It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LG recalls cellphone over health fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

LG recalls cellphone over health fears

www.theglobeandmail.com

Ottawa has moved for the first time to stop sales of a cellphone on the grounds that it exceeds radiation emission standards, potentially stirring long-standing concerns about health hazards posed by the devices.

LG Electronics Canada Inc. is recalling as many as a quarter of a million cellphones after tests found one model emitted more radio-frequency energy than is allowed by regulators.

The subsidiary of the South Korean electronics giant agreed to issue a recall of its LG 150 flip phone model after a U.S. testing lab contracted by Industry Canada recently decertified the device. The department told some carriers last week to stop selling the phones and LG subsequently decided to recall them.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.emfacts.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
2 Billion May Suffer From Cell Phone Cancer By 2020

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
It seems the concern over cell phone radiation is getting the interest of the Canadian government.

The radiation emitted from a cell phone is kin to microwave energy. The same type of vhf waves that cooks your microwave dinner flow through your skull to the soft tissue inside the skull.
EMF/RF
Some have called this the 21st toxin. It radiats from high current power lines, cell phones, wireless networks, and it is being linked tumours in the lab and in the home.

Billions of dollars are tied up in this industry impeding transparency toward the cell phone communication addicted public. Also, to be fair, the cell phone addicted public love the Crack berry’s and I Phones resulting in a bit of denial on both sides of the coin as both those who provide and those who consume want to talk anywhere anytime.

Some people are now reporting an extreme drop in stress levels when placed outside the grid as the body is no longer being bombarded by hundreds of sources of radiation from power lines, cell towers, TV/radio waves, cell phone radiation etc.

In 2006, earthquake that hit Hawaii knocked out the power for up to two days in certain areas. Some residents reported experiencing a drop in their stress levels after less than twelve hours with the grid down, even on an already less hectic Sunday. www.thefreelibrary.com...:+explore+the+under-researched+toxin+of+the+21+st...-a0169412633

The lawyer for OJ found out the hardway. Famed attorney Johnnie Cochran deadwww.cnn.com...
Below is a link to a cell phone cancer link.
www.emfacts.com...

www.theglobeandmail.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
For the last time, cell phones operate around 800MHz, not microwave frequencys (>2GHz). Besides that even if they did operate around microwave frequencies it's such low power as to not cause a fly to get worm if it sat right on the antenna.
They more than likely had to stop sales because of regular regulations of effective radiated power used at those frequencies. Just like our FCC here in the US, they have rules and regulations of all radio frequencies, doesn't matter if it's a cell phone, a baby monitor or a high powered radio station.
This artical has nothing to do with them pulling the phones because of health problems.
Besides this, even if the part 15 type radio devices were powerful enough at those frequencies to cause heat.. that's all it will do is cause heat from water molecules vibrating. Microwave energy has never been proven to cause cell mutations. If you know otherwise I'd love to see citations.

[edit on 1/28/2009 by darklife]

[edit on 1/28/2009 by darklife]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven

Hehe that video is fun to watch. Too bad it's a fake and not possible, or I would have a fun party trick to show some people

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Yes, I agree that cell phone and microwave freq. are on a different range.

What I am bringing to light simply revolves around the fact that we have bombarded our selves with vhf/rf of every sort and we are now beginning to see that this may not be healthy.

notice: I cited everything from wireless networks to powerlines. (grid)

High current lines have been linked to cancer in children.

Electropollution is an extremely complex problem that may have expanded with each new electronic technology, such as microwaves and cell phones. The number of adverse health effects associated with these technologies is staggering. This brief overview is designed to point readers in the direction of resources that can help them understand this major life stressor and quickly implement strategies to offset its toxic shock
www.thefreelibrary.com...:+explore+the+under-researched+toxin+of+the+21+st...-a0169412633

Cancer and EMF

Electromagnetic fields

Canadian children and adults are exposed to electric and magnetic fields (EMF) from a variety of sources every day. For example, coffee makers, hair dryers, computers, household wires and high voltage power lines emit both electric and magnetic fields. More information about EMF-emitting products

Researchers have long been concerned about the potential relationship between exposure to EMF and an increased risk of cancer. To date, following more than 25 years of research, scientific evidence has not found a consistent relationship between exposure to EMF and cancer risk in adults. However, some research studies have found a relationship between EMF exposure and childhood leukemia.

www.cancer.ca...

Want more?

