It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody Have An Extra 525$? You'll Never Believe Why I Need It!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
So glad to see this forum here, I really need to SCREAM.

Just when you think things can't get worse some little nugget comes up to bite you on the fanny!!

The other day while running my errands I stopped at my pharmacy to pick my son's monthly prescription up, one that he takes routinely to help manage his autism.

I knew there was a problem when the pharmacist questioned the insurance card. After 45 minutes I learned that the benefits had cancelled unexpectedly and I no longer had coverage. Knowing what I know of Insurance, resolution would require more than a quick cell phone call that I could make from the store. I then told the pharmacist I would pay out of pocket. Imagine my surprise when he said "well it's really expensive it's 525$" I almost hit the floor. Quick thinking told me to purchase only a few tablets, just enough to allow time to solve the insurance glitch. If coverage had indeed lasped it would take a few days for it to go back through the system. Being safe I asked to buy 5 tablets. He rang me up and said "O.K., that will be $92.40. WHAT!!!
"There had to be a mistake right?" There is no way!!" I was on the verge of shouting at this man. We ran the numbers again and sure enough the price I was quoted was correct. He then explained, because more and more people are purchasing partial prescriptions, the pharmaceutical companies are jacking up the prices!!!

Realizing, my son needed his medicine, I had no other choice but to suck it up and pay. Thankfully, I was able to do so.

I still can't believe that they can get away with this

I think it is absolutely CRIMINAL!!. Is there any type of regulations for Pharm. Co.?

We tried switching to another med. In the same class, but the results were quite poor.
This particular medication is the only one we found would work.

Still it is sickening!! Why so much? This is just WRONG!!
I mean who can afford this?

Thanks, for letting me get this off my chest.

Paxnatus

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Wow, just wow.

Personally, I would start looking into alternative medicines. There is a holistic equal to the pharmaceutical you have been dealing with. The chemical compound of the prescription medicine was extracted from a plant, and refined for the medical chemical.

Finding the source of this compound might be a easier way to use it.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I think the best move you can make is to bill the medicine to Brother Barry the Prez in the Big White Crib in D.C.. He promised the U.S. that we wouldn't have to worry about anything like this if he were elected.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
There are many sources on the net that have valuable natural remedies that more people need to be made aware of. Here are two good sources
www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com...
www.curezone.com...
This is a recipe that helps to remove heavy metals from the body using cilantro.
owen.curezone.com...
You can get rid of fluoride in the body as well using iodine or borax
People need to stock up on natural remedies now before this kicks in making alternative medicine a crime
Codex Alimentarius

Also, see that your child is getting the minerals he needs. Most people are greatly lacking in magnesium and other minerals because of their diets. If you use the cilantro recipe you will have to replace good minerals that will also be affected.
People have to get away from the drugs and doctors and take their health back!
If you do your research you will find many things that will help to lessen or eliminate many of the symtoms. Buying from the pharmaceutical companies will only hold you hostage until they throw another roadblock in your path. All the best to you ....God bless

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Everyday I see more and more examples of giant corporations screwing the population. As they say, money is power.

I hope they don't sleep at night on their multimillion dollar yachts.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yeah, I'd call that pretty infuriating. I've been through similar events, myself and one really recently that's too long and boring to go into here.

I don't know what I hate more at this point, the insurance companies or Big Pharm. Or the big Wall Street speculators. Or crooked politicians. Or international bankers. Or...

[It's a long list. I'll stop now.]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Nothing personal but be STRONGLY aware of the herbals and alternatives. They are not the same as the medical grade and they have no restriction on dosing so you may be getting into something dangerous. The herbals may be similiar but the medical grade is more thank likely a safer derivative which is controlled by your doctor

just my two cents though

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Yeah, I'd call that pretty infuriating. I've been through similar events, myself and one really recently that's too long and boring to go into here.

I don't know what I hate more at this point, the insurance companies or Big Pharm. Or the big Wall Street speculators. Or crooked politicians. Or international bankers. Or...

[It's a long list. I'll stop now.]

No, you can go on!! I feel ya!! You are so right. If you look at the world around us. Everyone, that seems to be the power mongers are 'screwing' us!

The whole place is going to 'hell in a handbasket'

Next they'll be charging for our kids to get a watered down mediocre education in K-12!!

