It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Christians do away with the Bible?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

sezue my friend, be wary of what you have been told. The talk of a messiah was rife pre dating Jesus' birth, Everything around his birth is very heavily laden with conjecture. Eg Mary is not really known to have been from the line of David.
There is no record whatsoever of a census being taken in Bethlehem. Romans were meticulous book keepers, and there is no incling at all this registration call took place at this time, what they did I suspect was to create stories around Jesus that made him FIT the profile of the Messiah, this included he was born in Bethlehem. It is absolute fact that this reason for Bethlem birth never took place. Additionally, not one of the earliest documents pertaining to Jesus mention Bethlehem and Mary being from the line of David, rather this only came up about 200-300 years later.

I know this is hard to read, but it is true. Its kinda like a candidate running for president, the person that is projected during campaign is not really the person they truly are.

Most of those scriptures you have quoted when truly researched you can see someone tweaked with historical fact to make it fit the 'prophecy'.
I love JC's accomplishments, and I'm not saying he is or isn't the Messiah , but I have felt more comforatable researching and validating or denying what I have been told in order to make my own conclusions.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I know exactly what you are talking about when you say it may be hard to read.. but personally, I would rather know the truth, no matter how scary, than to cover it with the lies.

I hope you don't mind, but I have done exactly what you are encouraging others to do and so I have a bit of truth to share and would like to submit it. This is one of many things I had to face and it was NOT easy... it was so hard that I took the bible and chunked it across the room and said I would rather go to hell than to submit to a god that is full of lies and inconsistencies! It was one of the hardest and scariest things that I hope to NEVER have to face again.. but I was so well rewarded in my refusal to not settle that I KNOW I will never have to go through it again and now stand firmly planted in a rock called security.

Anyway... there was something that I found that shook the very core of what I was told to believe (though I already had sensed long before that something was not right about it).

Here it is:

Hebrew Bible ........ New Testament
I Chr. 3:10-16...... Matthew 1:6-11
Solomon......... Solomon
Rehoboam....... Roboam
Abia......... Abia
Asa.............. Asa
Jehoshaphat...... Josaphat
Joram............ Joram
Ahazia............ ----
Joash............... ---- ?
Amazia............ ----
Azaria........... Ozias
Jotham ..............Joatham
Ahaz.............. Achaz
Hezekia............ Ezekias
Manasseh............... Manasses
Amon............... Amon
Josia............... Josias
Jehoiakim ---- ?
Jeconia............ Jechonias

And of course the genealogy of matthew also does not line up with that in luke and both were said to be of Joseph... neither is mary's genealogy.

When I had this proof that what I sensed was in fact right and actually faced it, I was given many more proofs that the NT is not even based on the Tanakh.

I went through great fear for a solid 3 months... NOT just fear... sheer terror.. the kind where I had nothing to say to anyone because I did not know if ANYTHING I thought I knew could be considered correct. I caused much concern in my family and friends because I literally was just like
(not a metaphor... I *really* looked like that lol) around them. Me, the one that everyone considered the one who knew where she was going suddenly realized she knew NOTHING!

But after three solid months of sheer terror, I began to accept it because I had already sensed it. I faced the terror; and now here I am completely secure in the knowledge that there is a G.d who is my Father and loves me very much.

I am just saying... when push came to shove, I would rather believe nothing (well, in myself) than to believe a lie... at least with nothing I knew where I stood. It paid off in the end (though I will not try to convince anyone of this.. that is personal), but there was a time where, when the fear wore off, I felt better just having faced the truth even though I really had nothing to fall on at the time.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by justamomma]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma

Here it is:

Hebrew Bible ........ New Testament
I Chr. 3:10-16...... Matthew 1:6-11
Solomon......... Solomon
Rehoboam....... Roboam
Abia......... Abia
Asa.............. Asa
Jehoshaphat...... Josaphat
Joram............ Joram
Ahazia............ ----
Joash............... ---- ?
Amazia............ ----
Azaria........... Ozias
Jotham ..............Joatham
Ahaz.............. Achaz
Hezekia............ Ezekias
Manasseh............... Manasses
Amon............... Amon
Josia............... Josias
Jehoiakim ---- ?
Jeconia............ Jechonias

no idea what you are talking about? Maybe a quick explanation, I'm ADD so wont pay attention to too much detail moma!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I am ADHD, so I completely understand
Hey.. the meds really do work wonders by the way!

I should have clarified. Basically, there are four names that are missing in Matthews account of the genealogy that are listed in the Tanakh. Thus, showing flaws in the NT that so many Christians claim is perfect and should be blindly believed.
That was it.

