It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kinglizard's Painting Avatar Set (Image Heavy) (CONTEST has ENDED)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Ooooh come on, you need to put a little effort and research in.

Ahhh, Ok.. so we can use google etc. my bad.
Cool, I'll give it a go.

here's me thinking it was just pot luck!!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Oh google is fine and if you just want to go with your gut that's okay too. I was just hoping people would learn something as they looked for answers....but it's okay to just have fun and take a random guess.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Na...i was being silly and sarcastic.
I guessed we could use google (how would you know) but it didn't help me.
I'm just rubbish, but i will not be deterred

Cheers

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
QUESTION: This painting is one of many and was painted at the artists home during his later years of life while a disabling illness came over his body.

William Michael Harnett "My Gems"

He had painful rheumatism.

[edit on 1/28/2009 by Badge01]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It is not William Michael Harnett "My Gems".

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I was just hoping people would learn something as they looked for answers....

I knew it!

It's a conspiracy to make us better people.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hints added to the opening post.

Everyone who has already posted an answer can offer a second guess because of the new hints.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
QUESTION: This painting is one of many and was painted at the artists home during his later years of life while a disabling illness came over his body.

How about Claude Monet, "Water Lilies and Agapanthus"?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

How about Claude Monet, "Water Lilies and Agapanthus"?

You are the Winner!

1000 BTS points coming at you shortly!

Question: This painting is one of many and was painted at the artists home during his later years of life while a disabling illness came over his body.

Answer: The painting is "Water Lillies" by Claude Monet the father of the impressionist movement. His water lillies paintings span over 250 as cataracts took his vision in the last half of his life. What could be more important to an artist? He found that the garden at his home provided endless inspiration because he said every minute of every day the light changed which depicted and entirely different garden.

Read more here:

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

New Game coming within the hour...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Was it the "father of his movement" hint that put the pieces together?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Woohoo!!!!!

It was the "father of" clue that did it by the way. I was all hug up on Renoir (who suffered from rheumatoid arthritis in his hands so badly that he had to strap a paintbrush to his wrist to continue painting after 1890 or so
). I figured it would be one of the vases of flowers but couldn't find a decent way to get dates for them all.

I am somewhat reminded of this thread, "The Gruesome Dispassion of Genius".

In that, Ian takes self-sacrifice to be a sign of dispassion in the service of knowledge, but after reading about all these artists struggling through overwhelming pain to continue their work, I wonder if it's not just that genius has a hunger for expression that is stronger than the drive for self-preservation.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Yeah man passion is a powerful force. I didn't know that about Renoir....thanks for sharing that.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
New question posted in the opening post!

New game answers only considered after this post.

Good Luck!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

QUESTION: This multi million dollar painting is split in two and nowhere to be found. This dramatic painting was painted in Amsterdam by an artist born in the 1600's.

the deposition - rembrandt

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It is not "The Deposition" by Rembrandt.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
QUESTION: This multi million dollar painting is split in two and nowhere to be found. This dramatic painting was painted in Amsterdam by an artist born in the 1600's.

Answer: Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn, Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness

Answer: Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn, Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee.

You are the Winner!

1000 BTS points coming at you shortly!

Yall are too good! I thought that would go on until tomorrow. I'm going to need to prepare more questions now.

QUESTION: This multi million dollar painting is split in two and nowhere to be found. This dramatic painting was painted in Amsterdam by an artist born in 1606.

Answer: Rembrandt van Rijn "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee". It was stolen in 1990 from a Boston museum along with like a dozen other paintings worth over 300 million. It is listed on the FBI's top ten art thefts web page in an attempt to recover information. The painting is split in two by the boat mast and it was split from it's frame when stolen.

Read more here:

teachrembrandt.locicero.net.customers.tigertech.net...

www.fbi.gov...

I'll have a new question tonight or more likely tomorrow.

[edit on 1/28/2009 by kinglizard]

[edit on 1/28/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Dude right artist, wrong picture - close but no cigar

:bnghd:

[edit on 28-1-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

Ahhhh well, It had to be dutch, as you said...right artist, wrong pic.
Worth a shot eh?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join