Electric and magnetic fields (EMF) are areas of energy that surround any electrical device. EMFs are produced by power lines, electrical wiring, and appliances (see Question 1).
Electric fields are easily shielded or weakened by walls and other objects, whereas magnetic fields are not. Since magnetic fields are more likely to penetrate the body, they are the component of EMFs that are usually studied in relation to cancer (see Question 1).
Overall, there is limited evidence that magnetic fields cause childhood leukemia, and there is inadequate evidence that these magnetic fields cause other cancers in children (see Question 2).
Studies of magnetic field exposure from power lines and electric blankets in adults show little evidence of an association with leukemia, brain tumors, or breast cancer (see Question 3).
Past studies of occupational magnetic field exposure in adults showed very small increases in leukemia and brain tumors. However, more recent, well-conducted studies have shown inconsistent associations with leukemia, brain tumors, and breast cancer (see Question 4).

www.cancer.gov...

These sources are from conservative goverment agencies.

How about some more?

The number of people using cellular telephones has increased dramatically during the past decade and is likely to continue increasing for the foreseeable future. According to the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association, there are currently about 107 million mobile phone subscribers in the United States, increasing at a rate of about 2 million per month (www.wow-com.com...).

Use of hand-held cellular phones involves placing a small transmitter which emits radio frequency radiation (microwave radiation) next to the head. There has been widespread public concern that radiation from cellular phones might cause tumors of the brain and nervous system. Unlike ionizing radiation, which, at high doses, is known to cause brain tumors, it is not known whether the non-ionizing radiation from cell phones poses a cancer risk. Because so many people use cellular phones, it is important to learn whether it does, and to provide reassurance if it does not.

www.cancer.gov...

woops..looks like the National Cancer Institute just compared RF from cells phones to microwave energy.

Cells phone rf is a microwave. A different freq. then ovens but nevertheless a microwave.

Here is some more!

EMF Exposure as a Potential Risk Factor for Breast Cancer

Environmental risk factors for breast cancer were one of the major themes at the first World Conference on Breast Cancer. Evidence for electromagnetic fields (EMF) as yet another environmental risk factor was presented to an audience of scientists and advocates at the conference.

There is a growing body of scientific evidence supporting an association between EMF exposure and many cancers, including breast cancer.

Early studies first showed a high incidence of male breast cancer in telephone and rail workers exposed to EMF. Seeing that male breast tissue may be at risk, researchers followed the lead to evaluate women's occupational risk. Some points made at the Conference included:

- Evidence from more than 100 epidemiological studies has shown an association between occupational and residential EMF exposures and various cancers.
- EMF is also associated in epidemiological studies with increased risk of childhood cancers, particularly leukemia.

- There is sufficient scientific evidence at this time to consider EMF to be a potential risk factor for breast cancer.

www.dirtyelectricity.ca...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by darklife

For the last time, cell phones operate around 800MHz, not microwave frequencys (>2GHz). Besides that even if they did operate around microwave frequencies it's such low power as to not cause a fly to get worm if it sat right on the antenna.

The RF is of the same type as microwave ovens..different frequency...compare to a 440hz toward 330 hz....also the US National Cancer Intsitute disagrees with you as to the RF type as www.cancer.gov cites..

Use of hand-held cellular phones involves placing a small transmitter which emits radio frequency radiation (microwave radiation) next to the head. There has been widespread public concern that radiation from cellular phones might cause tumors of the brain and nervous system. Unlike ionizing radiation, which, at high doses, is known to cause brain tumors, it is not known whether the non-ionizing radiation from cell phones poses a cancer risk. Because so many people use cellular phones, it is important to learn whether it does, and to provide reassurance if it does not.

www.cancer.gov

They more than likely had to stop sales because of regular regulations of effective radiated power used at those frequencies. Just like our FCC here in the US, they have rules and regulations of all radio frequencies, doesn't matter if it's a cell phone, a baby monitor or a high powered radio station.
This artical has nothing to do with them pulling the phones because of health problems.
Besides this, even if the part 15 type radio devices were powerful enough at those frequencies to cause heat.. that's all it will do is cause heat from water molecules vibrating. Microwave energy has never been proven to cause cell mutations. If you know otherwise I'd love to see citations.

Smoking was recommened by family Doctors during the 1950's as well... they argued that smoking has no proveable link to cancer for decades..both US and Canadian cancer institutes are now concerned over the large amount of rf/emf in our cities....

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven

Total LOL....

You do know this video here was viral marketing and completely made up right?

Don't believe everything you see.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Firstly, let me say that I think we're in a position analogous to the early/mid 20th century, where lots of people were smoking, a few were making money from it, and little or no research was being done on the health effects.

Look at what the tobacco companies have done in the past to try and deflect independent research. Cellphone companies are in the same boat - except that the ways of influencing government have been refined over the years.

Secondly, I really wish you hadn't posted that vid, whiteraven - it's an obvious fake to me, and I'm a sympathiser. They're doing it on a table made of slats, and the paper table cover bursts into flame very obviously along the slat lines, just as it would if heat were being applied from underneath.

