It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox: Scientists Teleport Matter More Than Three Feet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
According to Foxnews: "Scientists have come a bit closer to achieving the "Star Trek" feat of teleportation.".

Scientists have come a bit closer to achieving the "Star Trek" feat of teleportation.

No one is galaxy-hopping, or even beaming people around, but for the first time, information has been teleported between two separate atoms across a distance of a meter — about a yard.

This is a significant milestone in a field known as quantum information processing, said Christopher Monroe of the Joint Quantum Institute at the University of Maryland, who led the effort.

Full article

Appearantly the JQI team in Maryland recently achieved to transport the quantum state of an atom from one location to another for the first time.

It is too soon to really understand the implications, but this sparked my interest, because this would mean a large step towards actual teleportation (of dead matter I would assume).

Can anyone remember the Quantum leap series...? Brings back memories.

MoonMine

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Sounds like a great step!! I hope they give these guys extra funds for making what seems like sci fi a place in the real world.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Yeh I don't know really I guess they have increased the distance.
Its what they are exactly supposedly teleporting.
Information?
I think we have been teleporting information since inventing the telegraph and radio.
To teleport organic matter, now that's going to be hard.
I guess they might be progressing further in the field of manipulating and controlling atoms.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I think they will build zero latency networks out of this technology once we have Quantum Computers!

I drool when I think about downloading a CD or movie instantaneously.. or before I even know that I want it!

IRM

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Very interesting, I read about this ages ago, but they were only talking inches then.

What excites me about this, is it can possibly be a major breakthrough in computers. Rather than the current CPU's, they could have quantum processors, which could process the info hundreds, maybe thousands of times faster, than current silicone gates.

Not to mention they may have stumbled across a radio frequency free way of transmitting information. Bye bye mobile phone and wifi radiation

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
There was an experiment a few years ago where they teleported information from a base station on one side of a river, to another on the opposite side. I think this was purely information though, no organic matter included. What surprised them, if I recall correctly, was that the information seemed to arrive before it was sent.

I think this was part of the research into quantum computing, but they still weren't expecting to see it get there a fraction of a second before it was sent.

It really is a leap in the right direction.

Something that confuses me though; someone once told me that everything we do in 'public' science has already been done by the US government through military research long before, otherwise we'd never hear about it at all. If it hadn't been done by the US Government, this would be locked up and become a black project before info was leaked.
I'm not saying I accept this idea, but it does make sense doesn't it?

Another thing that annoys me; we can now teleport matter over three feet, but we still can't produce free energy on a workable scale. And this despite the vast discrepancy between the numbers of people working on each...

Anything is possible. So why aren't we working on the priorities with this thought in mind?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
Something that confuses me though; someone once told me that everything we do in 'public' science has already been done by the US government through military research long before, otherwise we'd never hear about it at all. If it hadn't been done by the US Government, this would be locked up and become a black project before info was leaked.

This does make you wonder right? According to the Disclosure Project, science in Black Ops is about 10 years ahead of mainstream...

I think if you can successfully transmit quantum states of atoms it is a prelude to the real deal. It becomes much much harder to say transmit an orange, because that would mean not only transmitting the quantum state of all its atoms, but the relationship between those atoms as well, which, if I am correct, is in a perpetual state of change.

This is why I said dead matter...

The following made me laugh:

Physicist Richard Feynman is quoted as having said that "if you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

Or sometimes he is cited thusly: "I think I can safely say that nobody understand quantum mechanics."

What do you reckon he is paid per year for this wisdom?

[edit on 28-1-2009 by MoonMine]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
I drool when I think about downloading a CD or movie instantaneously.. or before I even know that I want it!

Here you go:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoonMine

Physicist Richard Feynman is quoted as having said that "if you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

Or sometimes he is cited thusly: "I think I can safely say that nobody understand quantum mechanics."

What do you reckon he is paid per year for this wisdom?

Richard Feynman died 21 years ago.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

lol!!!

Im sorry but that is sooooo funny

worth a star!!!

.. but on topic here

teleporting "information" heh? i dont get that part? did they send a picture or something? or is the information a description of the "matter" they "sent" befor they knew they sent it?

lol :p

so let me try to understand this...

