It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Next Month's Welfare Cutoff in California be Pres. Obama's "Test"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I'm sure most of you caught VP Joe Biden's comment about Pres. Obama being 'tested' in the first week or two of his presidency.

I'd like to throw out a small piece of prognostication:

The people of California rioted over a court case verdict. I believe that when next month's welfare checks do not arrive we will have a similar reaction, if not worse. This time around we have the whole of the states most disadvantaged directly affected.

It will be very interesting to see how our new leaders react to such a crisis. Do they come out 'guns blazin'? Negotiations with crazed single mothers??

I just can't shake the foreboding feeling that this will blow up much larger than is being let on.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I too believe that if those checks don't go out, the results are going to be disastrous. When people are hungry and homeless, desperation will drive many to crime. These checks are affecting those that live from month to month; cheque to cheque. They probably don't have a savings account to tide them over or a supply of food.

I don't believe this is the crisis Biden is talking about. He says "it will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama" in "an international crisis, a generated crisis". To me this seems a domestic crisis.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I feel bad for the people who rely on welfare to help in hard times, but do not feel bad for the one's who have mastered the art of "loopholes" and are able to sustane themselves on welfare alone. IMO the people who don't want to get real jobs and contribute to society are the same who would riot if the checks don't go out, I don't feel bad at all for them. Welfare is ment to be a temporary measure of help yet some become dependant on it and take advantage of it. California should do them a favor and cut them off or make them work for the benefits ie: clean up hiways or feed the homeless or some other task to contribute to society.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Alyosha1981, I couldn't agree with you more.

You hit it on the head when you said "The people who take advantage of welfare are the ones who will riot."

This doesn't change all of the lives they will effect when they take over the many streets of EVERY low income neighborhood in California!

You must think this through! For thousands of families in CA. their rent is paid using their welfare.

Come February 1st they will ALL face homelessness. Is California well known for it's expeditious and humane treatment of it's homeless??

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
I feel bad for the people who rely on welfare to help in hard times, but do not feel bad for the one's who have mastered the art of "loopholes" and are able to sustane themselves on welfare alone. IMO the people who don't want to get real jobs and contribute to society are the same who would riot if the checks don't go out, I don't feel bad at all for them. Welfare is . . .

True, true, all true, however, I live in Los Angeles and I've mentioned this situation to a few people and only one person that I mentioned to had heard about it. I'm almost beside myself. ::looks over at my self beside myself
:: But really, I am VERY concerned. I work but I live pretty much in the midst of an area where a lot of people are going to be affected by this. I am NOT a doom and gloomer but I see potential riots if these people don't get their checks. Yes there's a good amount of fraud and yada yada but that's another story.

I'm glad that I'm off from work on the 30th which is the day I think the checks would normally be issued, I think, since the 1st is on Saturday. Sheez! I can't imagine what's going to happen around here. And I'm not discounting the fact that this is a horrible thing to happen to people but I just hope that things don't get crazy and that no life or property is lost.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Also about the comment about people becoming homeless - I "think" that many of these folks pay rent by "Section 8" funds. I wonder will the Section 8 funding also be affected?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by lel1111

While many welfare families do receive HUD, the rate of welfare quickly outgrew CA's budget.

CA has not accepted any new HUD applications for a number of years.

I think you have a legitimate reason to be more aware of your surroundings during the next couple of weeks.

Hopefully this will be nothing more than Pres. Obama throwing (non-exsisant) money at the Governator.

I see nothing wrong with being prepared however.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ObamasLoveChild

Thanks for your response. I guess what I'm wondering is, there are many, many people currently receiving a monthly subsidy that covers their rent. I'm wondering if that too will be frozen or not. Now THAT would land a lot of people on the street. Hopefully it really doesn't come to this but I'm reading that CA is broke.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
It also make sense to me that CA will not be able to pay HUD/Rent Subsidies.

I've also been wondering about food stamps? I just hope there is some kind of plan.

ANY plan for the overwhelmingly 'negative' (ha, ha) response they will receive when these people have no where to eat, sleep, work....

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I was not aware that your government is gonna do this?

Mostly women and children and lots of vets, people with severe mental disabilities and homeless, most of these people are abused and rejected by society already!

Is this really happening?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The problem with welfare is that some people become codependent on it, relying on the relitive security of "knowing" that they really don't have to work if they just continue to meet the minimum requriements. It's like a spoiled rich kid on one hand whose mom and dad pay the way, but then all of the sudden they say "no more". The shock and reality that sets in will probably manifest itself as anger. The question I pose for any interested is this, take a look around any severly low income neighborhood, how many new cars do you see? how many with espensive aftermarket add on's? what's the clothing style? ( ie: jordan's gator's flashy name brand clothes?) loud car stereo's?

I've done this and the above are things I've noticed and with contempt I might add, example, if one pays $8 a month for rent, receives $500 a month for food and does not claim a significant other as living in the same household ( but there is) medical expenses paid by the state, and generally a monatary check say $500 a month. The ability to live "ghetto fabulous" becomes apparent and happens like this all over the country. I used to drive passed a local "welfare" office and would always notice the perking lot packed with nice vehicles only at the end of the month.

Oddly enough that seems to be time that most recipiants would have to "report" for their monthly meeting in order to continue their benefits for the next month. I recall as well, a neighborhood ( large) that was built entirely for the low income, these single family homes were beautifull "white picket fence" style anybody would have been proud to own one of these. The program consisted of making monthly payments of $150 for 5 years and then $500 a month thereafter for a term of 30 years.

The basis for the program was to encourage low income families to strive for homeownership, problem was the families were not paying the bills, the state was in reality, the neighborhood soon went from a dream for many to a haven for drug addicts and criminals, the unkept houses soon became battered and some stripped by theives. I'am not entirely aginst the welfare program, I am aginst it's missuse and the reality is that more people take advantage of it then not I'm affraid.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I did not intend to begin a thread ranting about welfare.

I truly believe this is a real ugly situation that is being savagely downplayed by our state controlled media.

top topics

join