[edit on 29-1-2009 by justamomma]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

YOU JUST DROPPED A KILLAH PRIEST JEWEL. THIS DAY HAS COME

I LOVE YOU WOW

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

no meds, just natural stuff to regulate my chemistry and electrical currents.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
One can do away with the bible, but the faith which saves the individual, can not be done away with, that is, unless that individual renounces their faith.

I am still of the opinion, regardless of years of translation, if God desires that all men be saved, and He does, then by no means will He allow his word to become so corrupt that men are deceived in regards to salvation.

God is far more capable and greater than any opinion of men when it comes to Salvation. No matter how many translations come about.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

How is the Old Testament GOD different from the New?
second line>here.

This is exactly why the gnostic gospels have been dismissed among many other more modern reasons is because it did indeed speak of a different God than the old testament and so did Jesus, I have written about this else-where on this site but essentially Jesus came to inform us of the True Father and not the ignorant one who created this place and the flesh we carry in ignorance. A kingdom divided against itself will fall and Christ appeared among us in the flesh and divided the kingdom by being "pure" or in our case.. simply not a negative Nancy, but as Jesus said there is no way unto the father except through me because until he came we were worshiping Yaltabaoth as God, it's been a long held secret, a lot of people though feel sorry for this being and his many incarnations which is why many people worship Lucifer the Lightbringer/holder etc.. They say he was Pure, Virtuous and Innocent.
The gnostic texts are far better doctrine than that which is contained within the modern bible.

[edit on 1/29/2009 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy

Originally posted by Clearskies

How is the Old Testament GOD different from the New?
second line>here.

This is exactly why the gnostic gospels have been dismissed among many other more modern reasons is because it did indeed speak of a different God than the old testament and so did Jesus, I have written about this else-where on this site but essentially Jesus came to inform us of the True Father and not the ignorant one who created this place and the flesh we carry in ignorance. A kingdom divided against itself will fall and Christ appeared among us in the flesh and divided the kingdom by being "pure" or in our case.. simply not a negative Nancy, but as Jesus said there is no way unto the father except through me because until he came we were worshiping Yaltabaoth as God, it's been a long held secret, a lot of people though feel sorry for this being and his many incarnations which is why many people worship Lucifer the Lightbringer/holder etc.. They say he was Pure, Virtuous and Innocent.
The gnostic texts are far better doctrine than that which is contained within the modern bible.

The gnostic texts is what got me thinking this, well St Thomas really, I haven't read the others, I don't go there too much any more, I just like to live each day the kind or chilled out way, not a difficult formula really....
but can you give me some more of what you mean by this? its interesting
Again dot points as I lose interest quickly (maybe I was tortured by slide shows as a kid and now cant sit still to watch or read for too long)
Are you saying that Jesus' God is different to the OT GOD? I thought it mentioned somewhere that JC said 'I am the son of Abrahams God " or am I mixing up my 'made up parts ' of the New Testament !

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Here is what I have taken note of in this post:

1. An admittance that the NT and gnostic gospels do indeed worship another god.

I am glad that someone could admit this and here is why:

2. That the god of the new testament and gnostic view is concerned with condemning the Creator and true G.d and those who follow after Him despite that we do not force it on anyone else.. we just don't want to be associated with the "forceful" or condemning characteristics that you have displayed quite well in your post.

3. Also, the Word (that is attributed to a man name Jesus) did 100% support the G.d of the Tanakh *and* note that the only people he rebuked were those claiming to follow after the Father but using Him very much the same way as you just did.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I have often wondered on this myself. I had a thought the other night. What if one of you came into possession of the secret scroll that the Templars hid away, with the Gospel of Yesuah the Carpenter, just a man, written in his own words, that told of his escape from the cross by the Jewish underground, and of his marriage to Miriam and their children. Just say what if.

Would you right away publish this and put an end to the Church for once and for all, or...would you consider the millions of people whose faith would be destroyed? Those who trust in the made up God for everything. What would you do?

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

I have often wondered on this myself. I had a thought the other night. What if one of you came into possession of the secret scroll that the Templars hid away, with the Gospel of Yesuah the Carpenter, just a man, written in his own words, that told of his escape from the cross by the Jewish underground, and of his marriage to Miriam and their children. Just say what if.

Would you right away publish this and put an end to the Church for once and for all, or...would you consider the millions of people whose faith would be destroyed? Those who trust in the made up God for everything. What would you do?