They sent something from point A to point B befor they knew they did? becouse ... ok im lost
someone help? lol

forgot to add S+F

just becouse its so mind boggling

[edit on 28-1-2009 by theresult]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ehm yeah how can you receive information before you have sent any!

I guess when they tried to take it away.The matter just took it right back without them knowing it yet lol :9

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This is a great step forward. Not for star trek teleportation, but for quantum computing! This type of teleportation is not what you hear about on star trek, but instead transferring the properties of one thing to another.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Subject line is misleading. They did not transport matter at all, just the information state. Fox should check their facts before printing something. /sigh

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venit
This is a great step forward. Not for star trek teleportation, but for quantum computing! This type of teleportation is not what you hear about on star trek, but instead transferring the properties of one thing to another.

Well, as the article states:

"Our system has the potential to form the basis for a large-scale 'quantum repeater' that can network quantum memories over vast distances," Monroe said. "Moreover, our methods can be used in conjunction with quantum bit operations to create a key component needed for quantum computation."

A quantum computer could perform certain tasks, such as encryption-related calculations and searches of giant databases, considerably faster than conventional machines. The effort to devise a working model is a matter of intense interest worldwide.

The part about networking quantum memories is indeed interesting, and a bit scary too because this makes me think about Teledyne Corp (Terminator).

Originally posted by Venit
Richard Feynman died 21 years ago.

Probably hung himself because he couldn't grasp quantum mechanics.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow_Lord
Subject line is misleading. They did not transport matter at all, just the information state. Fox should check their facts before printing something. /sigh

The real question is: What is matter?

Isn't all matter made up of billions of atoms, and does not each atom has a certain state and relation?

If you could duplicate or clone a quantum state of an atom, you would not be able to tell the difference between the original atom and the atom with the new properties, hence...

As I said, it would be interesting to see what happens to matter Y if you change the quantum state of all its atoms matching matter X. I suspect you will not be able to tell the difference between the two pieces of matter.

Cloning matter basically. If you then destroy the original you have in essence transported the matter from X to Y.

Edit to add:

Teleportation vs. other communications

What distinguishes this outcome as teleportation, rather than any other form of communication, is that no information pertaining to the original memory actually passes between ion A and ion B.

Instead, the information disappears when ion A is measured and reappears when the microwave pulse is applied to ion B.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by MoonMine]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Soon you will think of your remote and it will be in your hand! and then your thoughts will drift and you will think about pie and then you will find yourself in Bakers square and then you will realize that you really wanted ice cream and its "BAMF" off to Ben and Jerry's you go!

I'm getting tired just thinking about it..."BAMF!" I'm in my bed!

We are not ready.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
this is called quantum entaglement... what happens to one subatomic particle will happen instantly to another no matter how far away this is... THe implications for this is instant communications to anywhere in the galaxy......if we can make a quantum receiver... I beleive we can capture intergalactic communications... the near term benefits could be a rover sent to mars that can be controlled immediatly instead of waiting for the slow radio transmission...and instructing commands...or a interplanetery internet with no transmission lag....... the implications are this field which is amazing in and of itself.. Sorry to say to Star Trek fans that this is in no way the transportation of matter but information.......

[edit on 28-1-2009 by thefreepatriot]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thefreepatriot
this is called quantum entaglement... what happens to one subatomic particle will happen instantly to another not matter how far away this is... THe implications for this is instant communications to anywhere in the galaxy......if we can make a quantum receiver... I beleive we can capture intergalactic communications... the near term benefits could be a rover sent to mars that can be controlled immediatly instead of waiting for the slow radio transmission...and instructing commands...or a interplanetery internet with not transmission lag....... the implications are in this field which is amazing in itself.. Sorry to say to Star Trek fans that this is in no way the transportation of matter but information.......

See above... If you can transform matter using the information you effectively have teleportation, no?

Anyway, the subject of instant communication is as mind boggling as the infinity of the universe...........

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Great find. I think you just need to ask Al to hit ziggy harder to teleport

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Just Fox catching up with the news.

Quantum entanglement has been around for a while and nothing but information was transported. Think of it as a connection, with no wires and no energy source needed, able to send the information about the quantum state of one atom to another. The atoms are somehow 'linked' together over a large distance [relative to atoms].

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join