your views don't solve problems. They complain and ridicule and offer nothing in the way of solutions. If you have a better way then pipe up, spreading hate and ignorance like this is no way to solve our problem in the MUSLIM world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join