Hmmm, interesting that you used the name Miriam.. seems to me that perhaps you have done a bit of research, no?

Since my knowledge is not bound to any idols or images, I would have to say that I would still feel secure in what I know and in fact, I see the Tanakh as being allegorical in nature.

My faith was shattered already before I came to understand the knowledge of the Tanakh and I must admit, it was the best and most freeing process I have ever undergone!

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdposey
One can do away with the bible, but the faith which saves the individual, can not be done away with, that is, unless that individual renounces their faith.

But faith is what has been responsible for the slaughterings in the history of the world.

Take for instance the earth being flat. Knowledge was surpressed concerning the truth.. people were murdered because of another's need to hold on to their faith.

Knowledge *is* the message of the Tanakh. It was the faith that was slapped onto it that destroyed the true message.

The Creator/ G.d of the Tanakh is being called ignorant and yet it is not He that is trying to surpress knowledge.. He says SEEK IT AS A FINE TREASURE! It is the faiths of the world who are too scared to let go of their security blankets that destroy and kill to hold on to the beliefs they "feel" secure in. This is proven throughout the history of the world.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Jesus was a man; an historical figure. He was an exceptional person and a gifted communicator. Check out "Jesus the Man" by Dr Barbara Theiring for a good run down of the historical Jesus and a good debunking of all the "miracles".

The bible is just a book. It's like an ancient Wikipedia, except without citations when edited. And it's been edited by some people with major vested interests!

Spirituality comes not from a book; it comes from within, whilst looking out.

Read the bible as a story; not a book of rules.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I remember reading a theory on this years ago about a Jesus or Moses doc found in the scroll holder on the skirt of a Egyptian guard statue in Tutankhamuns tomb. Its been proven they broke into the tomb through a back wall a month earlier and pilfered the tomb of antiquities. Howard Carter (Archaelologist) and Lord Carnarvon (funded the dig) .

This is actually one of the first 20th conspiracy theories floating around since the 20's. Its been proven true as in 1987 they found a secret panel in Carnarvon Castle (i think its Malrlborough caslte from memory???) and behind it they found a trove of stolen items from the site that were never there when the tomb was first opened....journos' etc took photos and everything was labelled since the fake opening.

Anyway Im getting there.... The CURSE of the mummy comes from Carnarvon dying after the tomb was opened, but this was invented by those who murdered him (it is unlikely a mosquito bite went septic as claimed)
It is believed the scroll had implications that would affect all Judaic based religions and reps from each religion came together and decided to hide the info rather than crush so many faiths. Carnarvon read the scroll and tried to blackmail someone from the Vatican (documented meeting in his personal effects still exist) and next thing you know 24 hours after the meeting ...curse of the mummy, and he's dead.

The other famous document that could damaging information is the dead sea scrolls, All documents have not been released. I have seen most of those that have been, but there is a batch that Catholic scholars (directly working for the Vatican) are permitted to work on. This also is surrounded by the conjecture that they have something to hide as they will never show any external scholars, who have been pleading to see them. Finally these docs are split up amongst their researches so they don't know exactly what parts they are reading...I think I might rejig this and start a new thread, need to go over my history notes first, this was all from memory so sorry if a little grey in areas

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

This is exactly why the gnostic gospels have been dismissed among many other more modern reasons is because it did indeed speak of a different ...........................................................................

Here is what I have taken note of in this post:

1. An admittance that the NT and gnostic gospels do indeed worship another god.

I am glad that someone could admit this and here is why:

2. That the god of the new testament and gnostic view is concerned with condemning the Creator and true G.d and those who follow after Him despite that we do not force it on anyone else.. we just don't want to be associated with the "forceful" or condemning characteristics that you have displayed quite well in your post.

You are completely FLAT OUT WRONG, 100% WRONG about combining and saying that the new testament and the gnostic scriptures are concerned with the same thing. IMO the new testament is a perversion along with what is known about the OT.

The gnostic texts make the distinction between the True Father and Yaltabaoth (the old testament GOD) whom people STILL worship erroneously because Jesus Christs' true message has been altered & suppressed.

The new testament and the gnostic scriptures do not share the same view at all... Where the new testament stops and conceals is where the gnostic scripture continues to explain and hides nothing (other than what can't be read or what is physically missing from the text)

I was trying to tell you all of this in another post before

The biggest lie is that the OT Prophets etc had nothing to do with the Pharaohs.,

3. Also, the Word (that is attributed to a man name Jesus) did 100% support the G.d of the Tanakh *and* note that the only people he rebuked were those claiming to follow after the Father but using Him very much the same way as you just did.

