It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax Refunds Now on Hold in California

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
Ex

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Off Topic..........

This reminds me of the guy they sent a picture of his license plate
saying he had sped through an intersection and the camera had caught it.
He sent them a picture of the fifty dollars!

They found it NOT funny...............I did!!!!! LMAO

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This looks like just the beginning of some serious problems for CA. I have a friend who works as a prison guard - they are also being asked to take IOU's as pay. He says that a bunch of them will be walking. Another friend who worked for the state some 30 years ago said that she took a couple IOU's at one time during a CA crisis. I don't see this as a temporary crisis though. How can it be - given all of the folks out of work - etc... Interesting times. Really interesting.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Oh yay, another "take that, you liberal pussies" bashfest about California is on the way.

Whatever. I've gone through the statistics on similar threads before. If you think we have it bad, and all of us are so married to the concept of unlimited debt and defaults while we kick back in coastline trailer parks, wait until the same hits you at home.

I think you guys would do well to deny ignorance, yeah?

[edit on 29-1-2009 by SpencerJ]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Clearly the events in Californication are just the tip of the iceberg. Undoubtedly, other states will eventually follow in lock step with the "If Cali. can do it, so can we mentality".

Cali better look out. The Urban dwellers of California have rioting down to a science. When reality finally hits, the Rodney King fiasco is going to look like child's play. The have-nots will head for the hills to get what they want and need.

California got what it has voted for time and time again.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I get a laugh at these posters who bash California,obviously they have never left their backward state,majority of people here are hard working,some do drink imported beers some don't we do have rich people here,and if they can afford it so what,obviously they drink them in other states as well,and I drink regular coffee,you can bet if California goes under the rest of the states will follow suit,big deal I never get much back from the state,it will be kind of cool to have an IOU,I have money but never had an IOU,the states in trouble and we Californians try to repair things before they get out of hand your backwards rural states are clueless and are hiding the fact they are too going broke,so before stereotyping a Californian ,walk a mile in his Sperry topsiders

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I am glad I don't live in CA that is for sure!!!!!!!! You know they would save a lot of time and money if this tax thing was taken care of during the year rather then all at once at the end. Why do they have to take money out to give some back to people? Duhhh, just don't take out everything. All this technology, but they can't figure out a better way to do this?

Everybody better be careful. Soon there will be NO tax refunds, unless you are on welfare. They will be giving $ to people who don't pay taxes. You watch and see.

I did my returns and the extra $300.00 I got back last year, I had to pay back this year!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
I get a laugh at these posters who bash California,obviously they have never left their backward state,majority of people here are hard working,some do drink imported beers some don't we do have rich people here,and if they can afford it so what,obviously they drink them in other states as well,and I drink regular coffee,you can bet if California goes under the rest of the states will follow suit,big deal I never get much back from the state,it will be kind of cool to have an IOU,I have money but never had an IOU,the states in trouble and we Californians try to repair things before they get out of hand your backwards rural states are clueless and are hiding the fact they are too going broke,so before stereotyping a Californian ,walk a mile in his Sperry topsiders

Are you that blind to assume that any state other than California is backwards and rural? You must live in Orange county if you really believe that one. Look at your own state in regards to backwards and rural.

Clearly Cali is beyond help. I think you missed the boat to "try to repair things before they get out of hand". I think issuing IOU's to taxpayers is considered getting out of hand. What are they putting in the Orange Juice out there??

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Are you that blind to assume that any state other than California is backwards and rural? You must live in Orange county if you really believe that one. Look at your own state in regards to backwards and rural.

Way to miss the point completely. He was commenting on the fact that so many of you who have never lived here think that watching Laguna Beach means you have the right to paint us as lazy, spoiled, rich cosmopolites. Clearly, you have just proven this is the case.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

...and right there, in a nutshell, you have exactly the reason why those of us who grew up in those "backwards" states which neighbor California HATE the state of California and steriotype you. The arrogant Californian is actually far worse than the arrogant Texan, in my opinion. The main reason is the arrogant Texans doesn't give two damns what the rest of the nation does so long as they leave Texas alone. The arrogant California, however, wants the rest of the nation to "follow California's lead" and adopt the "California is so great!" mentallity.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpencerJ
reply to post by jibeho

Way to miss the point completely. He was commenting on the fact that so many of you who have never lived here think that watching Laguna Beach means you have the right to paint us as lazy, spoiled, rich cosmopolites. Clearly, you have just proven this is the case.

