It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools can expel students that 'seem gay', appeals court rules

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
being guilty of " seeming to be gay " is UTTER TWADDLE

I have just run a mental ` slide show ` of friends and aquaintances through my head - and only one ONE out of the 8 people i know to be homosexual actually ` seems gay ` , how ever 4 out of the 30 random other contacts that i am pretty certan are hetrosexual do quallify as ` seeming gay ` - or at least their sexuality has been questioned more than once

` seeming gay ` is such a vague and open ended criteria that actually tells you as much about the psychology of the " inquisitor " who is ` ranking gayness ` than the actuall ssexual orientation of the accused

at least if you are attempting to determine obesity or physical fitness there are scientific criteria - if you want to exclude the ` physically unfit ` - its pretty easy to set a ` run 1 mile in < 7 minuites ` challenge

but how do you rate " gayness "

and lastly - WTH are they excluding gays ? presumably they are going to give a biblical justification

ok - so they get rid of the ` gays ` who is next ? the people who wear mixed fibres ? or the ones who shave thier beards ?

if you are going to follow " biblical teaching " you have to follow it all - not just cherry pick the bits you like

chuffing idiots

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
OK , so does that mean that the kids can sue the school if they think the teacher's 'seem' to look like paedo's ?
Or if the teacher's 'seem' to make a homophobic comment?
Or 'seem' to look at the children in an 'uncomfortable way?.

Swings both ways if I were a child at that school.

Besides seeing as it's a PRIVATE school they can make the rules up as they go, it's paid for ,,, AAHHHH so thats the idea, The school collects the joining fees and then can later dismiss the student for 'seeming' to be gay and keep the fees.
what a wicked idea ...

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Bottom line, like someone else said, private schools are a risky idea to start with. Where will it all end - with a madrassa teaching terrorism techniques, or some christian version thereof? Just because its all legal?
Maybe it shouldn't be so legal.
Anything calling itself a "school" to indoctrinate young children should be subject to very strict overseeing by the state for qualities and standards, whether it is religious or not.
The "religious" part of the indoctrination should be left to the church/mosque/synagogue/temple itself.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Private schools should be forbidden from discriminating on this matter. What's wrong with these people? A child is a child is a child!

This kind of arbitrary rule really irritates the heck out of me!

What the heck does seeming gay mean anyway. I reckon it is dirty teachers and school governors sublimating their sick thoughts on youngsters.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
second, while church run institutions claim freedom to form their own beliefs because they do not get direct government funding, they do get relief from paying taxes, a significant benefit; and they get all the social benefits paid for by taxes -- roads, utilities, law enforcement.
Religious freedom is not without limits.

I totally agree with you; however, you are incorrect here. A lot of churches DO get funding from the government. If the church is incorporated, which most are, they are eligible to receive government funding. I personally make it a point to check that first before attending a church because I do not wish to worship in a church that has any affiliation what so ever with the government. Mainly for this reason, you cannot accept money from the government without being subject to them and/or influenced by them.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by just_julie

No you could not because you would be harming something; however, teaching kids that being gay is wrong is legal because it is based on religish beliefs. You do not have to agree with the belief but you are required to not force your beliefs on them. They are not forcing their beliefs on anyone else.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

If you are offended by this you obviously have issues with people who believe differnetly than you. "If you do not agree with me you are bad person" is what you seem to have. More importantly who cares if you are offended if you do not like their views DO NOT send your kids there.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarrylGalasso
I guess under your belief system it should be legal to have sex with animals and even children for that matter, cause hey, the person was born with a sexual preference for animals or children right? Or is this one of those cases where it's only right if it fits into your belief system?

This is truly a statement that only a man with no argument would make. You cannot compare bestiality and pedophilia to two consenting adults. This "argument" is made in every thread relating to homosexuality, and it always loses.

I have nothing against gay people, in my mind they are just as free as me and have the right to have sex with any other consenting adult they choose; but come on, stop trying to make excuses for why they are gay. They are gay...period. It doesn't matter why. The only thing that is accomplished by making excuses for why they are gay is opening the door for predators to use a similar excuse. Most gay people (notice I said most and not all) do not have children, so I don't reckon they would much care about that; however, the rest of us do.

Obviously you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I'm not "making excuses" for them being gay. I'm saying they're born like that. The choice hypothesis is nonsensical. It's not like I chose to be heterosexual. I don't see why it would be any different for a homosexual.

Religious rights are protected under the first amendment. Whether or not we agree with them. If you start trying to exclude their protected rights, you have just opened the door to loose the ones that you personally care about. Is this really what you want?

I never mentioned anything about religious rights. In fact, earlier in the thread I said the school is well within their rights to make up their own rules.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by GeeGee]

[edit on 29-1-2009 by GeeGee]

[edit on 30-1-2009 by GeeGee]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
It's a catholic school with catholic rules, would you consider a msulim school banning a woman because she didn't want to wear a head scarf as bad??? Same thing, it's a religious school with their religious rules.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mountainwulft
reply to post by just_julie

No you could not because you would be harming something; however, teaching kids that being gay is wrong is legal because it is based on religish beliefs. You do not have to agree with the belief but you are required to not force your beliefs on them. They are not forcing their beliefs on anyone else.