He didn't support the GOD of the Tanakh, he clarified and revealed the distinctions between the OT God and the True Father who "sent" him.
and he showed us where the True Father had intervened on our behalf.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

You are completely FLAT OUT WRONG, 100% WRONG about combining and saying that the new testament and the gnostic scriptures are concerned with the same thing. IMO the new testament is a perversion along with what is known about the OT.

The gnostic texts make the distinction between the True Father and Yaltabaoth (the old testament GOD) whom people STILL worship erroneously because Jesus Christs' true message has been altered & suppressed.

Can you re-read what you have written and tell me how I am wrong?

I am scared of faiths that lead to this kind of misguided views of the G.d that I do follow whole heartedly. I don't ask you to accept my view, but before you say that I am worshiping the Creator erroneously, could you try to understand it at least. You might see that perhaps you have misjudged it.

I am not telling anyone to believe what I say.. I am just saying that *this*.. what you have just done, is what faith does.. it misjudges others and their views.

I am not a bad person and I am very much in favor of knowledge. I have not mocked the god that you serve... I have only said that I agree, yours is not based on the G.d of the Tanakh and for just the reason that you are still showing.

What I have said:
1. The NT sets up a god that is not based on the Tanakh.
2. The gnostic god also is not the G.d of the Tanakh.
3. And this is important knowledge to me... not to condemn your beliefs, but so as not to be associated with the false judgements that are coming out of you even now.

I think if people want to worship themselves or another god.. it is fine. But when that faith shows great lack of respect to another's right to search out knowledge and calls them ignorant for doing so, then it should becomes a great concern for all.

That is my reason for wanting to disassociate from that kind of behaviour. I have seen great knowledge and Love and respect coming from the intelligence behind the words in the Tanakh. You don't have to believe it, but don't knock it and say I am wrong. I have not said anyone is wrong except to say that those gods are not based on the G.d of the Tanakh.

I promise that it is your misunderstanding about the Creator that you call Him ignorant. It is your lack of trying to understand the G.d in the Tanakh that leads to you saying I worship Him erroneously.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

He didn't support the GOD of the Tanakh, he clarified and revealed the distinctions between the OT God and the True Father who "sent" him.
and he showed us where the True Father had intervened on our behalf.

I am unsure how you could say this if you have really even taken the time to research both the Tanakh and the Word out of the mouth of Jesus.

It is the message that even you are seeming to miss in the Tanakh that the Word was speaking about. G.d did not change... it was the heart of man that needed to change. You don't see this because you speak from what you physically see. You are not reading the Tanakh with the heart, you are reading it with your eyes. That is what the Word (again, attributed to a man named Jesus) was speaking about..

G.d did not need to change, it was the Jewish eyes that needed to change (that was the point.. to not condemn others). They saw the physical and missed out on seeing it with the heart as it was intended to be seen.

The Tanakh is a mirror. When you read it.. what you feel is what is in your heart. So, you speak out about the G.d in there and to those who really understand it, it is sad because you are really only declaring yourself.

Matthew 15:

10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:

11Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

The traditions of the Tanakh are fine, but they were not the point and yet, this is how it was being shown...but the ones who were showing this were merely reflecting their own heart.

edited to add: in essence.. blind faith is what destroys... true knowledge is the path to Life.. that is the message of the Tanakh. If you judge it based on the words of the page, you are in essence judging yourself no matter how much you think you are not. *shrugs*

BUT you do NOT NEED the Tanakh to come to this understanding.. just to clarify.. I did not come to it based on the Tanakh.. I just realized that once I did, I could read it in another light. The truth is not the Tanakh... the truth is knowledge and wisdom to apply it.. pure and simple

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I promise that it is your misunderstanding about the Creator that you call Him ignorant. It is your lack of trying to understand the G.d in the Tanakh that leads to you saying I worship Him erroneously.

Yeh looking at the above post of yours I'd say we're arguing two entirely different points and it is useless. I'm now just posting this for anyone else who is interested, I'm not quite sure what you're arguing because I'm talking about something completely different.

It is not my misunderstanding about the Creator. It's just that the message Jesus Christ came to reveal and the job he came to do is a far different story in the gnostic scriptures than it is in the NT.
You can war ship whatever you want, I do not war ship, .. I merely read and it is not MY misunderstanding.

It is hard to sift through all of the garbage to explain this coherently because so much has been semantically attached to the exact opposite of what it's supposed to mean and the church has done a pleasant job of destroying the gnostic movements of the past.