I have friends and family that have lived and currently live in Cali. I form my opinions based on their rotten experiences in California. Your hyperinflated real estate markets have crippled them all. They now have mind numbing negative equity in their homes in San Diego and San Jose.

What is Laguna Beach?? Is that like Bay Watch? I thought everyone in California either surfed or was a lifeguard. Driving your convertibles and wearing swimsuits all day must be fun.

It is wrong to assume that anyone who chooses not to visit your bankrupt state is backwards and rural. I am proud to live in a predominantly rural state. We do have our "Big Cities" though and I sure do like gassin up the Allis Chalmers to head downtown. I luv lookin at all dem big tall buildins wit shiny glass and bright lights from time to time. How do day get dem tall buildings to get so high without fallin over? I sure can't stack my hay bails that high.

I never called anyone lazy, spoiled, or rich "cosmopolites" (cosmopolitans is the word you were looking for). So don't fabricate BS to make your point. Although, Lazy probably sums up half of Southern California and all of Berkley.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I have friends and family that have lived and currently live in Cali. I form my opinions based on their rotten experiences in California. Your hyperinflated real estate markets have crippled them all. They now have mind numbing negative equity in their homes in San Diego and San Jose.

What is Laguna Beach?? Is that like Bay Watch? I thought everyone in California either surfed or was a lifeguard. Driving your convertibles and wearing swimsuits all day must be fun.

Here we go again.

It is wrong to assume that anyone who chooses not to visit your bankrupt state is backwards and rural. I am proud to live in a predominantly rural state. We do have our "Big Cities" though and I sure do like gassin up the Allis Chalmers to head downtown. I luv lookin at all dem big tall buildins wit shiny glass and bright lights from time to time. How do day get dem tall buildings to get so high without fallin over? I sure can't stack my hay bails that high.

Look, I never said that about any other state, buddy. You did. My state, to be exact. I'll excuse the lost reference or two on your behalf, but honestly, if it's wrong to assume that anyone who is not in our state is "backwards and rural", then it should also be agreed that stereotyping Californians as you have twice now is wrong. Generalizing makes you look like an idiot.

I never called anyone lazy, spoiled, or rich "cosmopolites" (cosmopolitans is the word you were looking for).

No, I think I know what word I'm looking for. Cosmopolite. You should read a dictionary before you make blind assumptions, like you first assumed OldTimer of doing. Granted, he's not scott-free, but neither are you.

So don't fabricate BS to make your point.

Lol?

Originally posted by jibeho I thought everyone in California either surfed or was a lifeguard.
Driving your convertibles and wearing swimsuits all day must be fun.

Seems pretty much implied there buddy. There's also what you say in the very next sentence:

Although, Lazy probably sums up half of Southern California and all of Berkley.

Look, I know to you, arguing over the internet about things that are greater than your understanding may sound easy, but it just makes you seem like a douche when you're wrong.

But please, do go on generalizing. I can as well. Because if we Californians are collectively responsible for our failed politicians (even the voters who did not elect those currently in office), then the same can be applied to all the states.

No, I do not excuse the situation my state is in, nor am I a welfare statist or a "follow my lead" arrogant liberal, so please, scratch those off your straw man tactics in the future if you intend to keep up your little "California has it coming" rant.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
This year, I'm going to get one of those IOUs.

No banks want them.

No business will take them.

What good is an IOU ?

Who do you even collect that IOU from?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by Wildbob77
This year, I'm going to get one of those IOUs.

No banks want them.

No business will take them.

What good is an IOU ?

Right now with my first pass thorugh It looks like I owe about $300 to California. Im not paying untill April 15th. Im betting they will not release the money untill after that date. WHo want to pay the state early?

Can you send CA an IOU on April 15th? I mean it only seems fair.

Just one more reason I'm sooooo glad I left there in 2005.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I posted this elsewhere, but just for you here it is again.

CA is going down the tubes now for a simple reason. Net payers of taxes to CA like me and many companies are leaving CA. We are being replaced by net users of tax money - illegals and poor people having many kids. You do the math. Already CA can no longer support its infrastructure and is defaulting on loans made to its citizens (tax refunds) and getting ready to furlough state workers. Think about it, the furloughed workers are likely to move to another state and therefore make CA's situation even worse in a spiral down to total collapse.

I'll be honest and say I didn't think we'd see the default this quickly, but there it is.

My advice, get out if and while you still can.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Then what's going to happen when we've all turned tail and ran from the state? It's just gonna be magically self-contained? No, it's going to ripple through the rest of the country.

Illegals- we're not the only ones having problems with them.

But the rest of what you said was spot on.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join