I don't know, It just seems like anything for a buck. Forget morals or ethics!!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Hi pax,
Did you find out what the deal is with your insurance company.
I know they're all crooked bastards but they still have to send you written notification of any change in your policy. If they just up and took away benefits like thieves in the night you do have legal recourse.
SD

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Hi pax,
Did you find out what the deal is with your insurance company.
I know they're all crooked bastards but they still have to send you written notification of any change in your policy. If they just up and took away benefits like thieves in the night you do have legal recourse.
SD

Thank you SD! I'm so sick and tired of the bureaucracy of Insurance companies, but to answer your question yes and no

It was a COBRA policy because my husbands company folded 12 months ago. He is currently working in a brand new company as a contract worker, so they don't offer benefits.

Anyway, the policy does not end for another 3 months. When he called the insurance co.after being switched from ext. to ext. a dozen times and repeating the same diatribe, he was told to contact his old employer and speak with them. Well when he did this of course, the new person is out sick...blah,blah!blah you know the same old run around. We are still waiting to hear back because the employer is "looking into it"

Needless to say I'm still waiting. It's ridiculous

We received NOTHING!! No notice whatsoever!! Not even phone call. How can they do this?

There has been some good news though, I called the doctor and explained what happened. He then called a drug rep.to bring samples to the office. Also told me that the drug company has a patient assistance program which is income based.
I've applied, don't know if we qualify probably make too much, but maybe we will get a little off the original price!
I'm praying!!

I am totally PO' d' at the Insurance company!! They won't talk to me because I'm not the primary policy holder. as I'm sure many can imagine, I have redefined the word NAG!! Driving my husband crazy with staying on him to stay on them.

Surely there is something more I can do. I feel helpless!

Would love to know my legal recourse. Can you u2u me SD and explain options? .

Thank you everyone for letting me vent. Your thoughtful replies have really helped lift my spirits.

Pax

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Hey pax,

I'm glad that you have a little bit of good news.

I must tell you pax that I am not a lawyer.

Having said that, you should investigate the fine print in your insurance documents. They have to describe the procedure for any changes or termination of policy. If they have not adhered to those procedures hire a lawyer for one hour to draft a legal document stating that they are in breach of contract and ANY health/financial consequence of their actions as to the health of your son will be pursued via litigation.

They are something else those people. They will often pull crap like this just to test your fortitude and will to fight back.

I really hope you can work this out. I'm here if you need to vent.

SD

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
You have my sympathy! Big Pharma and those insurance companies are truly evil incarnate.

That being said, I agree, go the natural route.

It is safer to use homeopathic medicines than herbs for a child, though. The dosage is standardized and has little to no side effects. Try to speak to go to a homeopath or osteopath if you can, or at least ask one for advice.

Best regards.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I gotta say I honestly disagree. I think herbals are fabulous for relief of cold symptoms or maybe some Valerian Root for some mild sleeplessness but for serious diseases, especially psychiatric, herbals are a bad bad idea. These 'all-natural' herbs are may be safe to ingest but there is zero regulation with them.

External Link

This is a fine link with what I am getting at.

Quote from the article

"You know more about what is in a bag of Doritos than what's in an herbal product touted to treat and prevent disease," said David J. Kroll, PhD, an adjunct associate professor of medicine at Duke University Medical Center, "When it comes to herbs, the consumer is unprotected and essentially on their own. There's no guarantee these products are safe or effective."

The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA), passed in 1994, does not include an FDA requirement that manufacturers of herbs and other dietary supplements prove their products are safe or effective before they hit the shelves. The Act encourages disclosure of information to consumers, but the lack of research requirements give herbal makers the freedom to make general health claims on their labels. For example, a product can advertise that it has a calming effect but not that it can be used to treat anxiety disorders. Consequently, some manufacturers make unsubstantiated treatment claims leaving countless consumers confused about what these "all-natural" products can and can not do for their health.

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Kyo:

That is why I advise using homeopathic medicines for kids.

That IS regulated and the dosage IS standardized though.

The thing about herbals that the critics don't pick up on, though is that if one does the research that he should before he actually goes to use the herbs, he'll be okay.

Medicine on what herbs do what is readily availible. So is information on potential dangers on specific plants.

Most of the time when I hear of someone who had a bad reaction to herbs, I find that they were either using it improperly or didn't take the time to research its effects.