But when that faith shows great lack of respect to another's right to search out knowledge and calls them ignorant for doing so, then it should becomes a great concern for all.

This is a great theory but if someone had faith and believed they should be with 11 year old children sexually and someone mainly the LAW doesn't agree with that, and says that person is ignorant it isn't a great concern, it's the proper thing to do so that person can reassess and alter their behavior.

2. Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

John 14:12-14 (King James Version)
12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

The direction and content goes in an entirely different direction, I am merely trying to clear that up.

It is my opinion that the bible as we have and know it today is to create confusion and to suppress the truth, the gnostic movement has been snuffed out many times in the past, the Vatican hate them because it would dissolve their power & riches to accept the Logos, the WORD, Christ.

www.gnosis.org...

"And when the light had mixed with the darkness, it caused the darkness to shine. And when the darkness had mixed with the light, it darkened the light and it became neither light nor dark, but it became dim.

"Now the archon who is weak has three names. The first name is Yaltabaoth, the second is Saklas, and the third is Samael. And he is impious in his arrogance which is in him. For he said, 'I am God and there is no other God beside me,' for he is ignorant of his strength, the place from which he had come.

"And the archons created seven powers for themselves, and the powers created for themselves six angels for each one until they became 365 angels. And these are the bodies belonging with the names: the first is Athoth, a he has a sheep's face; the second is Eloaiou, he has a donkey's face; the third is Astaphaios, he has a hyena's face; the fourth is Yao, he has a serpent's face with seven heads; the fifth is Sabaoth, he has a dragon's face; the sixth is Adonin, he had a monkey's face; the seventh is Sabbede, he has a shining fire-face. This is the sevenness of the week.

www.gnosis.org...

"And having created [...] everything, he organized according to the model of the first aeons which had come into being, so that he might create them like the indestructible ones. Not because he had seen the indestructible ones, but the power in him, which he had taken from his mother, produced in him the likeness of the cosmos. And when he saw the creation which surrounds him, and the multitude of the angels around him which had come forth from him, he said to them, 'I am a jealous God, and there is no other God beside me.' But by announcing this he indicated to the angels who attended him that there exists another God. For if there were no other one, of whom would he be jealous?

"Then the mother began to move to and fro. She became aware of the deficiency when the brightness of her light diminished. And she became dark because her consort had not agreed with her."

And I said, "Lord, what does it mean that she moved to and fro?" But he smiled and said, "Do not think it is, as Moses said, 'above the waters.' No, but when she had seen the wickedness which had happened, and the theft which her son had committed, she repented. And she was overcome by forgetfulness in the darkness of ignorance and she began to be ashamed. And she did not dare to return, but she was moving about. And the moving is the going to and fro.

"And the arrogant one took a power from his mother. For he was ignorant, thinking that there existed no other except his mother alone. And when he saw the multitude of the angels which he had created, then he exalted himself above them.

and the poor things they did to Adam and Eve trying to steal the breath Yaltaboath blew into their face that he stole from his mother in ignorance.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Christians I think need a rational brain. The impitus behind our modern unjust and over reactionary laws are based in as Dennis Prager states, in religious doctrine namely the ten commandments. Which with new theories that Moses was really a hexos pharough and was doing Psychedelics, that might explain the burning bush?

The modern religious person I think is lacking a function of reason, because of the indoctrination. I for instance am willing to try anything once. Except insane or inhuman things of course, but for instance i tried parties, where my christian family scorned my behavior and drove me insane with how God was going to damn me to hell..or God tells us to respect our leaders, or obey the law, its all to impose submission to the man made system. using a false and invented reality around a truth, that an interactive universe is something we are a part of. And It has been Simply constrained and set free via the Big Bang. We are fragments of the conciousness, still one, outside of our time/space/dimension yet inside, imagine the 8 or infinity symbol. looping through two worlds, 2 made 1.

This makes more sense. Christian biblical mystics and pastors who preach law and morality are the first to go onto my ignore list. because were all made to party, and to work to survive, anything in between is our freedom, unfortunately through our own confusion and disfunctional society, we have pissed off something, again. Hence the world stability and tragedies unceasing.

God made good and evil, because there is no good or evil, only time, space, and relativity. THe microcosm and the macrocosm. Im guessing dimensions are the same as our universe. Some are bigger than others, and its all moving, likely in a rope like spin.
[edit on 29-1-2009 by mastermind77]

[edit on 29-1-2009 by mastermind77]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join