Thirdly, the whole business of frequency is kind of a red herring. Government legislation has been blinkered to examine only the microwave effects of cell phones.

In a rather interesting book by Lynne McTaggart called The Field, the author describes an experiment in which a dissected frog's heart was made to speed up, not by adding adrenaline to the bloodstream, but by broadcasting the radio signature of the molecule.

If that can be done, then it's likely that living, as we do, in an invisible soup of microwave radiation can't be terribly healthy. It's no surprise to me that heavy mobile phone users are apt to get brain tumours. If I'm on the damn thing too long I can feel my ear heating up. Eurgh.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Ok the video is my bad.

Gullible I am lol

Nevertheless I believe that emf/rf is something we need to look into as we have bombarded our cities with this stuff.

Thanks to everyone for pointing out my error with the vid.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
If I'm on the damn thing too long I can feel my ear heating up. Eurgh.

Well... You ARE holding a heat producing circuitboard with plastic around it, are you not? This is particularly the case with mobile phones having a faster CPU than your desktop had in 1999.

Personally I'm not too bothered with it, because I dont use mobiles that much.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
It's foolish for anyone who has a cell phone to put it against their head.
Where I live, I very rarely see anyone doing that anymore.

It's handsfree in the car and ear plugs for hand helds.
There's also speakerphone for when I'm at home.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Help me here? Im sure I read somewhere, in the last few weeks, that LG were re-calling some handsets because they were unfortunatly able to screen themselves from specific eaves dropping.

Government agencies were asking LG to recall some models because they were unable to listen in or track them....anyone else see it?

Respects

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Yeah, we have regulations stating that electronic devices may not emit enough EM radiation as to interfere with the normal operation of other electronic devices.

If the LG 150 is emitting enough energy on the analogue cell band, it could interfere with the operation of many mobile processors out there, not to mention interfere with other equipment attempting to communicate on the same frequencies.

I can't remember though which band the LG 150 uses.

And to member darklife
It's not just the 800Mhz frequency range that's used. There are a few cell networks out there.

Yes, Analogue cell networks operate between 869.040 to 893.970 MHz, and the phones communicating to those networks communicate between 824.040 to 848.970 MHz.

However, newer digital mobile communications packages operate all the way from 1GHz to the theoretical maximum of 100GHz.

The PCS network operates between 1850 MHz to1990 MHz, meaning they do operate on the effectively dangerous portion of the Microwave band.

Microwaves are electromagnetic waves with wavelengths ranging from 1 mm to 1 m, or frequencies between 0.3 GHz and 300 GHz.

With the broad definition of the microwave band, even the old analog phones technically operate within the Microwave band as well.
Though, you won't find your home Microwave oven operating at such a low frequency as it wouldn't be effective nor efficient.

Your definitions are a little outdated, however you are correct in your understanding that the near 2Ghz range is the most harmful of the range, as it is the most ideal frequency for exciting atoms to generate thermal energy.

Unfortunately, the PCS networks also operate around this frequency.

Therefore phones operating, or capable of operating, at these frequencies have to be restricted to a lower amplitude to ensure against user harm.

And as a general rule of thumb all communications equipment should be restricted to certain amplitudes to ensure against interference with other equipment on the same frequency range.
With exception of course to any equipment which operates on a frequency designated for their specific use, such as radio stations and emergency communications equipment.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
Help me here? Im sure I read somewhere, in the last few weeks, that LG were re-calling some handsets because they were unfortunatly able to screen themselves from specific eaves dropping.

Any cellphone operating on the old analog cell networks can be listened to. If you have an old VHF/UHF television receiver, you can often find cell conversations by simply moving through the channels.
(this is because much of the frequency range for television stations was re-delegated to cellphone use as cellphones became more popular. Leaving the older TV sets capable of listening to cell phone conversations as none of them were scrambled.)

Listening to digital conversations though is a little tricky.

It would entail the use of a digital phone card, a computer, and prior access to the SIM card / decoding information from the phone you want to mimic.
That would give you access to the feed coming from the tower, (Rx on the phones end) ... but it wouldn't allow you to listen to the person on the phone in question, just the person they're talking to.

The other side of the conversation (Tx from the phone) may be easier to listen to, all you need is the encoding information for that particular phone.

Alternatively, one could always tap into the tower network itself and listen to both sides from there, but that would require either on site presence, or one heck of a hacker.

If there is a digital phone that is being recalled because it's particularly easier to listen in on than others, I would assume it's because it's alternative analog comm package is jammed on even when connected to a digital network.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by johnsky]

new topics

top topics

join