For instance--a TV special I saw about a girl who used a bloodroot tincture in her nose and had a serious reaction--she was stupid. Bloodroot is very acidic and is advised to be used with great caution in every book I have read, and I can't see what possessed her to put it up her nose, especially in tincture form. But it is probably onyl 1% of herbs that even have the potential to do this kind of serious reaction.

Obviously one should contact a doctor if they have a serious ailment--but let's face it, Kyo, with the medical industry like it is many of us can't even afford to do that any more. Thus I have seen a greater reliance on natural products.

It is also true that some of them may be polluted, but I think that is a small price to pay, considering what pharmaceuticals can do. Most herbs can be grown at home, too; if one is that concerned about toxins.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I've induced autism within my own self and had been on meds at one time and they never fix the actual problem.

Your son is not ill - he is gifted and the world cannot understand his beautiful mind because it doesn't conform to their system.

They will try to screw you over when they have no concept of how the mind even works. They only know how to subdue it and control it externally, not internally.

The pharma companies should be kissing your childs feet.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
We may need to define what you consider homeopathic medicines just in case I am mistaken.

If we do define them correctly (things such as Valerian Root, St John's Wort and so on) then I have to disagree.

I chose this link because it has many references that are official (despite the name Quackwatch.org)

Here are the highlights I found

"Since many homeopathic remedies contain no detectable amount of active ingredient, it is impossible to test whether they contain what their label says. Unlike most potent drugs, they have not been proven effective against disease by double-blind clinical testing. In fact, the vast majority of homeopathic products have never even been tested; proponents simply rely on "provings" to tell them what should work. "

"In 1990, an article in Review of Epidemiology analyzed 40 randomized trials that had compared homeopathic treatment with standard treatment, a placebo, or no treatment. The authors concluded that all but three of the trials had major flaws in their design and that only one of those three had reported a positive result. The authors concluded that there is no evidence that homeopathic treatment has any more value than a placebo [2]."

"In 2007, another review team concluded that homeopathic provings have been so poorly designed that the data they have generated is not trustworthy [8]."

"An official from the FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research replied that several dozen homeopathic products were approved many years ago, but these approvals were withdrawn by 1970 [13]. In other words, after 1970, no homeopathic remedy had FDA as "safe and effective" for its intended purpose."

So the FDA does not actually approve or regulate any of them. They are poorly researched.

If we do agree on the definition then we'll have to simply disagree because all signs point to zero regulation of efficacy.

-Kyo

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
i totally agree with kyo on this. I myself have experienced idosyncracies to the most mild herbs out there.
My son's case is complicated with many symptoms and difficulties. He is on a gluten free diet, which helps and he takes fish oil that is formulated for children provided by his developmental pediatrician. We also avoid all artificial dyes esp. Red#40, and anything containing MSG. He does not like dairy so casein(sp) is not a problem.

I know there is not regulation by FDA on most herbs. Infact,
I remember reading about a 35yr.woman, who was perfectly healthy, stopped at a covenience store and picked up one of those ephedra like stimulants for a pick me up. After ingesting 2 or 3 doses over a 48 hr. period, she became very ill and ended up needing a liver transplant because the energy concotion contained kava. Thankfully she received the transplant and is healthy.

It's much too risky to experiment on a child with herbal type remedies. Even when Big Pharma, is really sticking it to you.

Thank you, to all those who suggested homeopathic type treatments. I have to pass on this.

Pax

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Homeopathic remedies are substances very diluted that would typicall cause an adverse reaction in the body. The idea is "like-cures-like": to introduce just enough of the substance to cause the body to react, and fix the problem in question.

Where we will have to disagree is in our idea that the FDA exists to protect us; they are the ones that have approved aspartame, MSG, Vioxx, numerous antidipressants, and other drugs that are known to be harmful, but are cash cows. Herbs are for the most part harmless but present a significant reduction to the FDA and their investor's profits, so the FDA of course does all they can to label them as harmful.. :shk:

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

You are doing the right thing by changing his diet but as I said herbal and homeopathic medicines are not the same thing, that is why I reccomend you go to an actual naturopath if you can.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Then we definately are talking about the same thing. With something this dire I think homeopathy would be bad. I can't deny that the FDA may have some fat cats but it still remains that the homeopathics aren't regulated. Also, in the reports it discusses the dilution levels are incredibly small and that they are basically working on the placebo effect.

But hey...nice to see disagreement without beligerence eh? :-p

-Kyo

top topics

join