So is it legal for a cult leader to organize a mass suicide, because it's based on RELIGIOUS (as I am assuming you meant) beliefs? And who says that no harm would come of a child being expelled from a school for 'seeming gay'. IMO that would cause severe emotional trauma to the child. I don't understand how causing a mental illness like depression (which could be a likely outcome) is any different to causing physical damage.

The main focus of this SCHOOL should be EDUCATION not a 'gay witch' hunt.

Don't the teachers have expensive, private, paid for papers to mark or something?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I say that if people choose to be gay or lesbian, then they don't need to be going to those private schools anyway. It's the same as the BOY SCOUTS not allowing GIRLS or ATHEISTS. They can find other organizations to go to. Seriously, how often do you ever hear of a Christian trying to join an atheist organization and pitching a fit when they are rejected? It doesn't happen. I would however argue that the Christian school is neglecting their very core principles by ejecting those people instead of extending the love that Christ preached. I suppose that they figure that Gays would poison their school and corrupt the other students instead of vice versa.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

This is truly a statement only a man with no argument would make. You cannot compare bestiality and pedophilia to two consenting adults. This "argument" is made in every thread relating to homosexuality, and it always loses.
reply to post by GeeGee

The thing is though that noone in the schools are talking about consenting adults. The schools can expel gay and lesbian school age children. So now who has no arguement?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
but were BORN the way they were...

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

There's no proof that people are born with certain sexual preferences. I personally believe it's a choice. I know scientists have been trying to find the "gay gene" for some time but until they find it I think choice makes the most sense.

Why is it that some people prefer chocolate and others prefer vanilla? Why is it that some people are attracted to whites and others are attracted to blacks? Why is it some people prefer rock and others prefer rap? Choice. Why would sexual preference be any different?

As for this case I think the private school has a right to choose whichever stundents they want to teach.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by Leto]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roufas
Wow , I didn't know that just because a school is private it can override federal laws or even the constitution.

In my country if you want to open a school or a hospital even , you cannot just discriminate people like that , you can create your rules sure , as long as it does not collide with the rules of society.

And people say America is the land of freedom :O

Actually theres another side where you can look at this from. Think like this... if you're in a country that lets you create a school where you can say "I dont want any gays in here" that means you are in a country where you are free to act how you believe its right, and that is freedom.

Since you CAN do it, its freedom. If you couldnt do it, then it wouldnt be the "land of freedom". Freedom lets you be gay, own a gun, be a black without any prejudice, a comunist, a muslim, a christian etc... but also lets you be anti-gay, anti-gun, a racist, a nazi, anti-muslim, anti-christian, etc... theres 2 faces of the same coin.

As for hospitals... well... a private hospital discriminates all that dont have the money to afford it or dont have a medical insurance that assures/ allows their admittance into that particular hospital... so... hospitals do discriminate also.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice

The thing is though that noone in the schools are talking about consenting adults. The schools can expel gay and lesbian school age children. So now who has no arguement?

Look at the whole post or on page one. I've already stated that the school is well within their rights to make up their own rules. I wasn't arguing about that at all. Pay closer attention, please.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Phew! For the kids of course. Wow I would have loved to be kicked out of of the Christian School. Nah a little way back I tried everything I could do to be kicked out, listened to death metal in the parking lot, took up smoking, arrived intoxicated, drove my car over their sign but, no dice.

Of course they wouldn't have kicked me out of school. They assumed correctly that I was gay but, they tried to cure me by sticking pamphlets in my locker, intervention discussions, having other students harass me etc. If I could have been kicked out for this I would've kissed a teacher or something! Actually this is quite merciful to let them out this way.

To the school thanks!

To the students, find a better school as it was mom and dad that made ya go there right?

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
So far we still live in a free country. The school inquestion is a PRIVATE organization with its own rules. Abide by the rules and policies, or find somewhere else to go.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by toochaos4u

Why did you want out so bad? Did they beat you? Did they do horrible experiments on you? No, they told you that there is a God and that there are consequences for your actions. So many people today do not want the responsibility of their own lives. That is why this world is going to crap.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

What an ignorant statement.

It sounds like you're saying the only reason somebody would not want to be a Christian is if they were avoiding responsibility. The real problem with the world is too many people refusing to accept other people for who they are, not people refusing to "accept God."

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PullThePin

They can expel people for having a mental defect now? Do they not allow mentally challenged people to attend as well?

I'd like to clarify your comment - are you suggesting that being gay is akin to a mental defect?

OP, speaking as a gay woman, I have no problem with the principle of a Christian school not accepting actively gay children. After all, the Christian belief system believes this lifestyle to be an abomination. It's part of the belief system and I respect that 100%.

What I do have concerns with is whether they differentiate between gay and actively gay. After all, one is a choice and the other is not. We are born gay (i.e. no choice) and we can act on that (i.e. choice). As I understand, many Christians - if not the Bible - make this differentiation, with one being a sin and the other not.

Another concern I have rests with the phrase "seems" gay... I have known many women who are more manly than men and plenty of men who are camper than a row of tents. Not all of these were gay. The "seems" gay for me is a sticky wicket.

Of course, on top of this you have the abundance of camouflaged gays. I for one would never have been thrown out - I successfully hid my sexuality for years
how cunning

[edit on 30/1/09 by lizziejayne]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join